|
|
AlexSmith_2021-_nfl_四分卫克服挫败和自我怀疑_
|
I wake up in a hospital bed and I'm surrounded by doctors. |
我在医院的病床上醒来, 旁边围绕着医生。 |
Everything is hazy . |
一切都很朦胧。 |
I've been in and out of consciousness for over a week. |
超过一周的时间,我都在 有意识和无意识之间游走。 |
The doctors are telling me that I have a bad infection in my leg. |
医生告诉我,我的腿部严重感染。 |
They say that they've operated eight times already. |
他们说他们已经动了八次手术。 |
hazy:adj.朦胧的;模糊的;有薄雾的; consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉; infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病;
|
They say that at one point my fever spiked and my immune system started attacking my body. |
他们说,有一回,我发高烧, 我的免疫系统开始攻击我的身体。 |
I went septic and almost died. |
我差点因败血症而死。 |
And then one of the doctors says this: "As we speak, flesh-eating bacteria is crawling up your leg. |
接着,其中一位医生说: 「我们说话的同时,吃人肉的 细菌正沿着你的腿向上爬。 |
It's getting closer to your vital organs every minute." |
每分钟,它们都更接近 你的重要器官。」 |
spiked:adj.尖的;有穗的;加入标准的; immune system:n.免疫系统; septic:adj.败血症的;[医]脓毒性的;腐败的;n.腐烂物; flesh-eating:adj.食肉的; bacteria:n.[微]细菌; crawling:v.爬行;匍匐行进;(crawl的现在分词) vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
|
Good morning to you, too, doctor. |
也祝你早安,医生。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Let me back up. |
让我倒带一下。 |
I'm a professional football player. |
我是职業美式足球员。 |
I played quarterback . |
我的位置是四分卫。 |
And two weeks earlier, two defenders , almost 500 pounds of muscle , crushed me at the same time . |
两周前,两个防守的球员, 接近五百磅的肌肉, 同时撞挤我。 |
It sounds scary, but honestly, it's pretty normal in my line of work. |
听起来很可怕,但,老实说,在我这一行这很正常。 |
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; quarterback:n.橄榄球的四分卫; vt.(以四分卫)指挥进攻; (橄榄球中)担任四分卫; defenders:n.后卫;防御者(defender的复数); muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出; crushed:v.压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的过去分词和过去式) at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
This time, though, my leg was bending where it shouldn't. |
不过,这一次, 我的脚被弯到不该弯的状态。 |
I had what they call a compound spiral fracture , which means that my leg was twisted and snapped diagonally , kind of like a corkscrew . |
我的骨折是所谓的复杂性螺旋骨折, 意思就是,我的脚被龙扭曲 然后以对角线的方式折断, 有点像开瓶的拔塞钻。 |
And yes, it's as painful as it sounds. |
是的,真的有听起来那么痛。 |
I knew right there on the field that my season was done. |
当场,我就知道 我这一季不能再上场了。 |
What took me a little longer to figure out was that my life was about to change forever. |
我多花了一点时间才知道, 我的人生即将永远改变。 |
compound:v.合成; adj.混合; n.大院; spiral:n.螺旋;旋涡;螺旋形之物;adj.螺旋形的;v.使成螺旋形;vi.盘旋;螺旋形上升; fracture:n.(指事实)骨折;(指状态)断裂;破裂;v.(使)断裂;破裂;(使)分裂; twisted:adj.扭曲的; v.使弯曲,使扭曲; (twist的过去分词和过去式) snapped:v.断裂,绷断; (snap的过去分词和过去式) diagonally:adv.对角地;斜对地; corkscrew:vt.硬拉出;探听;adj.螺旋形的;n.螺丝锥;vi.曲折行进; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
|
Two years after that gruesome injury , |
那次可怕的受伤事件过后两年, |
I actually ran back out onto that field and led my team to the playoffs . |
我实际跑回到了球场上,领导我的球队打进季后赛。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But what I want to talk about today isn't some rousing comeback story where the crowd chants my name. |
但我今天不是来谈某种 激动人心东山再起的故事, 有群众还喊着我的名字。 |
gruesome:adj.可怕的;阴森的; injury:n.伤害,损害;受伤处; playoffs:n.季后赛; rousing:adj.活泼的;使奋起的;使感动的;v.唤醒;激怒;唤起(rouse的ing形式); comeback:n.恢复;复原; chants:吟唱,颂扬(chant的第三人称单数)
|
I want to talk about the stuff that happens out of you. |
我想要谈你无法掌控但却发生的事。 |
The stuff that athletes like me don't want to discuss because we think it makes us look weak. |
