返回首页

AlexSteffen_2005G-_看望可持续发展的未来_

When I'm starting talks like this, 以前我做这样的演讲的时候
I usually do a whole spiel about sustainability because a lot of people out there don't know what that is. 通常是就可持续发展的理念大谈一通 因为很多人根本就不知道那是什么东西
spiel:vi.演奏音乐; n.流利夸张的讲话; vt.演奏音乐; sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性;
This is a crowd that does know what it is, so I'll like just do like the 60-second crib-note version. Right? 但这个会场里的人大都知道这个概念的意思 所以我就长话短说吧
So just bear with me. We'll go real fast, you know? 我会说得非常快 请大家见谅
Fill in the blanks. 没说到的地方就需要你们发挥想象填补空白了
So, you know, sustainability, small planet. 我们说可持续发展 地球很小
Right? Picture a little Earth, circling around the sun. 想象一个围绕着太阳转的地球
You know, about a million years ago, a bunch of monkeys fell out of trees, got a little clever, harnessed fire, invented the printing press , made, you know, luggage with wheels on it. 大约一百万年前的时候 一群猴子从树上爬下来 变聪明了 还学会了使用火 发明了印刷术 制造出带轮子的行李包
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; harnessed:v.给(马等)上挽具;控制,利用(以产生能量等);(harness的过去式和过去分词) printing press:n.印刷机; luggage:n.行李;皮箱;
And, you know, built the society that we now live in. 并且创造出了我们今天生活的这个世界
Unfortunately , while this society is, without a doubt, the most prosperous and dynamic the world has ever created, it's got some major, major flaws . 虽说我们这个社会是人类历史上最繁荣最有活力的社会 但不幸的是 这个社会同样存在着许多非常非常严重的问题
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; prosperous:adj.繁荣的;兴旺的; dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; flaws:n.[材]缺陷;[力]裂缝(flaw的复数);v.有裂纹;使有裂缝(flaw的单三形式);
One of them is that every society has an ecological footprint . 其中一点就是每一个社会都会留下它的生态足迹
ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印;
It has an amount of impact on the planet that's measurable . 并且这个足迹对我们星球的影响是可以测量的
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; measurable:adj.可测量的;重要的;重大的;
How much stuff goes through your life, how much waste is left behind you. 你一生中用了多少东西 这些东西中又有多少是以废物的形式遗留下来
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And we, at the moment, in our society, have a really dramatically unsustainable level of this. 而我们今天在这个世界上 过的是一种极其不可持续的生活
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; unsustainable:adj.无法支撑的;不可证实的;不能成立的;
We're using up about five planets. 我们将消耗5个地球的资源
If everybody on the planet lived the way we did, we'd need between five, six, seven, some people even say 10 planets to make it. 假如地球上人人都像美国人那样生活的话 有人说是5、6、7 甚至是10个地球 才能支持那样的生活方式
Clearly we don't have 10 planets. 但非常明显 我们没有10个地球
Again, you know, mental , visual , 10 planets, one planet, 10 planets, one planet. Right? 设想一下 10个地球 和1个地球 在你的心里 和在脑袋里设想一下
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的;
We don't have that. So that's one problem. 我们没有10个地球 这就带来了问题
The second problem is that the planet that we have is being used in wildly unfair ways. Right? 第二个问题是 在我们所拥有的这一个地球上 不同的人对资源的消耗又是及其不平等的
wildly:adv.野生地;野蛮地;狂暴地;鲁莽地;
North Americans, such as myself, you know, we're basically sort of wallowing , gluttonous hogs , and we're eating all sorts of stuff. 大多数北美洲的居民 比如我 就像贪吃的野猪一样 大量的消耗各种资源
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; wallowing:v.打滚,翻滚;沉湎;放纵(wallow的现在分词) gluttonous:adj.贪吃的,暴食的;饕餮的; hogs:[畜牧]猪;自私贪婪的人(hog的复数);
And then, you know, then you get all the way down to people who live in the Asia-Pacific region , or even more, Africa. 然后你再看看别的地方 看看住在亚太地区以及非洲的人们
region:n.地区;范围;部位;
And people simply do not have enough to survive. 住在那些地方的人连最基本的生存条件都得不到保障呢
