返回首页

AlexHonnold_2018-_我如何不用绳索攀爬上三千英呎的垂直峭壁_

Hello. I'd like to show you guys 30 seconds of the best day of my life. 哈啰。我想先让大家 看一段三十秒的影片,
(Applause) (掌声)
So that was El Capitan in California's Yosemite National Park , and in case you couldn't tell, 那是加州优胜美地 国家公园的「酋长岩」, 万一你们看不出来,
Yosemite:n.约塞米蒂国家公园(位于美国加利福尼亚州中部); National Park:n.国家公园;
I was climbing by myself without a rope, a style of a climbing known as free soloing . 我是独自攀爬,且没有用绳索, 这种攀爬方式称为「自由独攀」。
soloing:v.独奏; n.[乐]独奏(曲); adj.独唱[奏]的; v.单独; (solo的现在分词);
That was the culmination of a nearly decade-long dream, and in the video I'm over 2,500 feet off the ground . 那是我近十年梦想的巅峰结晶。 影片中的我离地面 超过两千五百英呎。
culmination:n.顶点;高潮; off the ground:已开始的;在进行中;
Seems scary? Yeah, it is, which is why I spent so many years dreaming about soloing El Cap and not actually doing it. 似乎很可怕?的确, 这就是为什么我梦想要独攀酋长岩 这么多年,却一直没有行动。
But on the day that that video was taken, it didn't feel scary at all. 但在拍摄那支影片的那一天, 感觉一点也不可怕。
It felt as comfortable and natural as a walk in the park, which is what most folks were doing in Yosemite that day. 感觉就像在公园散步一样舒服自然, 那天在优胜美地大部分人 也的确只是在公园散步。
Today I'd like to talk about how I was able to feel so comfortable and how I overcame my fear. 今天,我想要谈谈我 怎么能够感到这么舒服, 及我如何克服恐惧。
overcame:v.克服(overcome的过去式);
I'll start with a very brief version of how I became a climber, and then tell the story of my two most significant free solos . 我会先简短说明我如何变成攀岩者, 接下来说的故事则是我 近期两次最重要的自由独攀。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; solos:n.独奏; v.独唱;
They were both successful, which is why I'm here. 两次都很成功, 这就是为什么我能在这里。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But the first felt largely unsatisfying , whereas the second, El Cap, was by far the most fulfilling day of my life. 但第一次感觉非常不满足, 而第二次,爬酋长岩, 是我人生目前为止最满足的一天。
largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; unsatisfying:adj.无法令人满足的;v.不满意;不安心(unsatisfy的ing形式); whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之; fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词)
Through these two climbs, you'll see my process for managing fear. 透过这两次攀爬, 你们可以了解我管理恐惧的过程。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
So I started climbing in a gym when I was around 10 years old, which means that my life has been centered on climbing for more than 20 years. 我约十岁时,就开始 在健身房中攀岩, 意即二十多年来 我的生活一直以攀岩为中心。 近十年的时间, 我多半是在室内攀爬,
After nearly a decade of climbing mostly indoors , 近十年的时间, 我多半是在室内攀爬,
indoors:adv.在室内,在户内;
I made the transition to the outdoors and gradually started free soloing. 之后,我转向户外, 渐渐开始了自由独攀。
transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
I built up my comfort over time and slowly took on bigger and more challenging walls. 随时间,我建立起舒适感, 慢慢地开始尝试更大、 更有挑战性的山壁。
And there have been many free soloists before me, so I had plenty of inspiration to draw from. 在我之前已有许多自由独攀者, 有很多人可以当鼓舞我的榜样。
soloists:n.独奏者;独唱者;
But by 2008, I'd repeated most of their previous solos in Yosemite and was starting to imagine breaking into new terrain . 到 2008 年,我已爬过大部分 他们过去独攀过的优胜美地路线, 我开始想像攀爬新的地形。
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前; terrain:n.[地理]地形,地势;领域;地带;
The obvious first choice was Half Dome , an iconic 2,000-foot wall the lords over the east end of the valley. 很明显的第一选择就是半圆丘, 它是个代表性的两千英呎山壁, 称霸在山谷的东侧。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; Dome:n.圆屋顶;vi.成圆顶状;vt.加圆屋顶于…上; iconic:adj.图标的,形象的; lords:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福;(lord的第三人称单数和复数)
