返回首页

AlanRussell_2006-_人体的再生_

I'm going to talk to you today about hopefully converting fear into hope. 我今天将要跟大家讲的 但愿能化恐惧为希望
converting:v.(使)转变,转换,转化;可转变为;归附;(convert的现在分词)
When we go to the physician today, when we go to the doctor's office and we walk in, there are words that we just don't want to hear. 现今,当我们去看医生的时候 当我们走进诊疗室 有些名词是我们所不愿意听到的
physician:n.[医]医师;内科医师;
There are words that we're truly afraid of. 有些词我们是打心底害怕的
Diabetes , cancer , Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, heart failure , lung failure. 糖尿病,癌症,帕金森症,阿兹海默(老年痴呆) 心衰,肺衰
Diabetes:n.糖尿病;多尿症; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; heart failure:n.心力衰竭;
Things that we know are debilitating diseases , for which there's relatively little that can be done. 这些疾病我们已经知道是能压垮一个人 但我们对它们却基本束手无策。
debilitating:adj.使衰弱的;v.使虚弱(debilitate的ing形式); diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
And what I want to lay out for you today is a different way of thinking about how to treat debilitating disease, why it's important. 我今天将描述的是 一种新的对待这类疾病的思维方式。 这为什么很重要?
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
Why without it, perhaps, our health care system will melt down, if you think it already hasn't. 为什么如果没有它,也许我们的医疗保障系统就会瓦解? 如果你不认为它已经走到了这一步的话。
health care:n.卫生保健; melt:v.融化;(使)软化;
And where we are clinically today, and where we might go tomorrow, and what some of the hurdles are. 我们目前临床上能做到什么,以及我们未来可能做到什么, 还有路途上需要克服的一些障碍都在哪里。
clinically:adv.临床地;门诊部地;不偏不倚;通过临床诊断; hurdles:n.障碍;跨栏;跨栏跑;障碍赛跑(hurdle的复数);
And we're going to do all of that in 18 minutes, I promise. 我保证,在18分钟内,我一定讲完这些。
I want to start with this slide, because this slide sort of tells the story the way Science Magazine thinks of it. 我想从这张图片开始 因为这张图能告诉大家“科学”杂志是怎么看待这个问题的
This was an issue from 2002 that they published with a lot of different articles on the bionic human. 这是2002年的一期 上面刊登了很多不同的关于仿生人的文章。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; bionic:adj.仿生学的;利用仿生学的;
It was basically a regenerative medicine issue. 这期杂志从根本上讲的是关于再生医学的。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; regenerative:adj.再生的,更生的;更新的;
Regenerative medicine is an extraordinarily simple concept that everybody can understand. 再生医生其实是个异常简单的概念 谁都可以理解。
extraordinarily:adv.非常;格外地;非凡地;
It's simply accelerating the pace at which the body heals itself to a clinically relevant timescale . 它简单的说就是加快了身体自我修复的速度 加快到有临床意义的范围内。
accelerating:adj.促进的,[物]加速的;催化的; heals:霍尼韦尔错误分析与记录系统; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的; timescale:时间量程;时标;
So we know how to do this in many of the ways that are up there. 图上我们可以看到我们已经在很多方面知道怎么做到这点。
We know that if we have a damaged hip , you can put an artificial hip in. 我们知道如果髋关节受伤了,我们可以手术安装一个人工髋关节进去。
hip:n.臀部;蔷薇果;忧郁;adj.熟悉内情的;非常时尚的; artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的;
And this is the idea that Science Magazine used on their front cover. 这就是这期“科学”杂志封面上所表达出来的理念。
This is the complete antithesis of regenerative medicine. 这完全和再生医学是相反的。
antithesis:n.对立面;对照;对仗;
This is not regenerative medicine. 这不是再生医学。
Regenerative medicine is what Business Week put up when they did a story about regenerative medicine not too long ago. 再生医学是 商业周刊“封面上所讨论的, 当他们在不久之前写了一篇关于再生医学的报导的时候。
The idea is that instead of figuring out how to ameliorate symptoms with devices and drugs and the like -- and I'll come back to that theme a few times -- 我们的想法是,不要去想办法改善症状 用医疗器械或者药物之类的 -- 我还会再多次重复讨论这个主题的 --
ameliorate:v.改善;改进;改良; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数) devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
instead of doing that, we will regenerate lost function of the body by regenerating the function of organs and damaged tissue . 我们不要那么做,我们换一种方式,来重建身体失去的功能, 通过受伤器官和组织的再生。
regenerate:vt.使再生;革新;vi.再生;革新;adj.再生的;革新的; regenerating:v.再生(regenerate的ing形式);改革;使恢复原状; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数); tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;
So that at the end of the treatment , you are the same as you were at the beginning of the treatment. 如此一来,在治疗结束之后, 你的身体状态和你生病之前是一模一样的。
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; at the beginning of:在…的开始;
Very few good ideas -- if you agree that this is a good idea -- very few good ideas are truly novel . 很少有好的主意 - 如果你同意这是一个好主意的话 - 好的主意很少是完全新颖的。
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说;
And this is just the same. 我们所讨论的这个主意也一样。
If you look back in history, 如果你回顾历史的话,
Charles Lindbergh -- who was better known for flying airplanes -- was actually one of the first people, along with Alexis Carrel, one of the Nobel Laureates from Rockefeller, to begin to think about, could you culture organs? 查尔斯·林白 -- 他在飞机驾驶方面(飞跃大西洋)更为著名 -- 其实是第一个想到这个主意的人之一。 他与Rockefeller来的诺贝尔奖获得者卡莱耳一起 开始考虑这个问题:我们能不能培养器官?
airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数); Laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
And they published this book in 1937, where they actually began to think about, what could you do in bio-reactors to grow whole organs? 然后他们在1937年出版了一本书, 书里他们竟然已经开始想了, 我们如何从生物反应器中培养出完整的器官来?
We've come a long way since then. 与当年相比,我们现在已经是有了长足的进步了。
come a long way:突飞猛进;
I'm going to share with you some of the exciting work that's going on. 我马上要和大家分享一些正在进行中的,令人兴奋的研究工作。
But before doing that, what I'd like to do is share my depression about the health care system and the need for this with you. 但在做这个之前,我想要先做的是 跟你们分享一下我对于医疗保障系统的忧虑, 以及我们为什么有必要忧虑。
depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
Many of the talks yesterday talked about improving the quality of life and reducing poverty . 昨天很多的演讲都讨论到了 关于提高生活质量和减少贫困。
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词) poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
And essentially increasing life expectancy all around the globe. 并从实质上增加全球人类的预期生命长度。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; life expectancy:预期寿命;
One of the challenges is that the richer we are, the longer we live. 其中的一个挑战是,我们越富有就会活得越久。
And the longer we live, the more expensive it is to take care of our diseases as we get older. 我们活得越久,开销就会越大, 需要费更多的钱来处理我们老了之后会得的各种疾病。
This is simply the wealth of a country versus the percent of population over the age of 65. 这个问题很简单,就是一个国家的财富 与它超过65岁的人口的相关性。
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
And you can basically see that the richer a country is, the older the people are within it. 然后你基本上就会看到,一个国家越富有 它国民的人口平均年龄就会越高。
Why is this important? 为什么这个很重要?
And why is this a particularly dramatic challenge right now? 为什么这在今天是一个尤其严峻的考验?
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
If the average age of your population is 30, then the average kind of disease that you have to treat is maybe a broken ankle every now and again, maybe a little bit of asthma . 如果人口的平均年龄是30岁的话, 那么需要治疗的一般疾病 可能只是偶尔的崴脚 也许加上点哮喘。
asthma:n.[内科][中医]哮喘,气喘;
If the average age in your country is 45 to 55, now the average person is looking at diabetes, early-onset diabetes, heart failure, coronary artery disease. 如果国家的人口平均年龄是45到55岁的话, 那么一个普通的公民就可能面对糖尿病, 早发型糖尿病,心脏衰竭,冠心病。
early-onset:早发型;早期的; coronary artery:n.冠状动脉;
Things that are inherently more difficult to treat, and much more expensive to treat. 这些病从根本上是更难治疗的, 治疗起来也贵得多。
inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地;
Just have a look at the demographics in the U.S. here. 光看看这里美国的人口统计资料。
have a look at:看一看,看一眼; demographics:n.人口统计资料;
This is from "The Untied States of America." 这是从美利坚合众国来的。
Untied:v.解开…的结;打开;(untie的过去分词和过去式)
In 1930, there were 41 workers per retiree . 在1930年,每个退休人员由41个劳动人口养。
retiree:n.(美)退休人员;歇业者;
41 people who were basically outside of being really sick, paying for the one retiree who was experiencing debilitating disease. 41个没有什么严重疾病的人, 来为一个因病丧失劳动力的退休人员的医疗护理买单。
In 2010, two workers per retiree in the U.S. 在2010年,每个退休人员只对2个劳动人口。
And this is matched in every industrialized , wealthy country in the world. 世界上每个工业化的富有的国家的情况都如此。
industrialized:adj.工业化的;v.使工业化;将…组成产业(industrialize的过去分词);
How can you actually afford to treat patients , when the reality of getting old looks like this? 我们怎么可能有足够的钱来为病人提供所需的医疗服务, 当人口老龄化的现实是这个样子的?
