|
|
AdeolaFayehun_2020-_非洲是沉睡的巨人——而我在尝试唤醒它_-
|
What's up, people? |
大家都好么? |
First of all , I cannot believe I'm on TED Talk. |
我不敢相信自己正在做 TED 演讲。 |
This is a big deal . |
这可是个大事儿。 |
Because right now, everybody in my village is watching this. |
因为现在 我们村所有人都在看这个演讲。 |
And so, of course, my bride price just went up. |
当然,我的聘礼也水涨船高啦! |
My name is Adeola Fayehun. |
我叫阿迪奥拉·法伊罕 (Adeola Fayehun),[00:24] |
First of all:adv.首先; a big deal:na.要人;重要的事; bride:n.新娘;
|
I'm from Nigeria. |
来自尼日利亚, |
I live in the US, |
现居美国。 |
I'm a journalist , or a comedian , or a satirist , anything you want me to be, really. |
我是个记者,也是喜剧演员、 讽刺家, 你想让我是什么就是什么。 |
I'm every woman, it's all in me. |
所有女性的社会角色 都能在我身上找到。 |
I host a YouTube show called "Keeping It Real with Adeola." |
我有个叫《与 Adeola 一起认清现实》的 YouTube 节目。 |
Now this show is a gentle, respectful and very blunt way of calling out corrupt African leaders. |
这个节目用温和、尊重, 但又非常直率的方式 揭露贪腐的非洲领导人。 |
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者; comedian:n.滑稽演员;喜剧演员; satirist:n.讽刺作家;爱挖苦的人; respectful:adj.恭敬的;有礼貌的; blunt:adj.钝的,不锋利的;生硬的;直率的;v.使迟钝; corrupt:v.损坏;破坏;使腐化;使堕落;adj.贪污的;受贿的;腐败的;营私舞弊的;
|
(Video) President Buhari: I don't know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen. |
(视频)布哈里总统: 我不知道我妻子隶属哪个党, 但是她属于我的厨房。 |
Adeola Fayehun: Oh, my God! |
Adeola Fayehun:哦,老天爷! |
I need some water -- |
我需要水—— |
I said I need some water! |
我都说了我要喝水! |
See? |
看到没? |
I basically keep it real with them, ha! |
我就想让他们认清现实,哈! |
Especially when they mess up, which is a lot of times. |
尤其是他们搞砸了的时候。 这种情况还挺多。 |
If any African official is watching me, by the way , |
顺便说一下, 如果有非洲官员看这个演讲的话, |
I'm not talking about you, sir. |
先生,我说的不是您, |
I'm talking about your colleagues , yes. |
而是您的同事。[01:11] |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; Especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺; official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; by the way:顺便说一下; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
|
I do this because Africa has everything in it to be great. |
我这么做是因为 非洲拥有所有发展进步的要素。 |
You know, I grew up believing that Africa as a continent is a giant . |
我从小到大都相信 非洲大陆是个巨人。 |
We've got skills, intellectuals , natural resources more than any other continent. |
我们拥有技能和才智。 自然资源也远多于其它大陆。 |
Africa supplies 31 percent of the world's gold, manganese and uranium , 57 percent of the world's diamonds and 13 percent of the world's oil. |
非洲出产全球 31% 的金子、 锰和铀, 全球 57% 的钻石 和 13% 的石油。 |
continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的; giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 intellectuals:n.[劳经]知识分子(intellectual的复数); resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); manganese:n.[化学]锰; uranium:n.[化学]铀;
|
We have no reason to depend on aid or borrowing money from China or the World Bank . |
我们没理由要依靠援助, 或从中国或世界银行借钱。 |
But without good leaders, we're like an eagle that has no idea it could fly, let alone soar . |
但是没有好的领导人, 我们就像不知道自己可以飞的老鹰, 更别提翱翔了。 |
Africa is a like a sleeping giant. |
非洲就像一个沉睡的巨人。 |
Now the truth is, I'm trying to wake up this giant, and that's why I air the dirty laundry of those in charge of the giant. |
现在我试图唤醒这个巨人。 因此,我会把掌管巨人的 那些人的丑事 抖出来—— |
World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构); let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰; soar:v.翱翔;高飞;猛增;高耸;n.翱翔;上升高度;高飞范围; laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服; in charge of:负责;主管;
|
Our politicians , our religious leaders, with huge respect, of course, because more than anything else, |
我们的政客和宗教领袖。 当然我是心存尊敬的, 因为非洲领导人最爱的 |
African leaders love to be respected. |
就是被人尊敬。 |
So I give it to them in doses . |
所以我给够他们尊敬。 |
On my show, |
在我的节目里, |
I kneel for them -- ha! -- |
我跪拜他们 —— 哈!——[02:19] |
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; doses:v.服药(dose的三单形式);n.[药][核]剂量(dose的复数); kneel:v.跪;跪着;跪下;