This is producing all sorts of tensions , all sorts of dynamics that are deeply disturbing . 因此 这就造成了各种紧张关系 各种让人忧心的紧张气氛
tensions:张力;紧张; dynamics:n.动力学,力学; disturbing:adj.引起烦恼的;令人不安的;v.打扰;干扰;搅乱;使不安;(disturb的现在分词)
And there's more and more people on the way. Right? 而未来的日子里 地球上的人口还会变得越来越多
So, this is what the planet's going to look like in 20 years. 这就是20年后的地球的样貌
It's going to be a pretty crowded place, at least eight billion people. 到那时候 人口密度将变得非常大 至少将达到80亿
So to make matters even more difficult, it's a very young planet. 更糟糕的是,那时候的地球将会变得年轻化
A third of the people on this planet are kids. 三分之一的人将会是儿童
And those kids are growing up in a completely different way than their parents did, no matter where they live. 这些儿童,不管他们住在哪里 都将在一个和他们父母完全不同的环境下成长
They've been exposed to this idea of our society, of our prosperity . 他们知道我们这个所谓的发达社会的一些情况
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) prosperity:n.繁荣,成功;
And they may not want to live exactly like us. 但是他们不一定会像我们这样过日子
They may not want to be Americans, or Brits , or Germans, or South Africans, but they want their own version of a life which is more prosperous, and more dynamic, and more, you know, enjoyable . 他们也许不想像英国人或美国人 或德国人、南非人 那样子过日子 他们想选择一种自己的生活方式 一种更加富裕 更具活力 更多乐趣的方式
Brits:n.英国人(Brit的复数);布里茨(男子名); enjoyable:adj.快乐的;令人愉快的;
And all of these things combine to create an enormous amount of torque on the planet. 这一切加起来 将会给世界带来一股强大的张力
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; torque:n.转矩,[力]扭矩;项圈,金属领圈;
And if we cannot figure out a way to deal with that torque, we are going to find ourselves more and more and more quickly facing situations which are simply unthinkable . 假如我们找不到应对这股张力的办法 我们就会发现 我们会遇到越来越多不堪设想的局面
unthinkable:adj.不能想象的;过分的;
Everybody in this room has heard the worst-case scenarios . 这个房间里每个人都知道最坏的结局是什么
worst-case:adj.作最坏打算的;最糟情况的; scenarios:n.情节;脚本;情景介绍(scenario的复数);
I don't need to go into that. 我这里就不再重复
But I will ask the question, what's the alternative ? 但是我想提出一个问题 有没有另一种结局?
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
And I would say that, at the moment, the alternative is unimaginable . 我个人觉得另一种结局在目前来看是不太可能的
unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的;
You know, so on the one hand we have the unthinkable, on the other hand we have the unimaginable. 所以你看,我们被夹在一个不堪设想 和一个难以设想的结局中
on the one hand:一方面; on the other hand:另一方面;
We don't know yet how to build a society which is environmentally sustainable, which is shareable with everybody on the planet, which promotes stability and democracy and human rights, 我们现在还不知道怎么去建设一个社会 一个能够在环境上实现可持续发展的社会 一个人人都可以共享的社会 一个倡导稳定、民主和人权的社会
environmentally:adv.有关环境方面; promotes:v.促进;推动;促销;推销;提升;晋升;(promote的第三人称单数) stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心; democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
and which is achievable in the time-frame necessary to make it through the challenges we face. 在危机到来之前 可以建成的社会
achievable:adj.可完成的;可有成就的;做得成的; time-frame:n.期间时限;
We don't know how to do this yet. 我们还不知道该怎么做
So what's Worldchanging? 好 那什么是“改变世界”(Worldchanging)呢?
Well, Worldchanging you might think of as being a bit of a news service for the unimaginable future. 你可以将其视为 关于难以构想的未来的一个新闻报道
You know, what we're out there doing is looking for examples of tools, models and ideas, which, if widely adopted , would change the game. Right? 我们所做的报道 是关于一些工具、模型、以及创意的报道 这些东西假如能够得到大范围的推广使用 就能改变世界 是不是?