像我这样的运动员不想讨论的事, 因为我们认为那会 让我们看起来很软弱。 |
I want to talk about fear, anxiety and self-doubt . |
我想要谈恐惧、焦虑, |
Because if I wanted to really fully recover from my injury, |
因为如果我想要从受伤中完全复元, |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式); anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; self-doubt:n.自我怀疑;缺少自信;
|
I didn't just need to learn to walk and run again. |
我需要的不只是 重新学习走路和跑步。 |
I also needed something to run towards, something to live for. |
我也需要一个让我 有动力去做的目标, 活下去的目标。 |
After that first hazy conversation, in order to save my leg, the doctors actually removed part of my good thigh and reattached it to my busted-up leg. |
在初次的朦胧对谈之后, 医生必须要把我好的 那只大腿切除一部分, 用到我毁掉的那只脚上。 |
Now, they didn't know if the muscle would take, so after the surgery , every hour, the doctors and nurses would come in, unwrap the wound , apply a gel and search for a heartbeat in the muscle. |
他们不知道肌肉是否能承受,所以, 手术后, 医生和护理师就会进来, 拆开伤口的包扎, 涂上一种胶,寻找肌肉的心跳。 |
thigh:n.大腿;股;食用的鸡(等的)大腿; reattached:vt.(断肢)重新接上;再附着;(reattach的过去分词和过去式) surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; unwrap:vt.打开; wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害; apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; gel:vi.胶化;n.[物化]凝胶,胶体; heartbeat:n.心跳;情感;
|
Every time I would make them put up this big white sheet to block my vision , because from what I could tell, it wasn't a pretty sight. |
每次,我都请他们用 一大片白布挡住我的视线, 因为就我所知, |
My leg was essentially a giant open wound. |
基本上,我的脚 是个巨大的开放伤口。 |
When the doctors and nurses were back there, my wife would be back there with them trying to cheer me up . |
当医生和护理师在那里时, 我太太也会和他们 一起在那里,试着幫我打气。 |
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; essentially:adv.本质上;本来; giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 cheer me up:使我高兴;振作起来;
|
'"It looks so good." |
「看起来很好。」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Babe, it's so cool." |
「宝贝,这好酷。」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
There was no way she was going to get me to look down there. |
她不可能让我向下看我的脚。 |
The truth is, I couldn't bear to. |
事实是,我也承受不了去看一眼。 |
Not because I couldn't stomach it, but because I couldn't accept what had happened to me. |
不是我无法消化那个画面, 而是因为我无法接受 我会遇到这种事。 |
This went on for months. |
这状况持续了几个月。 |
At the time I was wheelchair-bound , at home, my wife had to be there for me every second of the day, even helping me to go to the bathroom. |
当轮椅成为我的一部分时, 在家里,我太太每天 无时无刻都得在我身边, 甚至要协助我上厕所。 |
I spent most of my days sitting propped up on the couch just thinking, was I ever going to walk again? |
我几乎整天都撑坐在沙发上,想着, 我还能再走路吗? |
Play catch with my kids again? |
还能和我的孩子玩接球吗? |
Wrestle with them on the living room floor? |
和他们在客厅地上扭打成一团? |
wheelchair-bound:坐轮椅的; propped:v.支撑;(prop的过去分词和过去式) couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着; Wrestle:n.摔跤;搏斗;斗争;v.摔跤;斗争;斟酌; living room:n.客厅;起居室;
|
All this for a stupid, meaningless game? |
这一切都只为了一场 无意义、愚蠢的比赛? |
To that point, my life had been so big, so full of possibility, but now it all seemed to be spiraling down, like that fracture in my leg. |
在那时点之前,我的人生功成名就, 充满了可能性。 但现在,一切似乎 都被漩涡卷下去了, 和我脚部的骨折一样惨。 |
And I'll be honest, this wasn't the first time that my mind had been twisted up like that. |
老实说,那不是我第一次 有那么扭曲的想法。 |
Let me tell you how my career started. |
让我告诉各位我的职涯如何开始。 |
I was this nothing college recruit . |
我是个无所成的大学新手。 |