The problem, though also the allure , was that it was too big. 它的问题,也是它的魅力所在, 就是它太大了。
allure:v.引诱,诱惑;吸引;n.诱惑力;
I didn't really know how to prepare for a potential free solo. 我不知道要如何为一趟 潜在的自由独攀行程做准备。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
So I decided to skip the preparations and just go up there and have an adventure . 所以我决定跳过准备阶段, 直接上去冒险。
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
I figured I would rise to the occasion , which, unsurprisingly , was not the best strategy . 我觉得我可以迎接挑战, 结果,并不意外, 那并非最好的策略。
rise to the occasion:应付自如; unsurprisingly:adv.不出所料的;不出奇的;意料中的; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
I did at least climb the route roped up with a friend two days before just to make sure that I knew roughly where to go and that I could physically do it. 我至少有在两天前和一位朋友 绑着绳索,爬过那段路线, 只要确保我大致上知道方向, 且确保我在身体上能办得到。
route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送; roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
But when I came back by myself two days later, 但两天后我独自再次返回时,
I decided that I didn't want to go that way. 我决定不走那条路。
I knew that there was a 300-foot variation that circled around one of the hardest parts of the climb. 我知道有一条 三百英呎的替代路线, 它会绕过攀爬路线中 最困难的部分。
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种;
I suddenly decided to skip the hard part and take the variation, even though I'd never climbed it before, but I immediately began to doubt myself. 我突然决定要跳过困难的部分, 选择走替代路线, 即使我以前没有爬过那条路, 但我马上就开始自我怀疑了。
Imagine being by yourself in the dead center of a 2,000-foot face, wondering if you're lost. 想像你独自一人 在两千英呎表面的正中心, 纳闷你是否迷路了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Thankfully , it was pretty much the right way and I circled back to the route. 谢天谢地,我大致上没走错路, 我绕回了原来的路线。
Thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地;
I was slightly rattled , I was pretty rattled , but I tried not to let it bother me too much because I knew that all the hardest climbing was up at the top. 我有点惊恐,我蛮惊恐的, 但我试着不要让 惊恐的感觉烦扰我, 因为我知道攀爬 最困难的部分是在顶端。
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; rattled:adj.狼狈的;v.(使)格格作响;使紧张;使恐惧;(rattle的过去分词和过去式) bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
I needed to stay composed . 我需要保持沉着。
composed:adj.由…组成的; v.组成; (compose的过去分词和过去式)
It was a beautiful September morning, and as I climbed higher, 那是个美好的九月早晨, 我越爬越高,
I could hear the sounds of tourists chatting and laughing on the summit . 我能听到顶峰上传来 游客聊天说笑的声音。
summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点;
They'd all hiked up the normal trail on the back, which I was planning on using for my descent . 他们都是从背后的 正常小道步行上去的, 我打算在下山时也要走那条小道。
hiked:vi.远足;徒步旅行;上升;vt.提高;拉起;使…高涨;n.远足;徒步旅行;涨价; trail:v.(被)拖,拉;疲惫地走,磨蹭;落后,失败;n.痕迹;踪迹;小路;路线; descent:n.下降;血统;袭击;vt.除去…的气味;使…失去香味;
But between me and the summit lay a blank slab of granite . 但在我和顶峰之间有着 平平的花岗岩斜岩板。
slab:n.厚板,平板;混凝土路面;厚片;v.把…分成厚片;用石板铺; granite:n.花岗岩;坚毅;冷酷无情;
There were no cracks or edges to hold on to , just small ripples of texture up a slightly less than vertical wall. 上面没有裂缝或是边缘可以抓, 只有小小的涟漪纹理, 在这近乎垂直的山壁上。
cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数) hold on to:坚持;紧握;克制; ripples:n.涟漪;波纹(ripple的复数);v.呈波状(ripple的单三形式); texture:n.质地;纹理;结构;本质,实质; vertical:n.垂直线;垂直位置;adj.竖的;垂直的;直立的;纵向的;
I had to trust my life to the friction between my climbing shoes and the smooth granite. 我把性命托付于攀登鞋 和平滑花岗岩之间的磨擦力。 我很小心地保持平衡向上爬,
friction:n.摩擦,[力]摩擦力;