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
A lot of times, when I do a talk like this, I talk about things that everybody in this room I'm sure has already heard of, right, but most people haven't. 很多时候在做这类演讲的时候 我谈的是这个房间里大多数人都听说过的东西 但是地球上大多数人都还没有
So I thought today I'd do something a little different, and talk about what we're looking for, rather than saying, you know, rather than giving you tried and true examples. 所以我想今天就来点特别的 跟大家一同展望未来,说说我们可以做什么 而不是一味地讨论我们已经做了什么。
Talk about the kinds of things we're scoping out. 去讲述一些我们正在探索中的事物
scoping:v.仔细看;彻底检查(scope的现在分词)
Give you a little peek into our editorial notebook. 让大家看看我们的创意库里都有哪些好的想法
peek:v.窥视;偷看;探出;n.偷看,窥视;看一眼; editorial:adj.编辑的;社论的;n.社论;
And given that I have 13 minutes to do this, this is going to go kind of quick. 因为只有13分钟讲 所以我会讲得非常快
So, I don't know, just stick with me. Right? 大家就跟着我的节拍走 好吗
So, first of all , what are we looking for? Bright Green city. 首先我们想要的是什么 是绿色的城市
first of all:adv.首先;
One of the biggest levers that we have in the developed world for changing the impact that we have on the planet is changing the way that we live in cities. 发达国家为改变世界可以做的最有影响力的事情之一 就是 改变我们在城市里的生活方式
levers:n.杠杆;手段(lever的复数);v.用杠杆撬动(lever的第三人称单数);
We're already an urban planet, that's especially true in the developed world. 我们这个地球已经走向城市化了 特别是在发达国家
urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
And people who live in cities in the developed world tend to be very prosperous, and thus use a lot of stuff. 而生活在发达国家城市里的人口 通常比较富裕 也会消耗较多的资源
If we can change the dynamic, by first of all creating cities that are denser and more livable ... 假如我们能够改变这一点 去建造一些更紧凑、更适合居住的城市
denser:adj.密集的; (dense的比较级) livable:adj.适于居住的;生活过得有价值的;
Here, for example, is Vancouver , which if you haven't been there, you ought to go for a visit. It's a fabulous city. 比如说在温哥华 假如你没去过 你应该去那儿看看 那是一座非常棒的城市
Vancouver:n.温哥华(加拿大主要港市); fabulous:adj.难以置信的;传说的,寓言中的;极好的;
And they are doing density , new density , better than probably anybody else on the planet right now. 他们现在正在建设更为密集的城市 这是一种新式的密集的理念 他们比世界上其他地区做的更好
density:n.密度;
They're actually managing to talk North Americans out of driving cars, which is a pretty great thing. 他们做到了让人们摆脱驾车出行的习惯 这是一件非常棒的事情
So you have density. You also have growth management . 有了密度以后 还需要有增长管理
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
You leave aside what is natural to be natural. 让那些本是自然的东西按照其自身的规律生长
This is in Portland. That is an actual development. 这才是真正的发展
That land there will remain pasture in perpetuity . 这块地往后都成为牧场
pasture:n.草地;牧场;牧草;v.放牧;吃草; perpetuity:n.永恒;
They've bounded the city with a line. 他们创造了一个城市的界线
Nature, city. Nothing changes. 自然 城市 任何东西都没有改变
Once you do those things, you can start making all sorts of investments . 一旦你做了这些事情之后 你就可以做大量的投资
investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数)
You can start doing things like, you know, transit systems that actually work to transport people, in effective and reasonably comfortable manners. Right? 做很多其他的事情 比如建立一个名副其实的公交系统 使之既高效 又能给人们带来舒适感
transit:n.运输;经过;v.运送;经过; transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; reasonably:adv.合理地;相当地;适度地;
You can also start to change what you build. 你也可以改变你建房子的模式
This is the Beddington Zero Energy Development in London, which is one of the greenest buildings in the world. It's a fabulous place. 这是伦敦贝丁顿零能耗发展中心 它是世界上最绿色的建筑之一 那里的建筑非常美丽
We're able to now build buildings that generate all their own electricity , that recycle much of their water, that are much more comfortable than standard buildings, use all-natural light, et cetera , and over time cost less. 我们现在已经可以造出能够自我生产能量的房子 还能循环利用污水 并且舒适感也比标准的建筑好 用的是自然光 以及其他从长远来看可以更节约的方式
generate:v.产生;引起; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; recycle:v.回收利用;再利用; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; et cetera:na.以及其他;
Green roofs. Bill McDonough covered that last night, so I won't dwell on that too much. 还有绿色屋顶 麦唐纳昨晚就讲过这个 我这里不多讲
McDonough:麦克多诺(美国地名); dwell:v.居住;栖身;
But once you also have people living in close proximity to each other, one of the things you can do is -- as information technologies develop -- you can start to have smart places. 而一旦你能够安排人们住得 彼此相隔较近 你就可以 依照资讯科技的发展模式 来实现智能安居的计划
in close proximity:与…极接近; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
You can start to know where things are. 你可以更清晰的知道东西都在哪里
When you know where things are, it becomes easier to share them. 当你知道东西在哪里之后 共享这样的资源就变得容易了
When you share them, you end up using less. 而一旦人们更多的共享 人们所用的资源总量就会减少
So one great example is car-share clubs, which are really starting to take off in the U.S., have already taken off in many places in Europe, and are a great example. 一个很好的例子就是车共享俱乐部 这样的俱乐部在美国才刚刚起步 而在欧洲以及其他地方已经有较大的发展了
If you're somebody who drives, you know, one day a week, do you really need your own car? 假如某人一周只开车一次 他是否真的需要一辆车?