spiraling:adj.盘旋的; v.盘旋着上升或下降; (spiral的现在分词) career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; recruit:n.新兵; v.吸收(新成员); (通过招募)组成;
|
But in my last two years at school, |
但我在学校的最后两年, |
I played pretty well and somehow catapulted up to be the first pick in the NFL draft . |
我打得挺好的, 不知怎么的就让我一跃成了 NFL 的选秀状元。 |
Over the course of a couple of months, |
在短短几个月间,我从 大部分人都没听过的小卒, |
I went from a guy most people hadn't even heard of to the next great quarterback to the San Francisco 49ers. |
成了旧金山四九人队中 下一个伟大的四分衞。 |
Joe Montana , Steve Young, me. |
乔·蒙坦纳、史提夫·扬、 我。 |
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; catapulted:n.弹弓; vt.用弹弓射; vi.用弹射器弹射; draft:n.草案; v.起草; adj.供役使的; Montana:n.蒙大纳(美国州名);
|
I was a 20-year-old kid at the time, and I didn't handle that pressure well. |
当时我才二十岁, 我没有把那些压力处理得很好。 |
I got really, really anxious. |
我变得非常非常焦虑。 |
Do I really belong here? |
我真的属于这里吗? |
How long until they find out I'm a fraud ? |
他们要多久才会发现我根本没本事? |
The questions paralyzed me. |
这些问题让我好无力。[04:53] |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸; fraud:n.欺骗;骗子;诡计; paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
|
I was absolutely terrified to make mistakes, and I was desperate for others' validation . |
我超怕犯错, 且我好渴望别人认可。 |
It followed me around 24/7. |
我无时无刻都摆脱不了这些。 |
I got to where I couldn't eat before games, |
后来我甚至在比赛前都无法进食, |
I constantly felt nauseous . |
我经常想吐。 |
I'd be at the dinner table with my wife or some friends, and I just ... |
在餐桌上和我太太或朋友 共进晚餐时,我会……[05:10] |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的; validation:n.确认;批准;生效; constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; nauseous:adj.令人作呕的;厌恶的; dinner table:n.餐桌;同一桌进餐;
|
I wasn't there. |
我人在心不在。 |
To the outside world, I was playing this game I loved. |
对外界来说,我是在 打我喜欢的比赛。 |
I'd achieved what millions of kids grow up dreaming about. |
我达成了数百万孩子成长时的梦想。 |
But in my mind, I was sinking like a stone. |
但在我心中,我像个 石头一样不断下沉。 |
It stayed that way for the better part of five years. |
五年的大部分时间里 情况就是这样。 |
I'd have some success, but then I'd get injured or get a new coach. |
我有些成功,但接着, 我会受伤或换新教练。 |
And the cycle would start over again. |
循环又再来一次。 |
And then I got two key pieces of advice. |
接着,我得到了两个很重要的建议。 |
The first came in the form of a guy named Jim Harbaugh. |
第一个建议来自吉姆·哈柏。[05:43] |
for the better:好转,向好的方向发展; injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员;
|
He was my coach at the time. |
当时,他是我的教练。 |
Now, what's best about coach Harbaugh is he simply does not care what other people think about him. |
哈柏教练最棒的一点就是 他就是不在乎别人对他的看法。 |
He couldn't be more comfortable in his pleated khakis and tucked-in sweatshirt . |
他可以非常自在地穿打褶的 卡其裤,并把运动衫扎到裤子里。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now, coach Harbaugh used to tell the team the same thing right before we would take the field on game day. |
以前每次上场比赛前 哈柏教练都会跟我们说同样的话。 |
He would say, "Play as hard as you can, as fast as you can, for as long as you can. |
他会说:「比赛时尽最大努力, 用最快的速度, 尽量撑着, |
pleated:adj.起褶的;v.给…打褶(pleat的过去式); khakis:n.卡其裤;卡其服装;卡其黄;(khaki的复数) sweatshirt:n.运动衫;T-恤衫; as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
|
And don't worry." |
然后就别担心。」 |
'"Don't worry." |
「别担心。」 |
It sounds simple, and it is, but I guess I didn't really believe it was possible until it came from somebody that I trusted. |
听起来很简单,是很简单。 但,要由我信任的人来告诉我, 我才相信这是有可能的。 |
Around the same time, I had a teammate named Blake Costanzo. |
