|
|
AlbertoCairo_2011X-_人无残人_
|
I've been in Afghanistan for 21 years. |
我在阿富汗21年了 |
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
|
I work for the Red Cross and I'm a physical therapist . |
为红十字会工作 我是一个理疗医师 |
physical therapist:n.物理治疗师;理疗师;
|
My job is to make arms and legs -- well it's not completely true. |
我的工作就是制作义肢 -- 当然 不完全是这样 |
We do more than that. |
我们做的比这多得多 |
We provide the patients , the Afghan disabled, first with the physical rehabilitation then with the social reintegration . |
我们帮助病患 那些阿富汗的残疾人 先恢复肢体功能 然后重返社会 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) rehabilitation:n.康复;恢复;善后;平反;复权; reintegration:n.重新整合;
|
It's a very logical plan, but it was not always like this. |
这非常符合逻辑 但事情并非一直如此 |
logical:adj.合逻辑的,合理的;逻辑学的;
|
For many years, we were just providing them with artificial limbs . |
常年以来 我们给他们的 只是义肢而已 |
artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的; limbs:n.[解剖]四肢(limb的复数);
|
It took quite many years for the program to become what it is now. |
我们花了许多年 才让这个项目取得现在的成果 |
Today, I would like to tell you a story, the story of a big change, and the story of the people who made this change possible. |
今天我想讲一个故事 关于一个巨大变化的故事 以及实现这变化的人 他们的故事 |
I arrived in Afghanistan in 1990 to work in a hospital for war victims. |
1990年 我到了阿富汗 为一家收治战争伤员的 医院工作 |
And then, not only for war victims, but it was for any kind of patient. |
后来 医院不仅收治战争伤员 还收治其他各种病患 |
I was also working in the orthopedic center, we call it. |
我同时也在 矫形中心工作 |
orthopedic:adj.整形外科的(等于orthopaedic);
|
This is the place where we make the legs. |
这里就是我们制作义肢的地方 |
At that time |
当时 |
I found myself in a strange situation. |
我发现 自己处于一种尴尬的境地 |
I felt not quite ready for that job. |
我不确定 自己是否适合这份工作 |
There was so much to learn. |
要学的东西太多了 |
There were so many things new to me. |
我对太多事情不了解了 |
But it was a terrific job. |
但这是一份很棒的工作 |
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的;
|
But as soon as the fighting intensified , the physical rehabilitation was suspended . |
但是随着战事越来越激烈 肢体复健项目被搁置了 |
as soon as:一…就; intensified:加强的; suspended:v.悬;挂;吊;暂停;中止;(suspend的过去式和过去分词)
|
There were many other things to do. |
我们要忙许多其他的事情 |
So the orthopedic center was closed because physical rehabilitation was not considered a priority . |
于是矫形中心被关闭了 因为人们认为它不是 重中之重 |
priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事;
|
It was a strange sensation . |
这是种奇怪的感觉 |
sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
|
Anyway, you know every time I make this speech -- it's not the first time -- but it's an emotion . |
每次我做这个演讲 这不是第一次了 但这是一种情感 |
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
|
It's something that comes out from the past. |
从过去就开始了 |
It's 21 years, but they are still all there. |
21年了 这种感觉还在 |
Anyway, in 1992, the Mujahideen took all Afghanistan. |
1992年 圣战者组织占领了整个阿富汗 |
Mujahideen:n.圣战者,(尤指中东的)穆斯林游击队员;
|
And the orthopedic center was closed. |
矫形中心被关闭了 |
I was assigned to work for the homeless, for the internally displaced people. |
我被分配去帮助无家可归的人 和因战争流离失所的人 |
assigned:v.分配(某物);分派;指定;委派;(assign的过去分词和过去式) internally:adv.内部地;国内地;内在地; displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词)
|