Another thing that information technology lets us do is start figuring out how to use less stuff by knowing, and by monitoring, the amount we're actually using. 资讯科技带来的另一个好处 就是帮助我们了解并且监控我们的资源消耗量 了解自己用了多少资源 并且以此来避免无畏的浪费
information technology:n.信息技术;
So, here's a power cord which glows brighter the more energy that you use, which I think is a pretty cool concept, although I think it ought to work the other way around, that it gets brighter the more you don't use. 比如这根电线 当你用的电越多的时候 它就变得越亮 我认为这是一个非常棒的概念 但我觉得如果把它反过来使用,效果会更好 就是你用得越少 它就变得越亮
cord:n.(结实的)粗线,细绳;灯芯绒裤子;v.用索子捆[绑,扎];堆积(柴薪) glows:n.发光(glow的复数);v.发光(glow的第三人称单数形式);
But, you know, there may even be a simpler approach . 事实上 很多时候可以有更简单的做法
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
We could just re-label things. 比如改变我们对一些事情的叫法
This light switch that reads, on the one hand, flashfloods, and on the other hand, off. 就拿一个开关来说,它一边写着“关” 另一边写着“灯光泛滥
How we build things can change as well. 我们建造东西的方法也能加以改进
This is a bio-morphic building. 这是一个仿生建筑
It takes its inspiration in form from life. 其建造灵感来源于自然
Many of these buildings are incredibly beautiful, and also much more effective. 很多这样的建筑都非常美 并且更加高效
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
This is an example of bio-mimicry, which is something we're really starting to look a lot more for. 这是仿生建筑的一个例子 也是我们未来将会给予更多关注的一个地方
In this case, you have a shell design which was used to create a new kind of exhaust fan, which is greatly more effective. 大家看到的是一种贝壳式的设计 是当排气扇用的 它比其他的设计更高效
shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill; exhaust:v.耗尽; n.(车辆、发动机或机器排出的)废气; greatly:adv.很,大大地;非常;
There's a lot of this stuff happening, it's really pretty remarkable . 很多类似这样的产物长在发展中,让人觉得无比欣慰
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
I encourage you to look on Worldchanging if you're into it. 如果你感兴趣的话,我极力推荐大家看看“改变世界”(Worldchanging)网站
We're starting to cover this more and more. 我们关于这方面的报道越来越多了
There's also neo-biological design, where more and more we're actually using life itself and the processes of life to become part of our industry. 还有新型的生物设计 我们正在越来越多的使用生物体本身 并且将生物学的概念融入到我们的工业生产当中
processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式);
So this, for example, is hydrogen-generating algae . 这是一种能够制作氢气的蓝藻
algae:n.[植]藻类;[植]海藻;
So we have a model in potential , an emerging model that we're looking for of how to take the cities most of us live in, and turn them into Bright Green cities. 我们正在寻找一种具有潜在发展动力的 成型中的模式 通过这个模式 我们希望能够把大多数人居住的城市转变为绿色城市
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
But unfortunately, most of the people on the planet don't live in the cites we live in. 但不幸的是 地球上绝大多数的人都不是生活在跟我们一样的城市
cites:n.引文(cite的复数形式);v.援引(cite的第三人称单数形式);
They live in the emerging megacities of the developing world. 我们大多住在发展中国家的发展区
megacities:n.大城市(megacity的复数);
And there's a statistic I often like to use, which is that we're adding a city of Seattle every four days, a city the size of Seattle to the planet every four days. 我经常引用一个数据 那就是 每四天 地球上就会多出一座如西雅图那个规模的城市 或者是像西雅图那样的城市
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的; Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市);
I was giving a talk about two months ago, and this guy, who'd done some work with the U.N., came up to me and was really flustered , and he said, look, you've got that totally wrong, it's totally wrong. 两个月前 我做了一次演讲 结束后,一个曾在联合国工作的人找到了我 他说他听了我的演讲感到非常气愤 对我说 你讲的完全错误
flustered:adj.慌张的;激动不安的;v.慌张;混乱(fluster的过去式及过去分词形式);
It's every seven days. 应该是每七天多出一座那样的城市
So, we're adding a city the size of Seattle every seven days, and most of those cities look more like this than the city that you or I live in. 好吧 我们每七天就多出一座如西雅图 而且大多数这样的城市会是这个样子 而不像我们居住的城市
Most of those cites are growing incredibly quickly. 并且它们成长得非常迅速
They don't have existing infrastructure , they have enormous numbers of people who are struggling with poverty , and enormous numbers of people are trying to figure out how to do things in new ways. Right? 那里没有现成的基础设施 很多人在贫困线上挣扎 很多人在寻思 如何运用新的思路去解决问题
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
So what do we need in order to make developing nation megacities into Bright Green megacities? 我们可以做点什么 把这些发展中国家里的新兴城市变成绿色城市?