I carefully balanced my way upward , shifting my weight back and forth between the small smears . 我很小心地保持平衡向上爬, 在每次小小的贴踩之间, 前后移动我的重心。
upward:adj.向上的;上升的;adv.向上; shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词) back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的; smears:n.涂布剂;油迹;污点;涂片标本(smear的复数形式);v.涂抹(smear的单三形式);
But then I reached a foothold that I didn't quite trust. 但接着,我遇到了一个 我不太信任的踩脚处。
foothold:n.据点;立足处;
Two days ago, I'd have just stepped right up on it, but that would have been with a rope on. 两天前,我可能 就会直接踩上去了, 但那是因为我有绑绳索。
Now it felt too small and too slippery . 现在,那个踩脚处 感觉太小又太滑。
slippery:adj.滑的;狡猾的;不稳定的;
I doubted that my foot would stay on if I weighted it. 我怀疑当我把体重压上去 脚还能不能踩得住。
I considered a foot further to the side, which seemed worse. 我考虑再向旁边一英呎的地方, 但那里似乎更糟。
I switched my feet and tried a foot further out. 我交换了脚,试图再向外一英呎。 那里似乎还更糟。
It seemed even worse. 我开始慌了。
I started to panic . 我开始慌了。
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措;
I could hear people laughing on the summit just above me. 我能听到人们的笑声 从我上面的顶峰传来。
I wanted to be anywhere but on that slab. 在任何地方,都比 在这片斜岩板上好。
My mind was racing in every direction. 我的脑袋转个不停。
I knew what I had to do, but I was too afraid to do it. 我知道我该怎么做, 但我太害怕了不敢去做。
I just had to stand up on my right foot. 我只需要靠右脚站好。
And so after what felt like an eternity , I accepted what I had to do and I stood up on the right foot, and it didn't slip, and so I didn't die, and that move marked the end of the hardest climbing. 在经过一段彷佛是永恒的挣扎 之后,我接受了我该做的事, 我靠右脚站好了, 结果没有打滑,所以我没有死, 这段攀岩最困难的部分 就到此告一段落。
eternity:n.来世,来生;不朽;永世;
And so I charged from there towards the summit. 从那里,我朝向顶峰挺进。
And so normally when you summit Half Dome, you have a rope and a bunch of climbing gear on you, and tourists gasp and they flock around you for photos. 通常,当你登上半圆丘时, 你身上会有一根绳索 和一堆攀岩装备, 游客会惊讶地发出声音, 围着你拍照。
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; gear:n.齿轮; v.适合; gasp:v.喘气,喘息;气喘吁吁地说;渴望;n.深吸气;倒抽气; flock:v.聚集;群集;蜂拥;n.(羊或鸟)群;(尤指同类人的)一大群;
This time I popped over the edge shirtless , panting , jacked . 这次,我砰一声翻过边缘, 没穿上衣,喘吁吁,肌肉贲张。
shirtless:adj.赤膊的;无上装的; panting:v.脉动;晃动(pant的ing形式);adj.喘气的;n.气促;脉动; jacked:v.抬高(价格等);用千斤顶顶起(jack的过去分词);
I was amped, but nobody batted an eye. 我很兴奋,但大家都面不改色。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I looked like a lost hiker that was too close to the edge. 我看起来像是个迷路的健行者, 站得太靠近边缘。
hiker:n.徒步旅行者;
I was surrounded by people talking on cell phones and having picnics. 我身边围绕着人群,不是在讲手机就是在野餐。
I felt like I was in a mall. 我好像在购物中心里。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I took off my tight climbing shoes and started hiking back down, and that's when people stopped me. 我脱下了我很紧的攀岩鞋, 开始向下步行, 此时有人叫住了我。
'"You're hiking barefoot ? That's so hard-core ." 「你赤脚步行?真是硬汉。」
barefoot:adj.赤脚的;adv.赤着脚地; hard-core:adj.中坚的;顽固不化的;赤裸裸描写性行为的;n.核心成员;铁杆分子;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't bother to explain, but that night in my climbing journal , I duly noted my free solo of Half Dome, but I included a frowny face and a comment, "Do better?" 我也懒得解释, 但那晚,我在我的攀岩日志中 但我还画上了一个哭脸, 加注「做更好?」
journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报; duly:adv.适当地;充分地;按时地;
I'd succeeded in the solo and it was celebrated as a big first in climbing. 我的独攀成功了, 它被当成 重大的第一次攀爬来庆祝。
Some friends later made a film about it. 有些朋友后来为此 制作了一支影片。
But I was unsatisfied . 但我不满足。
unsatisfied:adj.不满意的;未得到满足的;
I was disappointed in my performance , because I knew that I had gotten away with something. 我对我的表现很失望, 因为我知道我有侥幸之处。
