返回首页

AlanSiegel_2010-_让我们一起来简化法律术语_

So, basically we have public leaders, public officials who are out of control; they are writing bills that are unintelligible , and out of these bills are going to come 所以,总的来说我们有些领导人、 政府官员办事出格。 他们写的是无法解读的议案。 从这些议案将会产生出
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; unintelligible:adj.莫名其妙的;无法了解的;
maybe 40,000 pages of regulations , total complexity , which has a dramatically negative impact on our life. 约40,000页的条文,非常复杂, 其对我们的生活将产生极为不利的影响。
regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数) complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
If you're a veteran coming back from Iraq or Vietnam you face a blizzard of paperwork to get your benefits; if you're trying to get a small business loan, you face a blizzard of paperwork. 如果你是从伊拉克或是越南战场回来的老兵, 想得到你的救济金,你得做一大堆棘手的文书工作, 如果你想获得一小笔商业贷款, 你也会面临一大堆棘手的文书工作。
veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的; blizzard:n.暴风雪,大风雪;大打击;vi.下暴风雪; paperwork:n.文书工作;
What are we going to do about it? I define simplicity as a means to achieving clarity , transparency and empathy , building humanity into communications. 对此,我们应该如何去做?我将简单化定义为 一种能达到清晰、 透明和共鸣, 使交流人性化的一种方法。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定; simplicity:n.朴素;简易;天真;愚蠢; clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明; transparency:n.透明,透明度;幻灯片;有图案的玻璃; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
I've been simplifying things for 30 years. 30年来我一直致力于事物的简化。
simplifying:v.简约,简化(simplify进行时形式);
I come out of the advertising and design business. 我是做广告和设计的。
advertising:n.做广告;广告业;广告活动;v.做广告;(advertise的现在分词)
My focus is understanding you people, and how you interact with the government to get your benefits, how you interact with corporations to decide whom you're going to do business with, and how you view brands . 我的关注点是了解大众, 了解你们如何与政府打交道, 去得到你们应得的利益, 了解你们如何与公司打交道而决定你们要与谁去做生意, 以及了解你们如何看待品牌。
interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息; corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式); brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数);
So, very quickly, when President Obama said, "I don't see why we can't have a one-page, plain English consumer credit agreement." 所以,当奥巴马总统说 “我不明白为什么我们不能有 一份一页的简单英语消费信贷协议”时
consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者;
So, I locked myself in a room, figured out the content , organized the document, and wrote it in plain English. 我把自己关在一个房间里 很快想出了这样一个内容, 制定了这样一个文件,并且是用简单英语写的。
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
I've had this checked by the two top consumer credit lawyers in the country. 我让国内两个顶级 消费信贷律师对其进行了审核。
This is a real thing. 这是件真事。
Now, I went one step further and said, "Why do we have to stick with the stodgy lawyers and just have a paper document? Let's go online." 现在我又进了一步, “为什么我们只能有一份纸质文件 并且非要依附于那些墨守成规的律师呢?让我们上网去解决“。
stodgy:adj.平凡的;塞满的;庸俗的;
And many people might need help in computation . 许多人 可能在计算上需要帮助。
computation:n.估计,计算;
Working with the Harvard Business School , you'll see this example when you talk about minimum payment : 与哈佛商学院合作时, 我们有一个关于最低还款额的案例。
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生; Business School:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院; minimum:n.最低限度;最小值;最少量;极小量;adj.最低的;最小的;最低限度的; payment:n.付款;支付;收款;款项;报答;
If you spent 62 dollars for a meal, the longer you take to pay out that loan, you see, over a period of time using the minimum payment it's 99 dollars and 17 cents. 你一顿饭花了62美元, 如果你采用最低还款额延期还款的作法, 过了一段时间, 则需还款99美元17美分。
How about that? Do you think your bank is going to show that to people? 你觉得怎么样?你认为银行会向人们告知吗?
But it's going to work. It's more effective than just computational aids. 但它就是这样运作的。它比仅仅计算 货款时间更有效。
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; computational:adj.计算的;
And what about terms like "over the limit"? 你如何理解有些词汇 例如超过限度?
Perhaps a stealth thing. 也许这是一件隐匿的事情。
stealth:n.秘密;秘密行动;鬼祟;
Define it in context . Tell people what it means. 通过上下文来定义它,告诉人们它是什么意思。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
When you put it in plain English, you almost force the institution to give the people a way, a default out of that, and not put themselves at risk. 在你使用简单英语表述时, 你实际上就迫使这家机构 使人们了解如何去规避风险, 而不是把自己置于风险之中。
institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗; default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
Plain English is about changing the content. 简单英语也就是 改变内容。
And one of the things I'm most proud of is this agreement for IBM. 我很骄傲的一件事 是我为IBM制作的这份协议。
It's a grid , it's a calendar . 它以简单的网格形式,是一个日历。
grid:n.网格;格子,栅格;输电网; calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
At such and such a date, IBM has responsibilities, you have responsibilities. 在这个日期,IBM承担责任, 你承担责任。
Received very favorably by business. 这个作法在商务领域被欣然接受了。
favorably:adv.顺利地;亲切地;好意地;
And there is some good news to report today. 今天我有好消息要讲。
Each year, one in 10 taxpayers receives a notice from the IRS. 每年每10个纳税人中有一个 会收到美国国税局通知。
taxpayers:n.纳税人(taxpayer的复数);
There are 200 million letters that go out. 那就是要发出2亿封信。
Running through this typical letter that they had, 我处理了一部分典型信件,
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
I ran it through my simplicity lab, it's pretty unintelligible. 我是在我的简单化实验室进行的, 结果是它们很让人费解。
All the parts of the document in red are not intelligible. 文件中所有标红的部分都让人费解。
We looked at doing over 1,000 letters that cover 70 percent of their transactions in plain English. 我们又看了1000多封以简单英语写的信, 它们涵盖了70%的业务。
transactions:n.处理,[图情]会报;汇报(transaction复数);
They have been tested in the laboratory . 这些信件在我的实验室进行了测试。
laboratory:n.实验室,研究室;
When I run it through my lab, this heat-mapping shows everything is intelligible. 当我在我的实验室测试时, 热点图显示每一件事 都是简单易懂的。
And the IRS has introduced the program. 国税局已经引进了这个程序。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
There are a couple of things going on right now that I want to bring to your attention. 我想让你们注意 现在正在做的一些事情。
There is a lot of discussion now about a consumer financial protection agency , how to mandate simplicity. 现在有许多讨论 是关于消费金融保护署的, 如何使其工作程序简单化。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处; mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管;
We see all this complexity. 我们都看到它的复杂性。
It's incumbent upon us, and this organization , I believe, to make clarity, transparency and empathy a national priority . 我相信我们 和他们都有义不容辞的责任, 使国家重点项目清晰、透明 和与大众有共鸣感。
incumbent:adj.现任的;依靠的;负有职责的;n.在职者;现任者;领圣俸者; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事;
There is no way that we should allow government to communicate the way they communicate. 我们无法再允许政府 按照他们的表达方式进行表达,
There is no way we should do business with companies that have agreements with stealth provisions and that are unintelligible. 我们无法再与协议中 带有隐匿、晦涩难懂条款的公司 做生意。
provisions:n.规定(provision的复数); v.供应补给品;
So, how are we going to change the world? 那么,我们如何去改变世界?
Make clarity, transparency and simplicity a national priority. 那就是使国家重点项目清晰、透明并且简单化。
I thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (鼓掌)