Well, the first thing we need is, we need leapfrogging . 我们首先需要的是蛙跳式发展
leapfrogging:v.越级提升;(leapfrog的现在分词)
And this is one of the things that we are looking for everywhere. 而这一点我们在所有地方都看得到
The idea behind leapfrogging is that if you are a person, or a country, who is stuck in a situation where you don't have the tools and technologies that you need, there's no reason for you to invest in last generation's technologies. Right? 其本质内涵就是 假如一个人或一个国家 因为缺乏工具和技术而难以发展 那么是没有必要去投资于陈旧的技术的
That you're much better off, almost universally , looking for a low-cost or locally applicable version of the newest technology. 假如你采用一些低成本或适合本地使用的新技术 你的日子会过得更好
universally:adv.普遍地;人人;到处; low-cost:adj.廉价的;价格便宜的; locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上; applicable:adj.可适用的;可应用的;合适的;
One place we're all familiar with seeing this is with cell phones. Right? 手机就是一个很好的例子
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
All throughout the developing world, people are going directly to cell phones, skipping the whole landline stage. 发展中国家的人都在开始使用手机 他们直接跳过了座机电话这一步
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; landline:n.陆上运输;地上通讯线;输送路线;
If there are landlines in many developing world cities, they're usually pretty crappy systems that break down a lot, and cost enormous amounts of money. Right? 假如说 在某些国家有座机电话的话 那都是些很烂的设施 几乎不能发挥作用 反而需要更多的财力去维修
landlines:陆上通信线(landline的复数); crappy:adj.蹩脚的;糟糕的;没价值的;
So I rather like this picture here. 所以我更喜欢看到这样的图景
I particularly like the Ganesh in the background, talking on the cell phone. 尤其是后面那个打手机的象头神
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Ganesh:象鼻神;
So what we have, increasingly , is cell phones just permeating out through society. 我们社会上越来越多的 将会是手机
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; permeating:vt.渗透,透过;弥漫;vi.弥漫;透入;散布;
We've heard all about this here this week, so I won't say too much more than that, other than to say what is true for cell phones is true for all sorts of technologies. 我们上周就已经谈过这事情了 我这里不多说 只想说 手机是这样子 其他技术也是这样子
The second thing is tools for collaboration , be they systems of collaboration , or intellectual property systems which encourage collaboration. Right? 第二个是合作的工具 不管是合作之系统 还是知识产权体系 他们都鼓励合作 对吧
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; intellectual property:知识产权;
When you have free ability for people to freely work together and innovate , you get different kinds of solutions. 当人们可以共同参与某件事情的时候 他们的积极性会更高 你会得到各种不同的反馈
innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人;
And those solutions are accessible in a different way to people who don't have capital. Right? 穷人和富人要寻找解决方案 他们的的门道也不一样
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
So, you know, we have open source software, we have Creative Commons and other kinds of Copyleft solutions. Right? 我们有开源程序员 我们有Creative Commons以及其他的非盈利性授权协议
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; Creative:adj.创造性的;
And those things lead to things like this. 它们所带来的正如这张照片所展示的
This is a Telecentro in Sao Paulo. 这是巴西圣保罗的电信中心
This is a pretty remarkable program using free and open source software, cheap sort of hacked together machines, and basically sort of abandoned buildings -- has put together a bunch of community centers 这是一个非常好的计划 他们使用自由开源软件 以及一些废置的机器 还有一幢旧建筑 就搭起了多个社区中心
hacked:v.砍;劈;猛踢;非法侵入(hack的过去分词和过去式) abandoned:adj.被抛弃的放纵的;v.抛弃;丢弃,离开;放弃;(abandon的过去分词和过去式) put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
where people can come in, get high-speed internet access, learn computer programming skills for free. 人们可以去到那里上网 学习编程 一切都是免费的
And a quarter-million people every year use these now in Sao Paulo. 圣保罗每一年有25万人使用这样的服务
And those quarter-million people are some of the poorest people in Sao Paolo. 并且他们大多数是圣保罗最贫穷的人
I particularly like the little Linux penguin in the back. 我尤其喜欢后面那个Linux企鹅
Linux:n.Linux操作系统(一种类似于UNIX的计算机操作系统); penguin:n.企鹅;
So one of the things that that's leading to is a sort of southern cultural explosion . 由此而触发了南半球的文化爆炸
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; explosion:n.爆炸;爆发;激增;
And one of the things we're really, really interested in at Worldchanging is the ways in which the south is re-identifying itself, and re-categorizing itself in ways that have less and less to do with most of us in this room. 我们Worldchanging最最关注的一点 就是南半球如何重新自我定位 重新把自己放到合适的地方 而不是单纯学习我们
So it's not, you know, Bollywood isn't just answering Hollywood. Right? 宝莱坞不仅仅是在冲击好莱坞
Bollywood:n.宝莱坞(位于印度孟买的电影制作中心);
You know, Brazilian music scene isn't just answering the major labels . 巴西音乐也不是为了要抗衡主流音乐
labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式);
It's doing something new. There's new things happening. 他们是在寻找新的做事方式 而这样的方式正在出现
There's interplay between them. And, you know, you get amazing things. 这是一个双方相互学取长补短的过程
interplay:n.相互影响,相互作用;vi.相互影响,相互作用;
Like, I don't know if any of you have seen the movie "City of God?" 不知大家看过《上帝之城》没有?