|
I call them my uncles, my aunties , my fathers in the lord , and then -- |
我管他们叫叔叔、婶婶, 尊敬而神圣的长辈。 然后, |
I insult them for insulting our intelligence . |
我因为他们羞辱我们的智商 而反过来羞辱他们。 |
And it's because we are tired of the hypocrisy and false promises. |
因为我们厌倦了 表里不一和虚假的承诺。 |
For example, the Nigerian president vowed to end medical tourism by fixing our dilapidated hospitals and building us new ones. |
比如, 尼日利亚总统承诺 通过修缮国内老旧的医院, 并建造新医院 来终结医疗旅游业。 |
aunties:n.舅妈,伯母;阿姨; lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福; insulting:adj.侮辱的,无礼的;污蔑的;损害人体的;v.侮辱;损害;(insult的现在分词); intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; hypocrisy:n.虚伪;伪善; vowed:v.起誓;立誓;发誓;(vow的过去分词和过去式) dilapidated:adj.荒废的,要塌似的;破坏的;v.变得荒废(dilapidate的过去分词);
|
But what did he do? |
但他做了什么呢? |
He spends three months receiving treatment in London in 2017. |
2017 年,他在伦敦接受了 为期三个月的治疗。 |
We were without a president for three months. |
我们的国家 整整三个月都没有总统! |
We were president-less for three months. |
三个月无总统! |
So then it becomes my job to call out the President, with respect , of course. |
所以,我就要戳破这件事。 当然了,我是充满敬意的。 |
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; with respect:怀有敬意;
|
I said, "Ha, Mr. President, it's your girl, Adeola. |
我说:”哈,总统先生。 我是你的国民,Adeola。 |
You know how I do, how you doing? |
您好呀! |
You have no shame." |
您真不知羞耻。” |
I forgot to add "sir." |
我忘了说“先生”了—— |
'"Sir, you have no shame. |
“先生,您真不知羞耻。 |
(In Yoruba: You have no fear of God.) |
(约鲁巴语) |
You have no fear of God." |
您对上帝没有敬畏。” |
Thirty-five thousand Nigerian doctors are presently working in the US, the UK and Canada, doing amazing things, because in Nigeria, they are not well-paid , neither do they have the necessary equipment to do the job of being a doctor. |
3 万 5 千名尼日利亚医生 目前在美国、 英国和加拿大工作, 做着伟大的事情。 因为在尼日利亚,他们工资不高, 也没有医生所需的 必要设备。 |
And this is happening in many African countries. |
很多非洲国家都有同样的情况。 |
We have the capacity to fly. |
我们有飞翔的能力。 |
But sadly, a lot of African talent is flying straight out of Africa to other continents . |
但遗憾的是, 很多非洲人直接飞出了非洲, 去往其它大陆。 |
presently:adv.(美)目前;不久; well-paid:adj.待遇优厚的;收入高的; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; continents:n.[地理]大陆,大洲(continent复数);
|
For example, this Nigerian doctor operated on an unborn baby in Texas. |
比如, 这位尼日利亚医生在德克萨斯州 为未出生婴儿做手术。 |
Also, this Nigerian doctor discovered the neurological effects of concussion on athletes . |
而这位医生发现了 脑震荡对运动员的神经学影响。 |
And many countries have African athletes winning the gold medal for them. |
很多国家有非洲裔运动员 为它们效力并赢得金牌。 |
unborn:adj.未来的;未诞生的; neurological:adj.神经病学的,神经学上的; concussion:n.冲击;震荡;脑震荡; athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式); gold medal:n.金牌;金质奖章;
|
The interesting thing is, we're waiting for God to fix Africa. |
有意思的是, 我们在等待上帝拯救非洲。 |
Like, for real, it's not a joke, we are, we're waiting for God. |
这不是个笑话。 我们真的在等待上帝。 |
I mean, just look at the president of Burundi. |
就看看布隆迪共和国总统。 |
He's jailing journalists and opposition members, but he declared national day of prayer so that people could pray for God to fix the country. |
他囚禁记者和反对派人士, 但是他同时又宣布设立国家祈祷日。 这样民众就能向上帝祈祷 解决布隆迪的问题。 |
And I'm like, shouldn't he be fixing the country? |
我就不明白了, 不应该是他处理国家问题么? |
Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no. |
哦,不,不,不,不,不,不, |
We want God to fix it. |
我们想让上帝解决。 |
Do you see what I have to deal with? |
你们知道我需要应付什么了吧?[04:26] |
jailing:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;vt.监禁;下狱; journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数); opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
|
I'm telling you, thunder is getting ready to hit these politicians some day. |
我很确定, 这些政客总有一天会被雷劈。 |
We are better than this. |
我们原本可以做得更好 |
I want our leaders to start taking responsibility and stop putting everything on God. |
我希望我们的领导人开始负起责任。 不要所有事都靠上帝。 |
God has given us everything we need. |