But one day, something happened. |
但有一天 一件事情发生了 |
I was coming back from a big food distribution in a mosque where tens and tens of people were squatting in terrible conditions. |
我从一个 大批发放食物的清真寺回来 那里收容的十几个人 身体状况都很糟糕 |
distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销; mosque:n.清真寺; squatting:v.蹲坐;蹲;偷住,擅自占用(房子或地方);(squat的现在分词)
|
I wanted to go home. I was driving. |
我当时正开着车 - 我想回家。 |
You know, when you want to forget, you don't want to see things, so you just want to go to your room, to lock yourself inside and say, "That's enough." |
你知道吗,当你想要忘记 或不想面对一些事情的时候 你只会想回家 把自己关在房间里 说:“我受够了。” |
A bomb fell not far from my car -- well, far enough, but big noise. |
一颗炸弹在距我的车不远的地方爆炸了 虽然没炸到我 但还是传来了一声巨响 |
And everybody disappeared from the street. |
街上的人瞬间消失了 |
disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
|
The cars disappeared as well. |
车辆也消失了 |
I ducked. |
我绻下身 |
And only one figure remained in the middle of the road. |
唯一一个 留在路中间的 |
It was a man in a wheelchair desperately trying to move away. |
是一个坐着轮椅的男子 他正慌忙地想要移开原地 |
wheelchair:n.轮椅; desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
|
Well I'm not a particularly brave person, |
我不是一个非常勇敢的人 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
|
I have to confess it, but I could not just ignore him. |
我承认 但是 我不能就这么丢下他不管 |
confess:v.承认;坦白;忏悔;供认; ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
|
So I stopped the car and I went to help. |
于是 我停了车 上前去帮他 |
The man was without legs and only with one arm. |
这个人没有腿 只有一只手臂 |
Behind him there was a child, his son, red in the face in an effort to push the father. |
他身后有一个孩子 他的儿子 脸蛋通红 正使劲推着父亲 |
So I took him into a safe place. |
我把他带到一个安全的地方 |
And I ask, "What are you doing out in the street in this situation?" |
然后我问:“你们这时候在大街上 干什么?” |
'"I work," he said. |
“我在工作。” 他说 |
I wondered, what work? |
我觉得奇怪 做什么工作? |
And then I ask an even more stupid question: "Why don't you have the prostheses ? |
接着我问了一个更加愚蠢的问题: “你怎么没有义肢呢? |
prostheses:假体(如假肢,假眼或假牙等)(prosthesis的名词复数);
|
Why don't you have the artificial legs?" |
怎么没有假腿呢?” |
And he said, "The Red Cross has closed." |
他说:“红十字会关门了。” |
Well without thinking, I told him "Come tomorrow. |
我想都没想就对他说: “明天你过来, |
We will provide you with a pair of legs." |
我们会给你一双义肢。” |
The man, his name was Mahmoud, and the child, whose name was Rafi, left. |
这名叫麦哈麦得的男子 和他的孩子 拉菲 便走了 |
And then I said, "Oh, my God. What did I say? |
结果 我对自己说:“天啊,我说的是什么胡话? |
The center is closed, no staff around. |
中心关闭了, 里面根本没有人。 |
Maybe the machinery is broken. |
说不定连机器都是坏的。 |
machinery:n.机械;机器;机构;机械装置;
|
Who is going to make the legs for him?" |
谁来给他做义肢啊?” |
So I hoped that he would not come. |
我希望他不会过来 |
This is the streets of Kabul in those days. |
这就是那段战火纷飞日子里 喀布尔的街道 |
So I said, "Well I will give him some money." |
于是我说:“那我就给他点钱。” |
And so the following day, |
第二天 |
I went to the orthopedic center. |
我到了矫形中心 |
And I spoke with a gatekeeper . |
我嘱咐了门卫几句 |
gatekeeper:n.看门人;
|
I was ready to tell him, "Listen, if someone such-and-such comes tomorrow, please tell him that it was a mistake. |
我准备告诉他: “听着, 如果明天有一个这个模样的人过来, 你就告诉他,他弄错了。 |
Nothing can be done. |
我们没有办法帮助他。 |
Give him some money." |
然后给他一些钱。” |