Yeah, it's a fabulous movie if you haven't seen it. 一部相当出色的电影
And it's all about this question, in a very artistic and indirect kind of way. 整个片子都是这个主题 但却是通过艺术化以及间接的手法展现出来
artistic:adj.艺术的;风雅的;有美感的; indirect:adj.间接的;迂回的;非直截了当的;
You have other radical examples where the ability to use cultural tools is spreading out. 还有别的更为让人激动的例子 那是全新的文化交流的方式
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
These are people who have just been visited by the Internet bookmobile in Uganda . 这班孩子刚刚迎来了 乌干达因特网流动图书室的人员
bookmobile:n.流动的汽车图书馆; Uganda:n.乌干达(非洲国家);
And who are waving their first books in the air, which, I just think that's a pretty cool picture. You know? 他们正在挥舞自己拿到手的第一本书 我认为这是一张很棒的照片,对不对?
So you also have the ability for people to start coming together and acting on their own behalf in political and civic ways. 你还能让人们站出来 通过政治和文明的方式去保护自己的权益
behalf:n.代表;利益; civic:adj.市的;公民的,市民的;
In ways that haven't happened before. 以前还从未曾发生过这种事情
And as we heard last night, as we've heard earlier this week, are absolutely , fundamentally vital to the ability to craft new solutions, is we've got to craft new political realities. 我们昨晚和本周早些时候 就已经听说 这些行动对于人们寻找到新的解决之道 去争取新的政治图景具有绝对的重要价值
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的; craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作;
And I would personally say that we have to craft new political realities, not only in places like India, Afghanistan , Kenya, Pakistan, what have you, but here at home as well. 我个人认为 我们需要重塑一种新的政治 不但是在印度 阿富汗 肯尼亚 巴基斯坦 或者其他你想象得到的地方 在美国本土 我们同样需要这么做
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
Another world is possible. 另一种世界是可能的
And sort of the big motto of the anti-globalization movement. Right? 这是当年反全球化的口号 对不对?
motto:n.座右铭,格言;箴言;
We tweak that a lot. 我们改了一下
tweak:vt.扭;拧;扯;稍稍调整;n.扭;拧;扯;轻微调整
We talk about how another world isn't just possible, another world's here. 我们想说 另一种世界不仅仅是可能的 而且就在眼前
That it's not just that we have to sort of imagine there being a different, vague possibility out there, but we need to start acting a little bit more on that possibility. 它不仅仅是说 我们要去想象 一个不一样的、模糊的世界 并且还要从自我做起 按照那样的生活模式来生活
vague:adj.模糊的;含糊的;不明确的;暧昧的;
We need to start doing things like Lula, President of Brazil . 我们需要像巴西总统卢拉那样做事情
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
How many people knew of Lula before today? 有多少人之前是知道卢拉这个名字的
OK, so, much, much better than the average crowd, I can tell you that. 好 很好 比我通常遇到的情况好多了
So Lula, he's full of problems, full of contradictions , but one of the things that he's doing is, he is putting forward an idea of how we engage in international relations that 卢拉本人也面对诸多的问题 他自己也是一个矛盾的体现 但他做的一件事情是 他提出一个关于国际关系的主张
contradictions:n.不一致,矛盾,对立;反驳;驳斥;(contradiction的复数) engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
completely shifts the balance from the standard sort of north-south dialogue into a whole new way of global collaboration. 不再按照传统的南北对立来看待国际问题 而是从全球合作的角度来重新看待这一问题
shifts:n.转移; v.转移; (shift的第三人称单数) north-south:adj.纵贯的;n.北-南; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
I would keep your eye on this fellow. 我希望大家能继续关注他
Another example of this sort of second superpower thing is the rise of these games that are what we call serious play. 另外一种超级强大的力量 就是我们通常所说的“严肃的游戏”
superpower:n.超级大国;超级强权;
We're looking a lot at this. This is spreading everywhere. 我们平日也研究过许多 这些玩意正在全球扩散
This is from "A Force More Powerful." It's a little screenshot . 这是“更加勇猛有力”的一个屏幕截图
screenshot:n.屏幕截图(截图软件名称);
'"A Force More Powerful" is a video game that, while you're playing it, it teaches you how to engage in non-violent insurrection and regime change. 它是一款视频游戏 玩家可以在玩的过程中学会如何 通过非暴力的方式来解决起义以及政权变更的突发事情
video game:n.电子游戏; non-violent:adj.非暴力的; insurrection:n.暴动;叛乱; regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制;