上帝已经给了我们所需的一切。 |
It's right here, let's use it. |
都在这儿,让我们用起来![04:45] |
thunder:n.雷;雷声;轰隆声;v.打雷;发出雷鸣般响声;
|
But here's the thing, my favorite part of what I do is featuring Africans doing amazing work, ordinary people touching lives. |
但是重点是,我最喜欢 展现非洲人的惊人之举。 普通人改变人生。 |
Like this Kenyan woman, Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to receive the Nobel Peace prize, for standing up for human rights and planting a million trees. |
比如这位肯尼亚妇女 旺加里·马塔伊。 她是第一位获得 诺贝尔和平奖的非洲女性。 她挺身维护人权, 并种下了百万棵树。 |
Also this Zimbabwean woman, |
还有这位津巴布韦妇女, |
Dr. Tererai Trent, who was married off at the age of 14 in exchange for a cow. |
特莱艾·特伦恩特博士。 在她 14 岁时,家里人就把她嫁出去, 换了一头牛。 |
Yet, this woman taught herself to read and write, and she ended up on Oprah 's show. |
但是她自学读写, 最后还上了奥普拉的节目。 |
Oh, Father, I want to be on Oprah some day. |
哦,天父, 我也想有一天能上奥普拉的节目。 |
Today, this woman has built schools for thousands of children in Zimbabwe . |
现在,特伦恩特博士 为津巴布韦成千上万的孩子 |
in exchange for:作为…的交换; Oprah:n.奥普拉(美国电视节目主持人); Zimbabwe:n.津巴布韦(国家名,位于非洲);
|
Also, popular British architect David Adjaye has designed spectacular buildings around the world. |
此外,着名英国设计师 戴维·阿德贾伊设计的壮观建筑 遍布全球。 |
And he's both Ghanian and Tanzanian, so we know that it has to be the Ghanian Jollof rice , which he ate, that gave him the inspiration to design. |
他出生在坦桑尼亚。 所以肯定是因为他总吃 加纳烩米饭 才有了设计灵感。 |
Ah, maybe it's the Nigerian Jollof rice, because Nigerian one is better. |
也许他吃的是尼日利亚烩米饭, 因为尼日利亚的更好。 |
architect:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者; spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; Jollof rice:n.(西非)辣椒炖(鱼)肉饭;
|
Anyway, but that is what gave him the inspiration to become the great man that he is today. |
不管怎样,这给了他灵感, 让他成为今天我们看到的成功人士。 |
And while I have your attention, |
既然各位在全神贯注地听, |
I have one more thing to say, so please move closer. |
我还有一件事要讲。 所以请靠近一些。 |
OK, that's good, don't get too close, that's good. |
可以了, 别靠太近,这样就好。 |
I don't like the way some of you portray Africa. |
我不喜欢你们有些人 描述非洲的方式。 |
Not all of you, just some of you. |
不是所有人,只是你们有些人, |
You especially. |
尤其是你。 |
First of all, it's not a country, it's a continent. |
首先,非洲不是个国家。 它是个大陆。 |
I do not know Paul from Uganda , |
我不认识来自乌干达的保罗,[06:10] |
portray:vt.描绘;扮演; Uganda:n.乌干达(非洲国家);
|
I don't know Rebecca from Zimbabwe. |
也不认识来自津巴布韦的丽贝卡。 |
Nigeria is as far from Zimbabwe as New York is from France. |
尼日利亚和津巴布韦的距离 有纽约到法国那么远! |
And it's not a bunch of naked people in need of Western charity . |
而且非洲人也不是衣不遮体, 急需西方国家的救助。 |
You have it all wrong. |
你完全搞错了! |
Lions are not roaming our streets, OK? |
狮子也不在我们大街上溜达,好嘛? |
And I could go on, but you already know what I'm talking about. |
我可以继续列举下去, 但是你应该已经领悟我的意思了。 |
So while I try to do my job, trying to wake up the sleeping giant, Africa, so she could take her rightful place on the world's arena , you can your bit, too. |
所以我做好我的事情, 试图唤醒非洲这个沉睡的巨人, 让她能够在世界舞台上 拥有应有的地位。 你也可以做好你的事情。[06:30] |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的; charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物; roaming:n.漫游;移动;v.漫步;闲逛;徘徊(roam的现在分词); rightful:adj.合法的;正当的;公正的;正直的; arena:n.舞台;竞技场;
|
Please listen more. |
请更多地倾听。 |
Listen to your African friends without a preconceived notion of what you think that they're going to say. |
听非洲朋友讲话时, 不要带着你认为 他们会说什么的 先入为主的观念。 |
Read African books. |
读非洲的书。 |
Oh, my God, watch African movies. |
上帝啊,看非洲电影! |
Or at the very least, learn some of the names of our 54 beautiful countries. |
或者最起码, 了解非洲 54 个美丽国家的名字。 |
That's right, 54, baby, five-four. |
没错,54,亲爱的,五十四。[06:57] |
preconceived:adj.预想的; v.预想(preconceive的过去式和过去分词); notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
|
Alright, y'all, it's been real, and I'm keeping it real right up in here. |
好了,各位,很高兴讲了这么多。 我在这儿努力以求真实。 |
Until next time, I'm going to see you all later. |
下次见。 |
Peace out. |
再见。 |