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
I didn't want to be a lucky climber. I wanted to be a great climber. 我不想要当个幸运的攀岩者, 我想要当个伟大的攀岩者。
I actually took the next year or so off from free soloing, because I knew that I shouldn't make a habit of relying on luck. 我休了一年多的假, 没有去自由独攀, 因为我知道我不应该 养成依赖运气的习惯。
relying:v.依赖;信任;指望(rely的现在分词);
But even though I wasn't soloing very much, 但即使我不常去独攀,
I'd already started to think about El Cap. 我已经开始想着酋长岩了。
It was always in the back of my mind as the obvious crown jewel of solos. 我内心深处一直把它 视为是独攀的至宝。
crown:王冠
It's the most striking wall in the world. 它是世界上最惹人注目的山壁。
Each year, for the next seven years, 接下来的七年,每一年
I'd think, "This is the year that I'm going to solo El Cap." 我都会想:「今年 我要去独攀酋长岩。」
And then I would drive into Yosemite, look up at the wall, and think, "No frickin' way." 接着,我会开车去优胜美地, 抬头看着山壁, 心想:「门都没有。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's too big and too scary. 它太大了,太骇人了。
But eventually I came to accept that I wanted to test myself against El Cap. 但最终,我渐渐接受我想要 测试我自己对抗酋长岩的能耐。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
It represented true mastery , but I needed it to feel different. 它代表着真正的征服, 但我需要有不同的感觉。
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词) mastery:n.掌握;精通;优势;征服;统治权;
I didn't want to get away with anything or barely squeak by. 我并不想要有任何侥幸 或是勉强过关。
get away with:侥幸成功,侥幸逃脱; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地; squeak:n.尖叫声;短促而尖厉的叫声;v.吱吱叫;短促而尖厉地叫;尖声说话;侥幸成功;
This time I wanted to do it right. 这次我想要把它做对。
The thing that makes El Cap so intimidating is the sheer scale of the wall. 酋长岩之所以令人生畏, 完全是因为山壁的规模。
intimidating:adj.吓人的;令人胆怯的;v.恐吓;威胁;(intimidate的现在分词) sheer:adj.纯; v.十足地; n.透明薄纱; v.[航海](使)偏航; (使)转向; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
Most climbers take three to five days to ascend the 3,000 feet of vertical granite. 大部分的攀岩者要花三到五天 来攀登三千英呎的垂直花岗岩。
climbers:n.登山者(climber的复数);[植]攀缘植物;脚扣; ascend:vi.上升;登高;追溯;vt.攀登,上升;
The idea of setting out up a wall of that size with nothing but shoes and a chalk bag seemed impossible. 向上攀爬这么巨大的山壁, 且只有鞋子和一个攀岩粉袋, 似乎是不可能的。
3,000 feet of climbing represents thousands of distinct hand and foot movements, which is a lot to remember. 攀爬三千英呎, 就表示有 数千个手和脚的移动动作, 多到很难记住。
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的;
Many of the moves I knew through sheer repetition . 我会记住许多移动动作 只是因为不断重覆。
repetition:n.重复;重做;重说;重做的事;重说的话;
I'd climbed El Cap maybe 50 times over the previous decade with a rope. 过去十年,我用绳索爬过 酋长岩大约五十次,
But this photo shows my preferred method of rehearsing the moves. 但这张照片呈现的 是我偏好的排练动作方式。
preferred:v.较喜欢;喜欢…多于…;(prefer的过去式和过去分词) rehearsing:v.排练;排演;背诵;照搬;重复;(rehearse的现在分词)
I'm on the summit, about to repel down the face with over a thousand feet of rope to spend the day practicing. 我在顶峰,准备用一千英呎的 绳索向下爬,挑战这个表面, 花一天的时间自己练习。
repel:v.击退;抵制;使厌恶;使不愉快;
Once I found sequences that felt secure and repeatable , 一旦找到感觉很安全且可重覆的 顺序,
sequences:n.[数][计]序列,顺序;继起的事(sequence的复数形式); repeatable:adj.可重复的;可复验的;
I had to memorize them. 我就得记住它们。
memorize:v.记住;记忆;
I had to make sure that they were so deeply ingrained within me that there was no possibility of error. 我得要确保它们都 深深刻在我的脑海中, 不能有任何失误的可能。
ingrained:adj.根深蒂固的; v.使根深蒂固(ingrain的过去分词形式);
I didn't want to be wondering if I was going the right way or using the best holds. 我不想要纳闷我是否 爬对方向、用到最好的洞。
I needed everything to feel automatic . 我得让一切都感觉像自动的一样。