Here's another one. This is from a game called "Food Force," 还有这个 叫“粮食力量”
which is a game that teaches children how to run a refugee camp. 它是教孩子如何管理难民营的
refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的;
These things are all contributing in a very dynamic way to a huge rise in, especially in the developing world, in people's interest in and passion for democracy. 所有这些都以一种动态的方式 去点燃了人们 特别是发展中国家的人们 内心那种对民主的兴趣与热情
contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词) passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
We get so little news about the developing world, that we often forget that there are literally millions of people out there struggling to change things to be fairer, freer, more democratic , less corrupt . 我们对于发展中国家了解得如此少 以至于我们常常忘记了 那里也有数以百万计的人 正在为追求 更加民主更加开明的社会而奋斗
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的; corrupt:v.损坏;破坏;使腐化;使堕落;adj.贪污的;受贿的;腐败的;营私舞弊的;
And, you know, we don't hear those stories enough. 但是 我们所听得到的这类新闻太少了
But it's happening all over the place, and these tools are part of what's making it possible. 但它正在全球的各个角落里发生 而这些工具正是使得这些行动发生的原因
Now when you add all those things together, when you add together leapfrogging and new kinds of tools, you know, second superpower stuff et cetera, what do you get? 当你纵览这一切的时候 当你把蛙跳式发展与新式工具放在一起看的时候 以及刚才提到的第二种超强力量等等,你得到的是什么?
Well, very quickly, you get a Bright Green future for the developing world. 马上你就能预见一个明亮的绿色的未来
You get, for example, green power spread throughout the world. 比如说 可以在全世界范围内实现绿色能源
You get -- this is a building in Hyderabad, India. 还有 比如这个位于印度海德拉堡的建筑
It's the greenest building in the world. 它是世界上最绿色的建筑
You get grassroots solutions, things that work for people who have no capital or limited access. 还有草根的绿色行动方案 这些方案可以为经济条件差的人提供便利
grassroots:adj.基层的;草根的;乡村的;n.草根;基础; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
You get barefoot solar engineers carrying solar panels into the remote mountains. 还有赤脚太阳能工程师 他们把太阳能电池板带到了遥远的村落
barefoot:adj.赤脚的;adv.赤着脚地; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式); remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
You get access to distance medicine. 还有远程药物
These are Indian nurses learning how to use PDAs to access databases that have information that they don't have access to at home in a distant manner. 这些印度妇女正在学习使用PDA 来获取药物资讯 这些资讯他们通过传统的方式是很难获取的
distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的;
You get new tools for people in the developing world. 发展中国家的人们还获得了新的工具
These are LED lights that help the roughly billion people out there, for whom nightfall means darkness, to have a new means of operating. 这是LED灯管 全世界有10亿人受益于这样的灯管 没有了这样的工具 夜晚就是漆黑一片 根本无法开展生产
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; nightfall:n.黄昏;傍晚;日暮;
These are refrigerators that require no electricity, they're pot within a pot design. 这些冰箱无须电力 那是一种盘套盘的设计
And you get water solutions. Water's one of the most pressing problems. 还有关于水的解决方案 水危机是最为迫切的危机之一
Here's a design for harvesting rainwater that's super cheap and available to people in the developing world. 这是一种收集雨水的非常简便的方法 发展中国家的人也能使用
rainwater:n.雨水;软水;
Here's a design for distilling water using sunlight . 这是利用太阳能来净化饮用水
distilling:n.蒸馏的,蒸馏作用; sunlight:n.日光;
Here's a fog-catcher, which, if you live in a moist , jungle-like area, will distill water from the air that's clean and drinkable . 这是一个烟雾捕捉器 假如你生活在潮湿的地带 它就能直接从空气中提取出水分
moist:adj.潮湿的;多雨的;含泪的;n.潮湿; drinkable:adj.可饮用的;可以喝的;n.饮料(常用复数);
Here's a way of transporting water. 这是另一种运输水的方式
transporting:v.运输,运送,输送;传播;(transport的现在分词)
I just love this, you know -- I mean carrying water is such a drag , and somebody just came up with the idea of well, what if you rolled it. Right? 我非常爱这个 要知道用肩膀拉水是非常辛苦的 于是有人说 那能不能推着水桶走呢
drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石; what if:如果…怎么办?