But Mahmoud and his son were already there. |
但是 麦哈麦得和他的儿子已经等在那里了 |
And they were not alone. |
还不止他们 |
There were 15, maybe 20, people like him waiting. |
有十五到二十个人残疾人也等在那里 |
And there was some staff too. |
一些工作人员也在场 |
Among them there was my right-hand man , |
其中还有我的助手 |
right-hand man:n.得力助手;左右手;
|
Najmuddin. |
纳吉木丁 |
And the gatekeeper told me, "They come everyday to see if the center will open." |
门卫告诉我 “他们每天都来看中心是否开门。” |
I said, "No. |
我说:“不行。 |
We have to go away. We cannot stay here." |
我们必须离开。不能留在这里。” |
They were bombing -- not very close -- but you could hear the noise of the bombs. |
轰炸还在进行中 虽然不是很近 但是你仍然可以听到爆炸声 |
So, "We cannot stay here, it's dangerous. |
“我们不能留在这里,太危险了。 |
It's not a priority." |
保命要紧。” |
But Najmuddin told me, "Listen now, we're here." |
但纳吉木丁对我说:“听着,我们现在在这里。 |
At least we can start repairing the prostheses, the broken prostheses of the people and maybe try to do something for people like Mahmoud." |
至少,我们可以开始修理这些人坏了的义肢, 然后也许可以为麦哈麦得这样的人 做点什么。” |
I said, "No, please. We cannot do that. |
我说:“不行,我们不能这么做。 |
It's really dangerous. |
太危险了。 |
We have other things to do." |
我们还有更重要的事情要忙。” |
But they insisted. |
但他们坚持这么做 |
When you have 20 people in front of you, looking at you and you are the one who has to decide ... |
二十个人 就这么站在你面前 看着你 等着你做出决定 |
So we started doing some repairs. |
于是我们开始做一些修理 |
Also one of the physical therapists reported that Mahmoud could be provided with a leg, but not immediately. |
其中一个理疗医师 说他们可以 为麦哈麦得提供一只假腿 但要花一些时间 |
therapists:n.治疗专家(therapist的复数); provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式)
|
The legs were swollen and the knees were stiff , so he needed a long preparation. |
他的腿有水肿 且膝盖僵硬 他需要一段长时间的准备 |
swollen:adj.肿胀的,浮肿的;浮夸的;激动兴奋的; stiff:adj.呆板的; v.僵硬地; n.死尸; v.诈骗;
|
Believe me, I was worried because I was breaking the rules. |
相信我 我很担心 因为我违反规定了 |
I was doing something that I was not supposed to do. |
我做的事情 不是我分内的事 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
In the evening, |
晚上 |
I went to speak with the bosses at the headquarters , and I told them -- I lied -- |
我去和总部的几位上司谈话 我对他们撒了谎 |
headquarters:n.总部;指挥部;司令部;
|
I told them, "Listen, we are going to start a couple of hours per day, just a few repairs." |
我告诉他们:“我们准备开始 每天用几个小时 做一些修理工作。” |
Maybe some of them are here now. |
可能他们有几位今天就在这里 |
(Laughter) |
(众人笑) |
So we started. |
于是 我们开工了 |
I was working, I was going everyday to work for the homeless. |
我每天都在工作 帮助无家可归的人 |
And Najmuddin was staying there, doing everything and reporting on the patients. |
纳吉木丁在那里 忙里忙外 汇报病人的情况 |
He was telling me, "Patients are coming." |
他告诉我:“病人们来了。” |
We knew that many more patients could not come, prevented by the fighting. |
我们知道有更多的病人 因为战争而来不了 |
But people were coming. |
但是人们还是源源不断地来 |
And Mahmoud was coming every day. |
麦哈麦得每天都来 |
And slowly, slowly week after week his legs were improving . |
慢慢地 一周接着一周 他逐渐可以用义肢行走了 |
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
|
The stump or cast prosthesis was made, and he was starting the real physical rehabilitation. |
义肢做好了 他开始了 真正的物理康复治疗 |
stump:n.树桩;残余部分;假肢;v.砍伐;使为难;发表竞选演说;笨重地行走; prosthesis:n.假体;添字首音;弥补;义体;
|
He was coming every day, crossing the front line . |