automatic:adj.自动的;无意识的;必然的;n.自动步枪;自动换挡汽车;
Climbing with a rope is a largely physical effort. 用绳索攀爬,主要就是靠体力。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
You just have to be strong enough to hold on and make the movements upward. 你只要够强壮可以抓稳 并向上移动即可。
But free soloing plays out more in the mind. 但自由独攀有更大 一部分是在脑中。
The physical effort is largely the same. 体力的需求大致上差不多。
Your body is still climbing the same wall. 你的身体还是在攀爬同一个山壁。
But staying calm and performing at your best when you know that any mistake could mean death requires a certain kind of mindset . 但在你知道犯错就可能 意味着死亡的情况下, 还要保持冷静和做出最佳表现, 这就需要某种心态了。
performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词) mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
(Laughter) (笑声)
That's not supposed to be funny, but if it is, it is. 这不应该是好笑的, 不过如果好笑也罢。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I worked to cultivate that mindset through visualization , which basically just means imagining the entire experience of soloing the wall. 我努力透过视觉化 来培养那种心态, 基本上,视觉化就表示想像 独攀那山壁的整个经历。
cultivate:vt.培养;陶冶;耕作; visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心; basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Partially , that was to help me remember all the holds, but mostly visualization was about feeling the texture of each hold in my hand and imagining the sensation of my leg reaching out and placing my foot just so. 这么做有一部分是在 幫我记住所有的洞, 但主要是在感觉我手抓到的 每一个洞是什么样的结构, 并想像我的腿向外伸出 再把脚放下来的感受。 并想像我的腿向外伸出 再把脚放下来的感受。
Partially:adv.部分地;偏袒地; sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
I'd imagine it all like a choreographed dance thousands of feet up. 我会把它想像成编好的舞步, 只是在几千英呎高。
choreographed:vt.精心设计(choreograph的过去式);adj.精心设计的;刻意安排的;
The most difficult part of the whole route was called the Boulder Problem. 整条路线中最困难的部分, 被称为「抱石问题」。
Boulder:n.卵石,大圆石;巨砾;
It was about 2,000 feet off the ground and consisted of the hardest physical moves on the whole route: long pulls between poor handholds with very small, slippery feet. 它离地约两千英呎, 包含有整条路线上 最困难的身体动作: 踩踏处又小又滑,手抓处不理想, 做长距离的拉式动作。
consisted:vi.组成;在于;符合; on the whole:基本上,大体上;就全体而论; handholds:n.握住;线索;把柄;
This is what I mean by a poor handhold: an edge smaller than the width of a pencil but facing downward that I had to press up into with my thumb . 我说手抓处不理想的意思是: 边缘比铅笔的宽度 还要小,且洞口向下, 我得要把我的大拇指向上推进去。
width:n.宽度;广度;某一宽度的材料;(游泳池两长边之间的)池宽; downward:adj.下降的;向下的;adv.同"downwards"; thumb:v.翻阅;以拇指拨弄;作搭车手势;笨拙地摆弄;n.拇指;
But that wasn't even the hardest part. 但那还不是最难的部分。
The crux culminated in a karate kick with my left foot over to the inside of an adjacent corner, a maneuver that required a high degree of precision and flexibility , 难关的高潮在于用我的左脚 做空手道踢脚, 踢向邻接角落的内侧, 这一招需很高的精准度和柔软度,
crux:n.关键;难题;十字架形,坩埚; culminated:vi.到绝顶;达到高潮;达到顶点;vt.使结束;使达到高潮; karate:n.空手道(日本的一种徒手武术); adjacent:adj.邻近的,毗连的; maneuver:n.演习;调动;巧计;花招;v.演习; precision:n.精度,[数]精密度;精确;adj.精密的,精确的; flexibility:n.灵活性;弹性;适应性;
enough so that I'd been doing a nightly stretching routine for a full year ahead of time to make sure that I could comfortably make the reach with my leg. 我提早整整一年, 晚上都为此在做例行的伸展, 确保我的脚能很舒适地构着目标。 确保我的脚能很舒适地构着目标。
nightly:adj.夜间的;每夜的;adv.每夜; stretching:v.拉长;撑大;有弹性;拉紧;拉直;(stretch的现在分词)
As I practiced the moves, my visualization turned to the emotional component of a potential solo. 当我练习动作的时候, 我的视觉化会转换为 潜在独攀的情绪成分。
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的;
Basically, what if I got up there and it was too scary? 基本上,如果我爬上去之后, 发现太可怕怎么办?
what if:如果…怎么办?
What if I was too tired? 我太累了怎么办?
What if I couldn't quite make the kick? 我做不太到 那个踢的动作怎么办?
I had to consider every possibility while I was safely on the ground, so that when the time came and I was actually making the moves without a rope, there was no room for doubt to creep in. 我还安全地待在地上时, 就得要考量所有的可能性, 等时候到了,我才能真正 不靠绳索就做出那些动作, 没有任何怀疑的空间。
creep:v.爬行;蔓延;慢慢地移动;起鸡皮疙瘩;n.爬行;毛骨悚然的感觉;谄媚者;
Doubt is the precursor to fear, and I knew that I couldn't experience my perfect moment if I was afraid. 怀疑就是恐惧的前兆, 我知道如果害怕 就不能体验到完美的时刻。
precursor:n.先驱,前导;
I had to visualize and rehearse enough to remove all doubt. 我得要做视觉化, 做足够演练,消除所有怀疑。
visualize:vt.形象,形象化;想像,设想;vi.显现; rehearse:v.排练;预演;演习;
But beyond that, I also visualized how it would feel if it never seemed doable . 但在那之外,我也会视觉化想像 看似做不到时的感觉。
visualized:adj.直观的;直视的;v.使形象化;想像(visualize的过去式和过去分词); doable:adj.可做的;
What if, after so much work, I was afraid to try? 万一,做了这么多努力之后, 我却害怕不敢试呢?
What if I was wasting my time and I would never feel comfortable in such an exposed position? 万一我是在浪费我的时间, 我永远不可能在这么 无掩蔽的状况下感到舒适呢?
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
There were no easy answers, but El Cap meant enough to me that I would put in the work and find out. 没有简单的答案。 但酋长岩对我意义重大, 让我愿意努力去找答案。
Some of my preparations were more mundane . 有一些准备工作十分平凡。
mundane:adj.世俗的,平凡的;世界的,宇宙的;
This is a photo of my friend Conrad Anker climbing up the bottom of El Cap with an empty backpack. 这张照片中的人 是我朋友康瑞安克, 背着空的背包从 酋长岩的底部向上爬。
We spent the day climbing together to a specific crack in the middle of the wall that was choked with loose rocks that made that section difficult and potentially dangerous, 我们那天一起攀爬到 山壁中间一个特定的裂缝处, 它被鬆动的岩石给塞住, 让那个区段很难爬 且有潜在的危险性,
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; choked:adj.堵塞的; v.使窒息; (choke的过去分词和过去式) loose:adj.宽松的; v.释放; v.松散地; n.放纵; potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地;
because any missed step might knock a rock to the ground and kill a passing climber or hiker. 因为如果没踩好, 就可能让一块岩石向下落, 砸死路过的攀岩者或登山客。
So we carefully removed the rocks, loaded them into the pack and rappelled back down. 所以我们小心地把岩石 移除,放到背包中, 再用绳索下降下来。
rappelled:n.绕绳下降;坐式下降法;vi.用绳索下降;
Take a second to imagine how ridiculous it feels to climb 1,500 feet up a wall just to fill a backpack full of rocks. 想像一下这感觉有多可笑, 爬上一千五百英呎的山壁, 只为了把背包装满岩石。
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's never that easy to carry a pack full of rocks around. 平常背着一袋岩石就很不轻鬆了。
It's even harder on the side of a cliff . 在峭壁边上更是困难。
on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助; cliff:n.悬崖;绝壁;
It may have felt silly, but it still had to get done. 感觉可能很蠢, 但这是必需要做的。
I needed everything to feel perfect if I was ever going to climb the route without a rope. 若我真的要不用绳索去攀爬 那条路线, 我得让一切完美。
After two seasons of working specifically toward a potential free solo of El Cap, 我花了两季的时间 专门准备潜在的酋长岩独攀,
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
I finally finished all my preparations. 终于,我把所有的准备做好了。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
I knew every handhold and foothold on the whole route, and I knew exactly what to do. 我知道整条路线上的 每个手抓处和脚踩处, 我非常清楚该做什么。
Basically, I was ready. 基本上,我准备好了。
It was time to solo El Cap. 该是独攀酋长岩的时候了。
On June 3, 2017, 2017 年 6 月 3 日,
I woke up early, ate my usual breakfast of muesli and fruit and made it to the base of the wall before sunrise . 我很早起,吃了平常的 牛奶什锦早餐和水果, 在日出之前到达了山壁的底部。
muesli:n.牛奶什锦早餐; sunrise:n.日出;朝霞;
I felt confident as I looked up the wall. 我抬头看着山壁时感到自信。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
I felt even better as I started climbing. 开始攀爬后我更有自信。
About 500 feet up, I reached a slab very similar to the one that had given me so much trouble on Half Dome, but this time was different. 大约向上爬了五百英呎, 我到达了一块斜岩板, 和半圆丘上给我添很多 麻烦的那一块很类似, 但这次可不一样。
I'd scouted every option , including hundreds of feet of wall to either side. 我已经侦察过每个选项, 包括两边数百英呎的山壁。
scouted:n.搜索,侦察;侦察员;侦察机;vt.侦察;跟踪,监视;发现;vi.侦察;巡视;嘲笑; option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
I knew exactly what to do and how to do it. 我很清楚该做什么以及怎么做。
I had no doubts. I just climbed right through. 我毫无怀疑,直接攀爬过去。
Even the difficult and strenuous sections passed by with ease. 即使是困难且费劲的区段, 我也轻鬆通过。
strenuous:adj.紧张的;费力的;奋发的;艰苦的;热烈的;
I was perfectly executing my routine. 我完美地执行例行公事。
executing:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的现在分词)
I rested for a moment below the Boulder Problem and then climbed it just as I had practiced so many times with the rope on. 我在抱石问题下面休息了一下, 接着,就用我绑着绳索 练习过无数次的方式攀爬过它。
My foot shot across to the wall on the left without hesitation , and I knew that I had done it. 我毫无犹豫地把脚 跨过左边的山壁, 我知道我办到了。
hesitation:n.犹豫;
Climbing Half Dome had been a big goal and I did it, but I didn't get what I really wanted. 爬半圆丘是个很大的目标, 我做到了,但我没有 得到我真正想要的。
I didn't achieve mastery. 我没精通。
I was hesitant and afraid, and it wasn't the experience that I wanted. 我犹豫又害怕, 那不是我想要的经验。
hesitant:adj.迟疑的;踌躇的;犹豫不定的;
But El Cap was different. 但酋长岩就不同了。
With 600 feet to go, I felt like the mountain was offering me a victory lap. 还剩六百英呎要爬,我觉得这座山 在让我拿着金牌绕场跑一圈。
I climbed with a smooth precision and enjoyed the sounds of the birds swooping around the cliff. 我非常精准地攀爬着, 享受着在峭壁附近 俯冲的鸟儿的声音。
swooping:v.向下猛冲,俯冲;突然袭击;突然行动;(swoop的现在分词)
It all felt like a celebration. 感觉就像是庆祝一样。
And then I reached the summit after three hours and 56 minutes of glorious climbing. 我花了 3 小时 56 分到达顶峰, 完成一段榮耀的攀登。
glorious:adj.光荣的;辉煌的;极好的;
It was the climb that I wanted, and it felt like mastery. 这就是我想要的攀登, 感觉就像是精通了。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)