I mean, that's a great design. 我想说 这是一个伟大的设计
This is a fabulous invention, LifeStraw. 这又是一个伟大的发明 它是一种救命的稻草
Basically you can suck any water through this and it will become drinkable by the time it hits your lips. 通过这根草 你可以饮用任何地方的水 当水送到你嘴边的时候 就可以喝了
suck:v.吸吮;吸取;n.吮吸;
So, you know, people who are in desperate straits can get this. 那些生活在物资匮乏地区的人们正需要这样的东西。
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的; straits:n.[海洋]海峡;困难(strait的复数);
This is one of my favorite Worldchanging kinds of things ever. 这是我最喜欢的一个改变世界的玩意
This is a merry-go-round invented by the company Roundabout , which pumps water as kids play. You know? 这是由Roundabout公司开发的旋转木马 孩子一边玩 一边就给水泵提水
merry-go-round:旋转木马 Roundabout:adj.迂回的,绕道的;圆滚滚的;n.迂回路线;环状交叉路口; pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送;
Seriously -- give that one a hand, it's pretty great. 说真的 这是一个很不错的创意
And the same thing is true for people who are in absolute crisis . Right? 这对于那些处于危机地区的人而言 同样适用
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
We're expecting to have upwards of 200 million refugees by the year 2020 because of climate change and political instability . 我们预计 到了2020年的时候 世界将会有2亿难民 由于气候变化以及政治不稳定
upwards:adv.向上;在上部;向上游; refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数) instability:n.不稳定(性);基础薄弱;不安定;
How do we help people like that? 我们怎么去帮助这些人
Well, there's all sorts of amazing new humanitarian designs that are being developed in collaborative ways all across the planet. 我们已经看到了各种各样新型的人本建筑设计 正在以一种合作的方式在发展中国家铺开
humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者; collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的;
Some of those designs include models for acting, such as new models for village instruction in the middle of refugee camps. 其中有些设计就包含了公民参与的成分 比如说在难民营中建造新的乡村
New models for pedagogy for the displaced . 对于残障人士的新的教育模式
pedagogy:n.教育;教育学;教授法; displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词)
And we have new tools. 还有新的工具
This is one of my absolute favorite things anywhere. 这是我看过的最令我喜欢的东西
Does anyone know what this is? 有人知道它是什么吗?
Audience: It detects landmines . 观众回答:它可以探测到地雷
detects:发现; landmines:n.地雷(landmine的复数);
Exactly, this is a landmine-detecting flower. 没错,这是一个扫雷花!
If you are living in one of the places where the roughly half-billion unaccounted for mines are scattered , you can fling these seeds out into the field. 假如你生活在这样的地方 那里有5亿个地雷就散布在地面上 没人知道它们的确切位置 你可以向地里散布这样的种子
unaccounted for:adj.未予说明的;未加解释的; scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式) fling:v.猛扔;扔,掷,抛,丢;n.一阵尽情欢乐;一时的放纵;
And as they grow up, they will grow up around the mines, their roots will detect the chemicals in them, and where the flowers turn red you don't step. 它们会在地雷边生长 它们的根系能够探测到地雷中的化学物质 假如花朵变红了 你就千万不要踩那个地方
chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数)
Yeah, so seeds that could save your life. You know? 这就是能够救活你的生命的种子
(Applause) (掌声)
I also love it because it seems to me that the example, the tools we use to change the world, ought to be beautiful in themselves. 我喜欢这个的另一个原因是 我们所讲的改变世界的例子 工具 其本身也应该是美的
You know, that it's not just enough to survive. 因为单单求得生存是不够的
We've got to make something better than what we've got. 我们需要做得比我们现在做的更好
And I think that we will. 我认为我们可以做得到这一点
Just to wrap up, in the immortal words of H.G. Wells, 最后用H.G. 威尔斯不朽的名言来作结
wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾; immortal:adj.不朽的;神仙的;长生的;n.神仙;不朽人物;
I think that better things are on the way. 我认为我们将会看到更美好的东西
I think that, in fact, that "all of the past is but the beginning of a beginning. 过去的一切,都仅仅是开端的开始
All that the human mind has accomplished is but the dream before the awakening ." 人类心智所实现的 不过是睡醒之前的一场梦
accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式) awakening:n.醒悟; v.(使)醒来; adj.唤醒的;
I hope that that turns out to be true. 我希望这个梦会变为事实
The people in this room have given me more confidence than ever that it will. 而这个房间里的人让我更加坚信,这个梦会实现的。
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家
(Applause) (鼓掌)