那时我有一位队友 叫布雷克·科斯坦佐。 |
Blake was a linebacker who was a little nuts. |
布雷克是后卫,有点疯狂。 |
Before games, he would run around the locker room and he would get in everybody's face and he'd ask, "Are you going to live today? |
比赛前,他会在更衣室跑来跑去, 然后跑到每个人面前, 他会问: 「你要活在今天吗? |
Blake:n.布莱克(英国作家); linebacker:n.(橄榄球的)中后卫球员; run around:n.遁词;借口; locker room:n.更衣室;
|
I'm going to live today, are you?" |
我要活在今天,你呢?」 |
At first, I didn't get it. |
一开始,我听不懂。 |
But then he started to win me over. |
但,他开始赢得我的心。 |
He was a guy who approached the game in the exact opposite way that I did. |
这个家伙比赛的方式和我完全相反。 |
He was taking the challenge head on. |
他面对面迎接挑战。 |
He was fully present, right in the moment. |
他全心全意投入在当下。 |
Right in my face, just live. |
直面我, |
These ideas were a counterweight to all my doubts. |
这些想法完全与我的怀疑抗衡。[07:08] |
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) counterweight:n.平衡力;平衡物;
|
And wouldn't you know it? |
你猜如何? |
I started playing better. |
我开始打得更好了。 |
Started having fun again, and we started winning. |
又开始找到乐趣了, 我们也开始赢球了。 |
For the rest of my career, I would talk to a small group of teammates before games and tell them some form of the same thing. |
在接下来的职涯中,比赛前 我都会招集一小群队友, 以某种形式告诉他们 同样的内容: |
Just live. |
只管活在当下。 |
And even as I got traded twice and replaced by a couple of great young quarterbacks , |
即使我被球队卖掉两次, 也被 一些很棒的年轻四分卫取代过, |
I stuck with that ethic . |
我仍然坚持这原则。 |
But when my leg got infected , |
但,当我的脚被感染时, |
I completely lost that perspective . |
我完全失去了那种观点。 |
You might as well have taken that white sheet I was hiding behind and draped it over my face because I wasn't really living. |
你倒不如把那块让我躲藏的白布 直接盖在我脸上, 因为我没有真正活着。[07:39] |
quarterbacks:n.橄榄球的四分卫; vt.(以四分卫)指挥进攻; vi.(橄榄球中)担任四分卫; ethic:n.伦理;道德规范;adj.伦理的;道德的(等于ethical); infected:adj.带菌的; v.传染; (infect的过去分词和过去式) perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; might as well:不妨,何妨;还是…的好; draped:adj.垂褶袖;打褶形;vt.用布帘覆盖(drape的过去式及过去分词);
|
And once again, I needed somebody to help me snap out of it. |
再一次,我需要有人幫我振作起来。 |
That spring, I started rehabbing at a military facility called the Center for the Intrepid . |
那年春天,我开始到军事机构 「无畏卓越中心」做复健。 |
Because while my injury was unheard of for a football player, it was eerily similar to that of our wounded warriors . |
虽然以前没有美式 足球员受过我这种伤, 却和伤兵战士所受的伤很类似。 |
snap out of:从…中摆脱出来; rehabbing:n.康复;修复;修复的房屋;v.修复;修缮;(rehab的现在分词) military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资; Intrepid:adj.无畏的;勇敢的;勇猛的; unheard:adj.听不到的;未被倾听的;不予理睬的; eerily:adj.怪诞的;奇异的;可怕的; wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式) warriors:n.(尤指旧时的)武士,勇士,斗士(warrior的复数)
|
Basically , my leg exploded like I stepped on an IED. |
基本上,我的脚就像是踩上 土制爆裂物被炸断一样。 |
Before I got down there, I'd watched hours and hours of videos of these double and triple amputees and a lot of guys with injuries like mine who were going on to the Paralympics or rejoining the Army Rangers or the Navy SEALs. |
去那里之前,我看了不少小时的影片, 双或三断肢者的影片, 许多人的伤和我的很像, 他们会去参加残奥,或者 重新加入陆军游骑兵 或海军海豹部队。 |
Basically:adv.主要地,基本上; exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式) triple:adj.三部分的; n.三倍的数[量]; v.成为三倍; amputees:n.截肢(患)者;肢体切除者(amputee的复数); injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数) rejoining:n.再连接;团聚;v.使再连接;再加入(rejoin的ing形式); Rangers:n.园林管理员;护林人;女童子军;突击队员;(ranger的复数) Navy:n.海军;深蓝色的;
|
I was in awe of them. |
我好敬佩他们。 |
I wanted to be like them. |
我想跟他们一样。 |