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
This is age versus cost of health care. 这是年龄与医疗护理的费用之间的关系图。
And you can see that right around age 45, 40 to 45, there's a sudden spike in the cost of health care. 你可以看到,就在大约45岁的时候,40到45岁之间, 医疗费用会突然激增。
spike:n.长钉,道钉;钉鞋;细高跟;vt.阻止;以大钉钉牢;用尖物刺穿;
It's actually quite interesting -- if you do the right studies, you can look at how much you as an individual spend on your own health care, plotted over your lifetime. 这其实挺有意思的 - 如果你做了适当的统计研究, 你可以看你个人在你的医疗方面花费的多少,把它画在平面坐标图的 Y轴上, 然后X轴标出你的生命时间。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; plotted:v.密谋;暗中策划;标出;绘制(图表);(plot的过去分词和过去式)
And about seven years before you're about to die, there's a spike. 然后在你死亡之前大概7年的时候,就会看到一个高峰。
And you can actually -- 然后你事实上就可以。。。
(Laughter) (笑声)
- we won't get into that. - 我们就不详细说这个问题了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
There are very few things, very few things that you can really do that will change the way that you can treat these kinds of diseases and experience what I would call healthy aging. 有一些事情,很少量的一些事情,是我们真的可以做的 这些事情会改变对这类疾病的治疗方式, 并让我们体验所谓的“健康的老去”。
I'd suggest there are four things. 我想提议的有4样东西,
And none of these things include an insurance system or a legal system. 而且这4样东西与保险系统和法律系统无关。
insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的; legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的;
All those things do is change who pays. 这些系统所作的只是改变谁来买单。
They don't actually change what the actual cost of the treatment is. 但他们不能从根本上改变医疗成本的高低。
One thing you can do is not treat. You can ration health care. 其中一个就是不去治疗。你可以定量配给“医疗”资源。
ration:v.配给;定量供应;n.定量;口粮;配给量;
We won't talk about that anymore. It's too depressing . 我们就不多讨论这个了。这个太令人抑郁了。
depressing:adj.令人抑郁的; v.使沮丧; (depress的现在分词)
You can prevent. 你可以预防。
Obviously a lot of monies should be put into prevention . 显然很多经费应该被投入到预防之中。
monies:n.货币;金钱(money的复数形式); prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍;
But perhaps most interesting, to me anyway, and most important, is the idea of diagnosing a disease much earlier on in the progression , and then treating the disease to cure the disease instead of treating a symptom. 但也许更能引起人兴趣的是,至少对我来说,也更重要的是 能够在疾病恶化之前对它进行诊断, 并且根治疾病, 而不只是治疗它的症状。
diagnosing:n.诊断;v.诊断(diagnose的现在分词); progression:n.前进;连续; treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词)
Think of it in terms of diabetes, for instance . 比如,以糖尿病为例。
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
Today, with diabetes, what do we do? 在今天,当一个人有糖尿病的时候,我们能做什么?
We diagnose the disease eventually , once it becomes symptomatic , and then we treat the symptom for 10, 20, 30, 40 years. 我们最终是会确诊这个病的,但只是在它的症状明显的表现出来的时候。 在接下来的10,20,30,40年里,我们治疗就是减轻它的症状。
diagnose:vt.诊断;断定;vi.诊断;判断; eventually:adv.最后,终于; symptomatic:adj.有症状的;症候的;
And we do OK. Insulin's a pretty good therapy . 效果还行。胰岛素替代是一个不错的疗法。
therapy:n.治疗,疗法;
But eventually it stops working, and diabetes leads to a predictable onset of debilitating disease. 但最终它还是会失去治疗效果的。 糖尿病将会引起并发症所导致的疾病是可以预见得到的。
predictable:adj.可预言的;
Why couldn't we just inject the pancreas with something to regenerate the pancreas early on in the disease, perhaps even before it was symptomatic? 我们为什么不能简单地给胰腺里面注射一点儿什么 在糖尿病的早期就促使胰腺再生 或许甚至在症状显现之前?
inject:v.注入;注射; pancreas:n.[解剖]胰腺;
And it might be a little bit expensive at the time that we did it, but if it worked, we would truly be able to do something different. 也许这一针在注射的时候会很昂贵 但如果它有效,我们就真的可以以一种新的方式来解决问题了。
This video, I think, gets across the concept that I'm talking about quite dramatically . 这个视频,我想,能够很好的让大家理解我所说的概念。
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
This is a newt , re-growing its limb . 这是一只水螈,在进行肢体的再生。
newt:n.蝾螈;笨蛋;新手; limb:n.肢,臂;分支;枝干;v.切断…的手足;从…上截下树枝;
If a newt can do this kind of thing, why can't we? 如果水螈能办到这样的事情,为什么我们不行呢?
I'll actually show you some more important features about limb regeneration in a moment . 过一会儿我会给你们看一些更重要的特征 关于肢体再生的。
regeneration:n.[生物][化学][物]再生,重生;重建; in a moment:立刻;
But what we're talking about in regenerative medicine is doing this in every organ system of the body, for tissues and for organs themselves. 但我们在再生医学中所讲的 是让身体的每一个器官系统都能做到这种再生 为自己的组织和自己的器官。
tissues:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;(tissue的复数)
So today's reality is that if we get sick, the message is we will treat your symptoms, and you need to adjust to a new way of life. 今天的现实是,如果我们生病了, 我们得到的讯息是,我们可以治疗你的症状, 但你需要适应一种新的生活方式。
adjust:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯;
I would pose to you that tomorrow -- and when tomorrow is we could debate , but it's within the foreseeable future -- we will talk about regenerative rehabilitation . 我要提议的是,明天 - 我们可以辩论这个“明天”具体是什么时候, 但在可以预见的将来 - 我们会实现再生康复。
pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势; debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑; foreseeable:adj.可预知的;能预测的; rehabilitation:n.康复;恢复;善后;平反;复权;
There's a limb prosthetic up here, similar actually to the one that the soldier that's come back from Iraq ... 这是一个假肢 事实上很类似于士兵们 从伊拉克战场回来之后装上的…
prosthetic:adj.假体的;非朊基的;
there are 370 soldiers that have come back from Iraq that have lost limbs . 从伊拉克回来的士兵里面,有370人都失去了肢体
limbs:n.[解剖]四肢(limb的复数);
Imagine if instead of facing that, they could actually face the regeneration of that limb. 试想一下,如果他们不需要去面对那个(假肢), 而是面对肢体的再生。
It's a wild concept. 这是一个很大胆的想法。
I'll show you where we are at the moment in working towards that concept. 过一会儿我会向你们展示我们为实现这个想法已做的工作。
But it's applicable , again, to every organ system. 但,再强调一遍, 这对于每个器官系统都是可以实现的。
applicable:adj.可适用的;可应用的;合适的;
How can we do that? 我们怎么能做到?
The way to do that is to develop a conversation with the body. 我们做到的方法就是展开和身体的对话。
We need to learn to speak the body's language. 我们需要讲我们身体所讲的语言,
And to switch on processes that we knew how to do when we were a fetus . 并重新发掘当我们曾经是胎儿的时候所拥有的再生能力。
switch on:n.接通; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); fetus:n.胎儿,胎;
A mammalian fetus, if it loses a limb during the first trimester of pregnancy , will re-grow that limb. 一个哺乳类动物的胎儿,如果在孕期的头三个月失去了一个肢体, 他就会重新长出来它来。
mammalian:adj.哺乳类动物的;n.哺乳类; trimester:n.三个月;一学期; pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长;
So our DNA has the capacity to do these kinds of wound-healing mechanisms . 所以,我们的DNA有这种自愈的机制。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学;
It's a natural process, but it is lost as we age. 这是一个自然的行为。 但当随着我们的年龄增长就遗失了。
In a child, before the age of about six months, if they lose their fingertip in an accident, they'll re-grow their fingertip. 一个小孩,在大概6个月大之前, 如果他们在某次意外中失去了自己的手指尖, 他们就可以重新长出那个手指尖。
fingertip:n.指尖;
By the time they're five, they won't be able to do that anymore. 当他们长到5岁大的时候,他们就失去了那样的能力了。
So to engage in that conversation with the body, we need to speak the body's language. 所以,如果要跟身体对话的话, 我们必须要会讲我们身体的语言。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
And there are certain tools in our toolbox that allow us to do this today. 一下是目前正在使用的一些技术
toolbox:n.工具箱;
I'm going to give you an example of three of these tools through which to converse with the body. 我要介绍其中的3种技术 通过这些技术我们可以与身体进行对话
converse:adj.相反的,逆向的;颠倒的;vi.交谈,谈话;认识;n.逆行,逆向;倒;相反的事物;
The first is cellular therapies . 第一个是细胞疗法。
cellular:adj.细胞的;多孔的;由细胞组成的;n.移动电话;单元; therapies:n.治疗方法(therapy复数形式);
Clearly, we heal ourselves in a natural process, using cells to do most of the work. 显然,在我们自然的伤口愈合过程中, 细胞进行了大部分的修复工作。
Therefore, if we can find the right cells and implant them in the body, they may do the healing . 因此,只要找到合适的细胞, 然后把它们植入人体,他们也许就会开始修复工作。
implant:vt.种植;灌输;嵌入;n.[医]植入物;植入管;vi.被移植; healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词)
Secondly, we can use materials. 第二,我们可以使用外来材料。
We heard yesterday about the importance of new materials. 昨天的讲话告诉了我们新材料的重要性。
If we can invent materials, design materials, or extract materials from a natural environment, then we might be able to have those materials induce the body to heal itself. 如果我们能发明合成材料,设计材料, 或着从自然界中提炼出新的材料。 或许就可以利用这些材料诱发发身体的修复功能。
extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹; induce:v.导致;引起;诱使;劝说;
And finally , we may be able to use smart devices that will offload the work of the body and allow it to heal. 最后,我们也许可以利用一些精巧的装置 分担身体的负担,并给他机会他自行愈合。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; offload:vt.卸下;卸货;adj.卸载的;
I'm going to show you an example of each of these, and I'm going to start with materials. 我将会针对每种技术出示一个例子, 先从材料开始。
Steve Badylak -- who's at the University of Pittsburgh -- about a decade ago had a remarkable idea. 匹兹堡大学的学者Steve Badylak 大约在10年前有过一个卓越的点子。
Pittsburgh:n.匹兹堡(美国一座城市); remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
And that idea was that the small intestine of a pig, if you threw away all the cells, and if you did that in a way that allowed it to remain biologically active, 这个点子就是,猪的小肠, 如果你能剥除所有的细胞, 如果你能在保持其生物活性的前提下做到这个,
intestine:adj.内部的;国内的;n.肠; biologically:adv.生物学上,生物学地;
may contain all of the necessary factors and signals that would signal the body to heal itself. 这里面就可能包括所有必需的因子和信号 来启动身体自我修复的功能。
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
And he asked a very important question. 他同时提出一个很重要的问题。
He asked the question, if I take that material, which is a natural material that usually induces healing in the small intestine, and I place it somewhere else on a person's body, would it give a tissue-specific response , or would it make small intestine if I tried to make a new ear? 他问了一个问题, 如果我能拿这个材料,这是一种天然的材料 放在小肠里通常可以诱发小肠的愈合, 如果我把它放在人体的其他地方, 是否在每种组织里面都可以诱发正确的修复反应, 还是我尝试长出一个新耳朵,但它还是会长出小肠来?