他每天都来 穿越前线而来 |
front line:adj.前线的;第一线的;
|
A couple of times I crossed the front line in the very place where Mahmoud and his son were crossing. |
我曾经穿越前线一两次 也就是麦哈麦得父子经过的地方 |
I tell you, it was something so sinister that I was astonished he could do it every day. |
告诉你们 看到他能够每天穿过 危机四伏的前线 我感到异常惊讶 |
sinister:adj.阴险的;凶兆的;灾难性的;左边的; astonished:adj.吃惊的;
|
But finally , the great day arrived. |
终于 美好的一天到来了 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Mahmoud was going to be discharged with his new legs. |
麦哈麦得能够 用他的新腿行走了 |
discharged:v.准许(某人)离开;解雇;释放;排出;(discharge的过去分词和过去式)
|
It was April, I remember, a very beautiful day. |
我记得当时是四月 一个美丽的日子 |
April in Kabul is beautiful, full of roses, full of flowers. |
喀布尔的四月异常美丽 玫瑰 鲜花盛开 |
We could not possibly stay indoors , with all these sandbags at the windows. |
我们不想留在室内 那些沙袋堆在窗边 |
indoors:adv.在室内,在户内; sandbags:vt.用沙袋打;在…堆沙袋;n.沙袋;
|
Very sad, dark. |
太悲凉 太昏暗了 |
So we chose a small spot in the garden. |
我们这花园里找了一小块地方 |
And Mahmoud put on his prostheses, the other patients did the same, and they started practicing for the last time before being discharged. |
麦哈麦得安上他的义肢 其他病人也如此 他们开始 做康复前的最后一次练习 |
Suddenly, they started fighting. |
突然间 外面突然打起了杖 |
Two groups of Mujahideen started fighting. |
两股圣战组织开始交火 |
We could hear in the air the bullets passing. |
我们能够听到 子弹飞过的声音 |
bullets:n.子弹;弹丸;(bullet的复数)
|
So we dashed, all of us, towards the shelter. |
我们所有人 迅速向室内冲去 |
Mahmoud grabbed his son, I grabbed someone else. |
麦哈麦得拉着他的儿子 我拉着另一个人 |
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
|
Everybody was grabbing something. |
每个人都拉着另一个 |
grabbing:v.抓住;夺得;利用,抓住(机会)(grab的现在分词)
|
And we ran. |
我们撒腿就跑 |
You know, 50 meters can be a long distance if you are totally exposed , but we managed to reach the shelter. |
你知道吗 当你完全暴露在外面的时候 五十米的距离可以显得那么长 但我们都找到了藏身地 |
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
|
Inside, all of us panting , |
在里面 我们害怕得发抖, |
panting:v.脉动;晃动(pant的ing形式);adj.喘气的;n.气促;脉动;
|
I sat a moment and I heard Rafi telling his father, "Father, you can run faster than me." |
我坐了一会儿 听见拉菲对父亲说: “爸爸,你跑得比我快。” |
(Laughter) |
(众人笑) |
And Mahmoud, "Of course I can. |
麦哈麦得说:“当然啦。 |
I can run, and now you can go to school. |
我现在能跑了,所以现在你可以去上学了。 |
No need of staying with me all the day pushing my wheelchair." |
不用再为我 整天推轮椅了。” |
Later on, we took them home. |
后来 我们把送他们回家 |
And I will never forget |
我永远不会忘记 |
Mahmoud and his son walking together pushing the empty wheelchair. |
麦哈麦得和儿子走在一起 推着那辆空轮椅的情景。 |
And then I understood, physical rehabilitation is a priority. |
然后我就明白了 原来 肢体复健是重中之重 |
Dignity cannot wait for better times. |
尊严不能多等一天 |
Dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
|
From that day on, we never closed a single day. |
从那天开始 我们再没关门 |
Well sometimes we were suspended for a few hours, but we never, we never closed it again. |
有时候我们会稍微停工几个小时 但我们再也没有关过门 |
I met Mahmoud one year later. |
一年之后 我又见到了麦哈麦得 |
He was in good shape -- a bit thinner. |
他情况不错 瘦了一点 |
He needed to change his prostheses -- a new pair of prostheses. |
他需要更换 一副新的义肢 |
I asked about his son. |
我问起他儿子情况 |
He told me, "He's at school. He'd doing quite well." |
他说:“他在上学。挺好的。” |
But I understood he wanted to tell me something. |
但我知道他有话跟我说 |
So I asked him, "What is that?" |
所以我问他:“什么事?” |
He was sweating. |
他在冒汗 |
He was clearly embarrassed . |
很明显 他感到不好意思 |
embarrassed:adj.尴尬的;窘迫的;v.使...局促不安;(embarrass的过去分词和过去式)
|
And he was standing in front of me, his head down. |
他站在我面前 低着头 |
He said, "You have taught me to walk. |
他说:“你教我如何走路, |
Thank you very much. |
我很感激你。 |
Now help me not to be a beggar anymore." |
现在请帮我 让我不用再乞讨。” |
beggar:n.乞丐;叫花子;(与形容词连用)家伙;v.使贫穷;使匮乏;
|
That was the job. |
那就是他的工作 |
'"My children are growing. |
“我的孩子们在成长。 |
I feel ashamed . |
我抬不起头。 |
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿;
|
I don't want them to be teased at school by the other students." |
我不希望他们在学校 被其他人欺负。” |
teased:v.取笑;戏弄;寻开心;招惹;挑逗;(tease的过去分词和过去式)
|
I said, "Okay." |
我说:“好的。” |
I thought, how much money do I have in my pocket? |
我想 我口袋里有多少钱? |
Just to give him some money. |
给他点钱就行了 |
It was the easiest way. |
这是最简单的办法 |
He read my mind, and he said, "I ask for a job." |
他知道我的心思 然后他说:“我要的是一份工作。” |
And then he added something |
接着又说了一些 |
I will never forget for the rest of my life. |
我毕生都无法忘怀的话 |
He said, "I am a scrap of a man, but if you help me, |
他说:“我是个身体残缺的人, 但如果你肯帮我, |
scrap:n.碎片;残余物;打架;少量;v.废弃;使解体;拆毁;adj.废弃的;零碎的;
|
I'm ready to do anything, even if I have to crawl on the ground." |
我什么活都能干, 就算是在地上爬,都可以。” |
crawl:v.爬;匍匐行进;(昆虫)爬行;缓慢行进;n.爬泳;缓慢的速度;自由泳;
|
And then he sat down. |
接着 他坐下了 |
I sat down too with goosebumps everywhere. |
我也一身鸡皮疙瘩地坐了下来 |
goosebumps:n.鸡皮疙瘩;
|
Legless , with only one arm, illiterate , unskilled -- what job for him? |
一个没有腿 只有一只手臂 不会识字 没有技能的人 给他什么工作呢? |
Legless:adj.无腿的;醉醺醺的; illiterate:adj.文盲的;不识字的;没受教育的;n.文盲; unskilled:adj.无特长的;无(需)特别技能的;无(需)专门训练的;
|
Najmuddin told me, "Well we have a vacancy in the carpentry shop." |
纳吉木丁告诉我:“我们的木匠房 缺人手。” |
vacancy:n.空缺;空位;空白;空虚; carpentry:n.木器;木工手艺;[木]木工业;
|
'"What?" I said, "Stop." |
“什么?” 我说:“停。” |
'"Well yes, we need to increase the production of feet. |
“是的,我们需要增产假腿。 |
We need to employ someone to glue and to screw the sole of the feet. |
需要招人来 把义肢的脚底粘合并组装起来 |
employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用; glue:n.胶;胶水;v.粘贴; screw:v.旋,拧;压榨;强迫;n.螺旋;螺丝钉;吝啬鬼; sole:n.鞋底; adj.仅有的; v.给(鞋)换底;
|
We need to increase the production." |
我们需要增产。” |
'"Excuse me?" |
“什么?” |
I could not believe. |
我不敢相信 |
And then he said, "No, we can modify the workbench maybe to put a special stool , a special anvil , special vice , and maybe an electric screwdriver ." |
然后他说: “我们可以把工作椅调整一下, 或许可以放一张特殊的凳子, 使用特殊的铁砧和老虎钳 还有电动的螺丝刀。” |
modify:vt.修改,修饰;更改;vi.修改; workbench:n.工作台;手工台; stool:n.凳子;大便;粪便;v.长出新枝;排便 anvil:n.铁砧;[解剖]砧骨; vice:n.恶习;缺点;[机]老虎钳;卖淫;prep.代替;v.钳住;adj.副的;代替的; electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; screwdriver:n.螺丝刀;
|
I said, "Listen, it's insane . |
我说:“听着,这是乱弹琴。 |
insane:adj.疯狂的;精神病的;极愚蠢的;
|
And it's even cruel to think of anything like this. |
这想法太残忍了。 |
That's a production line and a very fast one. |
那条生产线非常快。 |
production line:n.流水作业线;产品线;
|
It's cruel to offer him a job knowing that he's going to fail." |
让他做这份工作 太残忍了 明知道他干不来。” |
But with Najmuddin, we cannot discuss. |
但是我扭不过纳吉木丁 |
So the only things I could manage to obtain was a kind of a compromise . |
我只能说服他 做出一点让步 |
obtain:vi.获得;流行;vt.获得; compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险;
|
Only one week -- one week try and not a single day more. |
只给一个星期 只能试一个星期 一天都不多给 |
One week later, |
一个星期之后 |
Mahmoud was the fastest in the production line. |
麦哈麦得成了生产线上最快的工人 |
I told Najmuddin, "That's a trick. |
我对纳吉木丁说:“这是骗人的。 |
I can't believe it." |
我不相信。” |
The production was up 20 percent. |
产量增长了20% |
'"It's a trick, it's a trick," I said. |
“这是个骗局,骗局。” 我说 |
And then I asked for verification . |
我要他们证明给我看 |
verification:n.确认,查证;核实;
|
It was true. |
这是千真万确的 |
The comment of Najmuddin was Mahmoud has something to prove. |
纳吉木丁的意思是 麦哈麦得有需要证明的东西 |
I understood that I was wrong again. |
我醒悟过来 我又错了 |
Mahmoud had looked taller. |
麦哈麦得显得高大了 |
I remember him sitting behind the workbench smiling. |
我记得他当时坐在工作椅上 面带微笑 |
He was a new man, taller again. |
他已经焕然一新 重新站了起来 |
Of course, I understood that what made him stand tall -- yeah they were the legs, thank you very much -- but as a first step, it was the dignity. |
当然 我明白 让他站得笔直的 对 是要非常感谢他的双腿 但首先 还是他的尊严 |
stand tall:形象高大;昂首站着;
|
He has regained his full dignity thanks to that job. |
因为那份工作 他重拾了尊严 |
regained:v.重新获得,恢复;回到(原位);返回;(regain的过去分词和过去式)
|
So of course, I understood. |
所以 我明白了 |
And then we started a new policy -- a new policy completely different. |
接着 我们开始了一项新政策 一项全新的政策 |
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
|
We decided to employ as many disabled as possible to train them in any possible job. |
我们决定 招聘尽可能多的残疾人 训练他们从事任何工作 |
It became a policy of " positive discrimination ," |
这成了一项“良性的歧视”政策 |
positive discrimination:n.积极区别对待政策(对因种族、性别等原因遭歧视的群体在就业等方面给予特别照顾);
|
we call it now. |
我们这样称呼它 |
And you know what? |
你知道吗 |
It's good for everybody. |
这对所有人都有利 |
Everybody benefits from that -- those employed , of course, because they get a job and dignity. |
所有人都得到了好处 那些被聘用的人 就不用说了 他们得到了工作 和尊严 |
employed:v.雇用:应用:运用:使用(employ的过去分词和过去式)
|
But also for the newcomers . |
还有 那些新来的人 |
newcomers:n.新来的人(newcomer的复数);
|
They are 7,000 every year -- people coming for the first time. |
每年有7000个 新来的人 |
And you should see the faces of these people when they realize that those assisting them are like them. |
你们真应该看看他们的表情 当他们看到辅助自己的人竟然也和自己一样时 脸上有多惊奇 |
Sometimes you see them, they look, "Oh." |
有时候 他们像这样:“哇。” |
And you see the faces. |
然后他们露出惊奇的神色 |
And then the surprise turns into hope. |
接着 这惊奇变成了希望 |
And it's easy for me as well to train someone who has already passed through the experience of disability . |
这也方便了我 对战胜了残疾的人进行培训 |
disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件;
|
Poof , they learn much faster -- the motivation , the empathy they can establish with the patient is completely different, completely. |
嗖 他们学得可快了 那动力 那份用耐心建立起来的悟性 完全不可思议 |
Poof:n.吹熄蜡烛的声音;int.哇(表示突然消失的)感叹词; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; establish:v.创立;设立;建立;确立;使立足;查实;
|
Scraps of men do not exist. |
人无残人 |
Scraps:n.残羹剩饭;刮屑(scrap的复数);
|
People like Mahmoud are agents of change. |
像麦哈麦得这样的人 是变化的载体 |
agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数)
|
And when you start changing, you cannot stop. |
变化一旦开始 就一发不可收拾 |
So employing people, yes, but also we started programming projects of microfinance , education. |
所以,是的,给他们工作是一方面 但我们也开始提供 小额贷款项目和教育 |
microfinance:n.小额信贷;微型金融;
|
And when you start, you cannot stop. |
一旦开始 就一发不可收拾了 |
So you do vocational training, home education for those who cannot go to school. |
接着你开始职业培训 为不能上学的人提供上门教育 |
vocational:adj.职业的,行业的;
|
Physical therapies can be done, not only in the orthopedic center, but also in the houses of the people. |
理疗复健不仅能够在矫形中心进行 还能在人们家里进行 |
therapies:n.治疗方法(therapy复数形式);
|
There is always a better way to do things. |
总能找到更好的做事方法 |
That's Najmuddin, the one with the white coat. |
纳吉木丁 也就是穿白色外套的那个 |
Terrible Najmuddin, is that one. |
天杀的纳吉木丁 就是那位 |
I have learned a lot from people like Najmuddin, Mahmoud, Rafi. |
我从纳吉木丁 麦哈麦得和拉菲这些人身上学到了很多东西 |
They are my teachers. |
他们是我的老师 |
I have a wish, a big wish, that this way of working, this way of thinking, is going to be implemented in other countries. |
我有一个愿望 一个宏伟的愿望 就是这种工作 思维的方式 能够有朝一日推广到其他国家 |
implemented:v.使生效;贯彻;执行;实施;(implement的过去式和过去分词)
|
There are plenty of countries at war like Afghanistan. |
世界上有很多国家像阿富汗一样正在打仗 |
It is possible and it is not difficult. |
这是可能的 而且并不难做到 |
All we have to do is to listen to the people that we are supposed assist, to make them part of the decision-making process and then, of course, to adapt . |
我们要做的 就是倾听 那些我们应该帮助的人们 将他们融入 决策的过程中 然后 让他们学会适应 |
decision-making:n.决策; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应;
|
This is my big wish. |
这就是我宏伟的愿望 |
Well don't think that the changes in Afghanistan are over; not at all . We are going on. |
别以为阿富汗的变化已经结束 远远没有 我们仍在继续 |
not at all:毫无;一点也不;不用谢;
|
Recently we have just started a program, a sport program -- basketball for wheelchair users. |
我们最近才开始了一个项目 一个运动项目 轮椅篮球运动 |
Recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
We transport the wheelchairs everywhere. |
我们把轮椅运送到各地 |
transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放; wheelchairs:[医]轮椅;
|
We have several teams in the main part of Afghanistan. |
在阿富汗主要地区建立了几支球队 |
in the main:基本上;
|
At the beginning , when Anajulina told me, "We would like to start it," |
一开始 当阿纳朱里纳告诉我 “我们想要开始这个项目。” |
At the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
|
I hesitated . |
我犹豫了 |
hesitated:v.(对某事)犹豫,迟疑不决;顾虑;疑虑;(hesitate的过去分词和过去式)
|
I said, "No," you can imagine. |
我说:“不行。” 你们可以想象得到 |
I said, "No, no, no, no, we can't." |
我说:“不不不,这么做不行。” |
And then I asked the usual question: "Is it a priority? |
接着 我又问了那个问题: “这是重中之重吗? |
Is it really necessary?" |
这真有必要吗?” |
Well now you should see me. |
现在你可以看到 |
I never miss a single training session . |
我从来没有错过任何一次训练 |
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
|
The night before a match I'm very nervous. |
比赛前一天 我非常紧张 |
And you should see me during the match. |
你们应该看我比赛时的样子 |
I shout like a true Italian. |
我像一个真正的意大利人那样狂吼 |
(Laughter) |
(众人笑) |
What's next? What is going to be the next change? |
接下来呢 下一个变化是什么 |
Well I don't know yet, but I'm sure Najmuddin and his friends, they have it already in mind. |
我还不知道 但是我知道 纳吉木丁和他的同伙们 已经盘算好了 |
That was my story. Thank you very much. |
我的故事讲完了 非常感谢大家 |
(Applause) |
(众人鼓掌) |