But one of my PTs, Johnny Owens, made sure I knew right away it wasn't going to be easy to get back on my feet. |
但,我的其中一位私人教练 强尼·欧文斯确保我马上知道 要重新站起来不会是易事。 |
Literally . |
真的。 |
The first day I was down there, |
在那里的第一天,[08:36] |
awe:vt.使敬畏;使畏怯;n.敬畏; right away:立刻; Literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
I was doing a balance exercise on my good leg and he just shoved me right in the chest. |
我用 好的那只脚在做平衡练习, 他就直接朝我的胸口推了一把。 |
'"Come on, Alex." |
「来呀,艾力克斯。」 |
Then he shoved me again. |
他又推了我一次。 |
'"Come on, you can do better than that." |
「来呀,你可以做得更好。」 |
Then he did something that changed my recovery completely. |
他接下来做的事, 完全改变了我的复元过程。[08:48] |
shoved:v.猛推;乱挤;推撞;乱放;(shove的过去分词和过去式) recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获;
|
He handed me a football. |
他拿了一个美式足球给我。 |
You see, after spending years and years of my life with a football in my hands, |
要知道,花了这么多年过着 手上总有颗美式足球的日子, |
I hadn't touched one for months since my injury. |
我受伤后却有好几个月 都没碰过美式足球。 |
It was like reattaching a lost limb . |
那就好像接上断肢一样。 |
He told me to throw from one knee. |
他叫我靠一腿来传球。 |
I zipped one to him. |
我传了一球给他。 |
A better kind of spiral. |
这种螺旋比较好。 |
From that point on, if you put a ball in my hands, |
从那一刻起,如果你 把球交到我手中,[09:14] |
reattaching:v.(断肢)重新接上;再附着;(reattach的现在分词) limb:n.肢,臂;分支;枝干;v.切断…的手足;从…上截下树枝;
|
I felt stronger. |
我会觉得更强壮。 |
I did my exercises better. |
我的练习也做得比较好。 |
I can't explain it, but I felt lighter. |
我无法解释,但我觉得变轻了。 |
I felt alive. |
我觉得我活着。 |
After that first visit, |
第一次造访之后, |
I felt like I had permission to dream again. |
我觉得我被允许再次作梦了。 |
I thought about getting back out onto the field. |
我会想着要回到球场上。 |
If I make it back, great, if I don't, who cares, at least I was living for something. |
如果我能回去,很棒, 如果不能,谁在乎? 至少我有为了什么而活。 |
And that's the mentality that carried me through my recovery. |
就是这种心态带着我 完成了复元过程。 |
Through numerous setbacks , both physically and mentally , |
撑过许多身体上和心理上的挫败。 |
I eventually got cleared by the doctors. |
最终,我得到医生的核准, |
I actually made the roster . |
我进入了球员名册中。 |
And then, 693 days after my injury, |
接着,[09:55] |
mentality:n.心态;[心理]智力;精神力;头脑作用; numerous:adj.许多的,很多的; setbacks:n.挫折;周折(setback复数); mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上; eventually:adv.最后,终于; roster:n.花名册;执勤人员表;逐项登记表;
|
I got the call to put on my helmet and take my first snap in a game. |
我被通知要戴上头盔, 上场做我的第一次发球。 |
Now, I wish I could tell you that the crowd went wild, but there was basically nobody there because of COVID. |
我希望我能告诉各位群众随之疯狂, 但因为新冠肺炎,几乎没人在场。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And still, running onto that field, |
不过,跑上球场,仍然 |
I had so many mixed emotions . |
让我心中五味杂陈。 |
What a rush. |
好仓促。 |
But to be honest, |
但,老实说, |
I was absolutely terrified. |
我完全吓坏了。 |
Practice was one thing, but a real game? |
练习是一回事,但真正上场?[10:33] |
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
|
Was my leg going to hold up? |
我的脚真的撑得住吗? |
I found out on the third snap when this huge defender launched himself onto my back, |
第三次发球时超大只的防守球员 从我背后扑上来,我得到了答案, |
I tried to take a few steps, but I went down. |
我试着向前几步,但我仍然摔倒了。 |
It's still the most liberating feeling in my life, getting back up, knowing that I'm OK. |
那仍然是我人生中 最让我宽心的感觉, 重新站起来,知道我没事。 |
I'm proud that I made it back out onto the field, but I'm more proud of what got me there. |
我很自豪又回到了球场上, 但更让我自豪的是我怎么到那里的。 |
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词)
|
Not the physical journey , but the mental one. |