induces:v.劝说;诱使;引起;引产;(induce的第三人称单数) response:n.响应;反应;回答;
I wouldn't be telling you this story if it wasn't compelling . 如果这个故事不让人信服的话我就不会讲它了。
compelling:adj.引人入胜的; v.强迫; (compel的现在分词)
The picture I'm about to show you -- 接下来我要展示的图片 -
(Laughter) (笑声)
- is a compelling picture. 是很有说服力的图片。
However, for those of you that are even the slightest bit squeamish -- even though you may not like to admit it in front of your friends -- the lights are down. This is a good time to look at your feet, check your Blackberry , do anything other than look at the screen. 不过,对于那些比较敏感的人们 - 即使你们可能不想在朋友面前承认 - 灯光很暗。这是一个很好的机会来低头看你的脚, 查查手机,做什么都好,就是不要看荧幕。
slightest:adj.极不重要的,最少的; squeamish:adj.易呕吐的;易生气的;神经质的;过于拘谨的;洁癖的; Blackberry:n.[园艺]黑莓;
(Laughter) (笑声)
What I'm about to show you is a diabetic ulcer . 我将要给你展示的是一个糖尿病引起的溃疡。
diabetic:adj.糖尿病的,患糖尿病的;n.糖尿病患者; ulcer:n.[病理]溃疡;腐烂物;道德败坏;
And although -- it's good to laugh before we look at this. 虽然 - 最好在看这个之前大笑一下。
This is the reality of diabetes. 这是糖尿病的现实。
I think a lot of times we hear about diabetics , diabetic ulcers , we just don't connect the ulcer with the eventual treatment, which is amputation , if you can't heal it. 我觉得,很多时候,当我们听到糖尿病,糖尿病溃疡, 我们就是无法把溃疡跟最终的治疗方法联系起来, 这个治疗方法就是截肢,如果你不能让它愈合的话。
diabetics:n.糖尿病,糖尿病患者; ulcers:n.[病理]溃疡,疡(ulcer的复数); amputation:n.截肢(术),切断(术);删除,削减;
So I'm going to put the slide up now. It won't be up for long. 我现在要展示这张图片了。不会很久。
This is a diabetic ulcer. It's tragic . 这就是一个糖尿病溃疡。这是一个悲剧。
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
The treatment for this is amputation. 唯一的治疗方法就是截肢。
This is an older lady. She has cancer of the liver as well as diabetes, and has decided to die with what' s left of her body intact . 这是一位老年女士。她在患有糖尿病的同时还有肝癌, 并且她决定了要在死的时候保持她身体的完整性。
liver:n.肝;(动物供食用的)肝; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; intact:adj.完整的;原封不动的;未受损伤的;
And this lady decided, after a year of attempted treatment of that ulcer, that she would try this new therapy that Steve invented. 所以这位女士在尝试治疗那个溃疡一年之后决定 想尝试Steve发明的这个新治疗方法。
attempted:adj.未遂的;v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的过去分词和过去式)
That's what the wound looked like 11 weeks later. 这是这个伤口在11周的治疗之后的样子。
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
That material contained only natural signals. 这个材料只包含天然的信号因子。
And that material induced the body to switch back on a healing response that it didn't have before. 并且这个材料引导着身体重新启动了它的修复程序。 这个修复反应在之前是没有发生的。
induced:adj.感应的;诱发型;v.引诱;说服(induce的过去分词);
There's going to be a couple more distressing slides for those of you -- 我接下来还要给你看几张可怕的图片 -
distressing:adj.使人痛苦的;令人苦恼的;v.使忧虑;使悲伤;使苦恼(distress的现在分词)
I'll let you know when you can look again. 对于那些敏感的人,我会告诉你们什么时候可以再抬头看屏幕的。
This is a horse. The horse is not in pain. 这是一匹马。这匹马并没有感到痛苦。
If the horse was in pain, I wouldn't show you this slide. 如果这匹马痛苦的话,我就不会给你们看这张图片了。
The horse just has another nostril that's developed because of a riding accident. 这匹马只是长出了一个多余的鼻孔。 这是因为一次骑马的意外事故。
nostril:n.鼻孔;
Just a few weeks after treatment -- in this case, taking that material, turning it into a gel , and packing that area, and then repeating the treatment a few times -- and the horse heals up. 仅仅在几周的治疗之后 - 这次是把这个材料制成了凝胶, 包住整个创面,并重复这样的治疗几次 - 这匹马的伤口愈合了。
gel:vi.胶化;n.[物化]凝胶,胶体;
And if you took an ultrasound of that area, it would look great. 如果你看这个创口的B超检查图的话,它的愈合情况看起来会是很好的。
ultrasound:n.超声;超音波;
Here's a dolphin where the fin's been re-attached. 这是一只海豚,它的鳍被重新接上了。
dolphin:n.海豚;
There are now 400,000 patients around the world who have used that material to heal their wounds . 现在全球已有40万病人 都使用了这个新材料来愈合他们的伤口。
wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数)
Could you regenerate a limb? 我们能不能重新长出一个肢体?
DARPA just gave Steve 15 million dollars to lead an eight-institution project to begin the process of asking that question. DARPA(美国国防部研究计划署)刚拨出了1千5百万的经费给了Steve,让他领导一个将由8个研究单位合作完成的项目 来开始探索才的那个问题。
And I'll show you the 15 million dollar picture. 我会给你们看这个价值1千5百万美元的图片。
This is a 78 year-old man who's lost the end of his fingertip. 这是一个78岁的老年男子。他失去了他的指尖。
Remember that I mentioned before the children who lose their fingertips . 记得我之前说过幼儿失去指尖之后可以重新长出但大人就不行的事情吧。
fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数)
After treatment that's what it looks like. 在接受治疗之后,它看起来就是这个样子的。
This is happening today. 这样的事情现在已经可以实现。
This is clinically relevant today. 这在现在是有临床意义的。
There are materials which do this. There are the heart patches . 现在已经存在能做到这个的材料。有种心脏修复的贴片。
patches:n.斑点;小块;补丁;眼罩;v.打补丁;缝补;修补;(patch的第三人称单数和复数)
But could you go a little further? 但我们是否能有更进一步的发展?
Could you, say, instead of using material, can I take some cells along with the material, and remove a damaged piece of tissue, put a bio-degradable material on there? 我们能否,比如,不要用材料, 而是在使用这个材料的同时更够取出一些细胞, 并清除一块受伤的组织, 然后放一个人体可以自行降解的材料上去?
You can see here a little bit of heart muscle beating in a dish. 这里你可以看到一小块心脏肌肉正在一个培养皿里面跳动。
muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
This was done by Teruo Okano at Tokyo Women's Hospital. 这个是东京女子医院的Teruo Okano的研究成果。
He can actually grow beating tissue in a dish. 他可以在培养皿里面培养出会跳动的组织。
He chills the dish, it changes its properties and he peels it right out of the dish. 然后让培养皿冷却,来改变它的特性, 之后他就可以把组织直接从培养皿中剥离下来。
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷;
It's the coolest stuff . 这真的是很酷。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
Now I'm going to show you cell-based regeneration. 我现在要展示给你们的是基于细胞的再生疗法。
And what I'm going to show you here is stem cells being removed from the hip of a patient. 我现在要给你们看的 是从一个病人的髋部采集干细胞。
stem:n.花草的茎或梗;高脚酒杯的脚;烟斗柄;词干;v.阻止;封堵;遏止;
Again, if you're squeamish, you don't want to watch. 与以前一样,如果你比较敏感的话,就不要看了。
But this one's kind of cool. 不过这个还是挺酷的。
So this is a bypass operation, just like what Al Gore had, with a difference. 这是一个心脏搭桥手术,跟Al Gore做过的那个一样, 但还是有区别的。
bypass:vt.绕开;忽视;设旁路;迂回;n.旁路;[公路]支路;
In this case, at the end of the bypass operation, you're going to see the stem cells from the patient that were removed at the beginning of the procedure being injected directly into the heart of the patient. 不同的是,在这里,在心脏搭桥做完之后, 我们将会看到病人的干细胞, 在手术开始的时候采集的干细胞, 将被直接注射进病人的心脏。
procedure:n.步骤;手术;(商业、法律或政治上的)程序; injected:v.(给…)注射(药物等); (inject的过去分词和过去式) directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
And I'm standing up here because at one point 我现在站在这里,是因为过一会儿,
I'm going to show you just how early this technology is. 我要给大家指出这个技术现在还在很初级阶段。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Here go the stem cells, right into the beating heart of the patient. 现在干细胞进去了,直接被注入病人还在跳动的心脏。
And if you look really carefully, it's going to be right around this point you'll actually see a back-flush. 如果大家很仔细得看, 大概就在这个时候, 就会看到反向逆流。
You see the cells coming back out. 你会看到干细胞被冲出来。
We need all sorts of new technology, new devices, to get the cells to the right place at the right time . 我们需要各种新的技术和装置, 设法让细胞在正确的时间到达正确的部位。
at the right time:在适当时候;
Just a little bit of data, a tiny bit of data. 这里有一点实验数据,只是一点点数据。
This was a randomized trial. 这是一个随机的试验。
randomized:adj.[数]随机化的,随机的;v.使随机化;做任意排列(randomize的过去分词);
At this time this was an N of 20. Now there's an N of about 100. 当时的样本数目只有20个,现在已经累积到近100个了。
Basically, if you take an extremely sick patient and you give them a bypass, they get a little bit better. 简单的说,如果一个重病患者 接受了搭桥手术,他的症状会稍微好转。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
If you give them stem cells as well as their bypass, for these particular patients, they became asymptomatic . 如果他们在搭桥的同时接受了干细胞治疗, 那么这些病人的症状就会完全消失。
asymptomatic:adj.无症状的;
These are now two years out. 这些数据已经是两年前的了。
The coolest thing would be is if you could diagnose the disease early, and prevent the onset of the disease to a bad state. 最酷的是如果你能在疾病的早期就确诊, 并防止疾病恶化的可能性。
This is the same procedure, but now done minimally invasively, with only three holes in the body where they're taking the heart and simply injecting stem cells through a laparoscopic procedure. 这手术跟刚刚看到的类似,但采用了低侵入手术方法, 只要在心脏周围的身体打3个孔 然后利用内窥镜手术注入干细胞。
minimally:adv.最低限度地;最低程度地; injecting:v.(给…)注射(药物等);(给…)添加,增加(某品质);(inject的现在分词) laparoscopic:adj.腹腔镜检查的;
There go the cells. 现在干细胞进去了。
We don't have time to go into all of those details, but basically, that works too. 我没有时间来讲它的详细过程, 但基本上这个方法是可行的。
You can take patients who are less sick, and bring them back to an almost asymptomatic state through that kind of therapy. 我们可以让症状比较轻的病人 回复到几乎无症状的状态, 只要使用了这种治疗方法。
Here's another example of stem-cell therapy that isn't quite clinical yet, but I think very soon will be. 这是另一个尚未进入临床试验阶段的干细胞疗法的例子, 但我想不久以后会进入临床了。
This is the work of Kacey Marra from Pittsburgh, along with a number of colleagues around the world. 这是匹兹堡大学的Kacey Marra的研究成果, 她与世界各地的很多科学家合作。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
They've decided that liposuction fluid , which -- in the United States, we have a lot of liposuction fluid. 他们认为抽脂手术时取出的脂肪液体, 在美国,我们可是有很多的抽脂手术抽出的脂肪液体。
liposuction:n.脂肪吸除手术;抽脂术; fluid:adj.流动的;流畅的;不固定的;n.流体;液体; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's a great source of stem cells. 这其实是很好的干细胞来源。
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
Stem cells are packed in that liposuction fluid. 脂肪液中慢慢的塞着很多干细胞。
So you could go in, you could get your tummy-tuck. 所以你可以去诊所,抽个脂来获得你想要的扁平的小腹。
Out comes the liposuction fluid, and in this case, the stem cells are isolated and turned into neurons. 然后就能抽出脂肪液。 在这个病例中,被分离出来的干细胞被转成神经元。
isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离;
All done in the lab. 这全部都是在实验室里完成的。
And I think fairly soon, you will see patients being treated with their own fat-derived, or adipose-derived, stem cells. 我想在不久的将来,我们就能看到患者接受这中治疗 使用他们自己的脂肪或者脂肪细胞里分离出来的干细胞。
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
I talked before about the use of devices to dramatically change the way we treat disease. 我前面也提到过用一些精巧的装置 去颠覆治疗疾病的方式。
Here's just one example before I close up. 我在结束前再提最后一个例子。
This is equally tragic. 这也是件悲惨的事情。
We have a very abiding and heartbreaking partnership with our colleagues at the Institute for Surgical Research in the US Army, who have to treat the now 11,000 kids that have come back from Iraq. 我们与ISR (美国陆军外科研究所)的科学家们有着很长但也令人心碎的 的合作关系。 他们需要治疗1万1千名从伊拉克回来的年轻人。
abiding:adj.持久的,永久的;不变的;v.遵守;容忍;继续存在(abide的现在分词); heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的; partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; Surgical:adj.外科的;外科手术的;
Many of those patients are very severely burned. 其中很多都有严重烧伤。
severely:adv.严重地;严格地,严厉地;纯朴地;
And if there's anything that's been learned about burn, it's that we don't know how to treat it. 但如果说我们对烧伤有什么了解的话, 我们对它的了解就是烧伤目前还无法治愈。
Everything that is done to treat burn -- basically we do a sodding approach . 目前治疗烧伤的所有方法 - 基本上就是皮肤移植。
sodding:adj.(用以加强语气)见鬼的;他妈的;v.诅咒;给…铺草皮(sod的现在分词); approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
We make something over here, and then we transplant it onto the site of the wound, and we try and get the two to take. 我们从某个部位取下一块皮肤, 再把它移植到被烧伤的地方, 然后试着让他们长到一起。
transplant:v.移植;迁移;使移居;n.移植;移居者; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
In this case here, a new, wearable bio-reactor has been designed -- it should be tested clinically later this year at ISR -- by Joerg Gerlach in Pittsburgh. 这个病例中,我们设计出了一种新的可以贴在人体上的生物反应器 - 年底ISR(美国陆军外科研究所)应该就会让它进入临床试验 - 这个反应器是由匹兹堡大学的Joerg Gerlach设计的。
wearable:adj.可穿用的,可佩带的;耐用的;n.衣服;
And that bio-reactor will lay down in the wound bed. 这种生物反应器可以铺在创面上。
The gun that you see there sprays cells. 大家看到的那个喷枪则会喷上细胞。
sprays:n.喷雾;[药]喷雾剂(spray的复数);v.喷;扫射(spray的三单形式);
That's going to spray cells over that area. 将细胞均匀的喷洒到伤口上。
The reactor will serve to fertilize the environment, deliver other things as well at the same time , and therefore we will seed that lawn , as opposed to try the sodding approach. 这个反应器将会营养周围的环境, 同时也运输一些其他的物质, 所以我们就跟播撒草种子让它来长出草坪一样, 而不是把草皮从一个地方揭下来再铺到另一个地方。
reactor:n.[化工]反应器;[核]反应堆;起反应的人; fertilize:vt.使受精;使肥沃; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; lawn:n.草地;草坪; opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
It's a completely different way of doing it. 这是个全然不同的治疗方法。
So my 18 minutes is up. 嗯,我的18分钟快要结束了。
So let me finish up with some good news, and maybe a little bit of bad news. 让我以一些好的消息来结束这次演讲吧, 也许也有一小部分是坏消息。
finish up with:以…结束;
The good news is that this is happening today. 好消息是,这些研究现在都在进行着。
It's very powerful work. 这是很伟大的工作。
Clearly the images kind of get that across. 很显然,那些图片会让你体会到这点。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
It's incredibly difficult because it's highly inter-disciplinary. 这不是一般的困难,因为他需要很多不同领域学科的高度合作。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地;
Almost every field of science engineering and clinical practice is involved in trying to get this to happen. 几乎每个科学工程领域和临床医学都涉及到了, 都在努力让人体的再生成为现实。
engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
A number of governments, and a number of regions , have recognized that this is a new way to treat disease. 许多政府,以及很多地区, 都已经清楚的认识到这是一种新的治疗疾病的方式。
regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数) recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
The Japanese government were perhaps the first, when they decided to invest first 3 billion, later another 2 billion in this field. 日本政府可能是第一个, 当他们决定先在这个领域投资30亿, 然后又加投了20亿的时候。
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
It's no coincidence . 这绝非巧合。
coincidence:n.巧合,巧事;同时存在;并存;相同;
Japan is the oldest country on earth in terms of its average age. 从人口的平均年龄上讲,日本是世界上最“老”的国家。
They need this to work or their health system dies. 因此他们需要让这项研究成功,不然他们的医疗系统就要垮掉。
So they're putting a lot of strategic investment focused in this area. 所以在瞄准领域他们做了很多策略性的投资。
strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
The European Union , same thing. 欧盟做了同样的事情。
European Union:n.欧洲联盟;
China, the same thing. 中国,也是同样的事情。
China just launched a national tissue-engineering center. 中国的国家组织工程研究中心才刚刚落成。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
The first year budget was 250 million US dollars. 第一年的研究经费预算就有2亿5千万美元。
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
In the United States we've had a somewhat different approach. We -- 在美国,我们倒是采取了一种不同的做法。我们 -
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微;
(Laughter) (笑声)
- oh, for Al Gore to come and be in the real world as president. 哦,如果能让戈尔来当现实世界的总统。
We've had a different approach. 我们的做法是不同的。
And the approach has basically been to just sort of fund things as they come along. 这个做法基本上就是有项目报上来就顺水推舟给点儿资助,
fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
But there's been no strategic investment to bring all of the necessary things to bear and focus them in a careful way. 但没有任何战略性的投资 来把保证必需的资源和条件搜集到一起并且很好地集中使用它们。
And I'm going to finish up with a quote , maybe a little cheap shot, at the director of the NIH, who's a very charming man. 我将引用一段话来结束我的讲话,可能有点儿不上台面, 是关于NIH (美国国家卫生研究院)的负责人,很有魅力的一个人。
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; charming:adj.令人着迷的;吸引人的;v.吸引;迷住;控制,保护;(charm的现在分词)
Myself and Jay Vacanti from Harvard went to visit with him and a number of his directors of his institute just a few months ago, to try and convince him that it was time to take just a little piece 我与哈佛大学的Jay Vacanti 拜访了他跟其他几位卫生研究院的院长 大概就是在几个月前, 我们试着说服到时候该分给我们一点儿东西了,
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生; convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
of that 27.5 billion dollars that he's going to get next year and focus it, in a strategic way, to make sure we can accelerate the pace at which these things get to patients. 他可以从明年的275亿预算中拨出一小部分来资助我们 并有策略地集中使用它,来保证我们可以加快研究的步伐, 让患者早日受益。
accelerate:v.加快;加速;n.接受速成教育的学生;
And at the end of a very testy meeting, what the NIH director said is, "Your vision is larger than our appetite ." 在这个火药味很浓的会谈的最后, NIH (美国国家卫生研究院)的负责人是这么跟我说的: “我们的胃口太小了,装不下你那么大的理想。”
testy:adj.易怒的;暴躁的; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; appetite:n.食欲;嗜好;
I'd like to close by saying that no one's going to change our vision, but together we can change his appetite. 作为结束语,我想说,没有人能改变我们的理想, 但如果我们齐心协力的话,就可以改变他的胃口。
Thank you. 谢谢。