不是身体的旅程,而是心理的。 |
I've learned that so much of the anxiety that holds us back in life, it's self-inflicted . |
我学到,人生中那么多 让我们无法前进的焦虑, 都是自己造成的。 |
We make it worse on ourselves. |
我们自己让情况变糟。 |
And it's OK if we need somebody to help us snap out of it. |
如果我们需要别人协助 我们振作,也没关系的。 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; self-inflicted:adj.自己造成的;加于自身的;
|
For me, that was my wife, a military guy, a maniac linebacker or an eccentric coach. |
对我来说,幫我的人是我太太、 一个军人、 一个疯狂的后卫、 或一个古怪的教练。 |
They taught me that I had to see my fears for what they are. |
他们教我,我必须要看清 我的恐惧的真相。 |
And that's why, looking back, |
因此,现在回头看, |
I know that my recovery didn't actually start when Johnny shoved me in the chest. |
我知道我的复元过程并非始于 强尼朝我的胸口推一把。 |
maniac:n.疯子,躁狂者;adj.发狂的;狂热的;癫狂的; eccentric:adj.古怪的,反常的;n.古怪的人;
|
First, I had to pull back that white sheet. |
首先,我得拉开那块白布。 |
For weeks and weeks, I'd been hearing my wife tell me how great it looked. |
数周来,我一直听 我太太说看起来有多棒。 |
She helped me get to that point. |
她协助我走到那一步。 |
I was ready. |
我准备好了。 |
And when I finally did it, it looked way worse than I had expected. |
当我终于掀开白布, 状况看起来比我预期的还糟很多。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
What I saw was not cool. |
我看到的画面一点也不酷。 |
It was grotesque . |
而是很怪异。 |
Mangled and deformed . |
严重受损且变形了。[12:09] |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; grotesque:n.奇异风格;怪异的东西;adj.奇形怪状的;奇怪的;可笑的; Mangled:v.压碎;撕烂;严重损坏;糟蹋;(mangle的过去分词和过去式) deformed:adj.畸形的; v.使...残缺,使...变形(deform的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
All kinds of purple and blue and red. |
各种紫色、蓝色,和红色。 |
Fair warning, these pictures are a little graphic . |
先警告,这些照片 可能会造成不舒服。 |
But my leg went from this, the black is the dead tissue , to this. |
但我的脚从这个样子, 黑色部分是坏死的组织, 变成这样。 |
And this. |
然后这样。 |
And this. |
然后这样。[12:31] |
purple:n.紫色;紫袍;v.变紫;使成紫色;adj.紫色的;华丽的文辞; graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的; tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;
|
Before it could get rebuilt. |
这是在它重建之前。 |
But I saw my leg for what it was. |
但我看到我的脚真实的样子。 |
And it was mine. |
那是我的脚。 |
These days, |
这些日子, |
I've come a long way with this guy. |
我和这个家伙走了好长的路。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
This thing that once represented everything I feared, everything I had lost, it's probably the thing I'm most proud of in my life outside of my wife and kids. |
这东西曾经代表我所惧怕的一切, 我失去的一切, 除了我的太太和孩子,它现在 可能是我人生中最自豪的东西。 |
come a long way:突飞猛进; represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
|
So, yeah, I guess she was right, it is pretty cool. |
我想,她是对的,这只脚的确很酷。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
These scars, they're not just a reminder of everything I've been through, but more so, everything that's in front of me. |
这些伤疤, 不只提醒我我所经历过的一切, 更提醒我我眼前的一切。 |
They stare me in my face. |
它们正面盯着我。 |
Challenging me to be myself. |
挑战我做自己。 |
To help others out of their own spirals when I can. |
在能力范围内协助他人 脱离他们的漩涡。 |
Now, you might not have a leg that looks like this. |
你可能没有像这样的脚。 |
And my hope for you is this. |
我希望你能这样做:[13:46] |
stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视; spirals:螺旋;盘旋;
|
Look at them. |
看着它们。 |
Own them. |
承认它们。 |
They're the best reminder you'll ever have that there's a whole world out there. |
它们是最棒的提醒, 让你记得外面的世界很大。 |
And we've got a whole lot of living left to do. |
我们还有很多「活着」 等着我们去做。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |