|
|
AdamSadowsky_2010X-_亚当_萨多斯基操刀制作的一部火爆音乐视频_
|
Hi there. |
大家好。 |
I'm going to be talking a little bit about music, machines and life. |
我准备简单地谈一下 音乐,机器和生活。 |
Or, more specifically , what we learned from the creation of a very large and complicated machine for a music video. |
或者,更具体地说, 从为一部音乐视频而制造的一套庞大复杂的机器中 我们学到了什么。 |
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
Some of you may recognize this image. |
在座可能有人认得这个画面。 |
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
|
This is the opening frame of the video that we created. |
这就是我们制作的视频开场。 |
frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
|
We'll be showing the video at the end, but before we do, I want to talk a little bit about what it is that they wanted. |
在最后我们会播放这个视频, 但是,在这之前,我想先讲讲 他们(OK Go)当时提出的要求。 |
Now, when we first started talking to OK Go -- the name of the song is "This Too Shall Pass" -- we were really excited because they expressed interest in building a machine that they could dance with. |
第一次和OK Go乐队商讨的时候—— 这首歌的名字叫“一切都会过去”—— 我们当时非常兴奋因为 他们表示有意制造一台机器,好让他们跟着它跳舞。 |
expressed:v.表示;表达;显而易见;不言自明;(express的过去分词和过去式)
|
And we were very excited about this because, of course, they have a history of dancing with machines. |
我们听了非常兴奋, 因为,当然啦, 他们有一段与机器共舞的历史。 |
They're responsible for this video, "Here It Goes Again." |
这个视频就是他们出演的,“唉,又来了”(歌名) |
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
|
50-million-plus views on YouTube. |
在YouTube上获得超过五千万播放次数。 |
Four guys dancing on treadmills , no cuts, just a static camera. |
四个男人在跑步机上跳舞, 没有剪接,只使用了一架固定摄像机。 |
treadmills:n.活动平板; (treadmill的复数); static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰);
|
A fantastically viral and wonderful video. |
一部令人叫绝并迅速走红的视频。 |
fantastically:adv.想像中地;奇特地;难以置信地; viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的;
|
So we were really excited about working with them. |
所以,能跟他们合作,我们实在是太兴奋了。 |
And we sort of started talking about what it is that they wanted. |
接着我们开始谈到他们的具体要求。 |
And they explained that they wanted kind of a Rube Goldberg machine. |
他们解释说他们想要 一个类似鲁宾·戈德堡装置那样的机器。 |
Rube Goldberg:adj.结构过于复杂的;不实用的;
|
Now, for those of you who don't know, a Rube Goldberg machine is a complicated contraption , an incredibly over-engineered piece of machinery that accomplishes a relatively simple task. |
你们有些人没听说过 鲁宾·戈德堡装置 就是一套复杂而奇妙机器, 一组令人煞费苦心制造出的机械装置 只为完成一个相对简单的任务。 |
contraption:n.奇妙的装置;精巧的设计; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; machinery:n.机械;机器;机构;机械装置; accomplishes:v.完成;(accomplish的第三人称单数) relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
|
So we were excited by this idea, and we started talking about exactly what it would look like. |
这个设想让我们跃跃欲试, 于是我们开始商量 这套机器该是什么样的。 |
And we came up with some parameters , because, you know, building a Rube Goldberg machine has limitations , but it also is pretty wide open. |
我们提出了几套方案-- 要知道,制造一套鲁宾·戈德堡装置 是有很多局限的, 但发挥的空间也很广。 |
parameters:n.决定因素;规范;范围;(parameter的复数) limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
|
And we wanted to make sure that we did something that would work for a music video. |
我们要确保我们所做的 能在音乐视频中派上用场。 |
So we came up with a list of requirements, the "10 commandments ," |
因此我们列出了一些要求 称之为“十诫”, |
commandments:n.诫命(commandment的复数);戒律;
|
and they were, in order of ascending difficulty: |
内容如下,按难度的升序排列: |
ascending:adj.上升的;v.上升;获得(ascend的ing形式);追溯;
|
The first is "No magic." |
第一条是“不玩魔术”。 |
Everything that happened on screen had to be very easily understood by a typical viewer. |
镜头里的所有东西都必须 让一个普通观众很轻易就能看懂。 |
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
|
The rule of thumb was that, if my mother couldn't understand it, then we couldn't use it in the video. |
考量的标准就是,如果我的母亲看不懂, 那么我们就不能用它。 |
rule of thumb:手工业方式;靠经验估计;经验法则;拇指规则;单凭经验来做的方法;
|
They wanted band integration , that is, the machine acting upon the band members, specifically not the other way around. |
第二,他们要求乐队与机器合为一体, 机器必须作用于乐队成员的身上, 而尤其不能反过来。 |
band:n.带;波段;频带;箍;v.加彩条(或嵌条等);(将价格、收入等)划分档次; integration:n.集成;综合;
|
They wanted the machine action to follow the song feeling. |
第三,他们希望机器能够跟着歌曲的感觉走。 |
So as the song picks up emotion , so should the machine get grander in its process . |
也就是当歌曲渐入佳境, 机器要随着歌曲 运作规模越来越大。 |
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
They wanted us to make use of the space. |
第四,他们希望我们充分利用空间。 |
make use of:使用,利用;
|
So we have this 10,000-square-foot warehouse we were using, divided between two floors. |
于是我们使用了一间占地10000平方英尺的工房, 把它分成两层楼。 |
warehouse:n.仓库,货栈;货仓;
|
It included an exterior loading dock . |
它包括一个外部装卸支架。 |
exterior:n.外观;外表;adj.外面的;外部的;外表的;户外的; dock:n.码头;船坞;被告席;尾巴的骨肉部分;vt.使靠码头;剪短;vi.入船坞;
|
We used all of that, including a giant hole in the floor that we actually descended the camera and cameraman through. |
我们用上了所有的空间,连地板上的一个大洞都没放过。 我们就是通过这个洞口来升降摄像机和摄影师的。 |
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 descended:adj.出身于...的;从一个祖先传下来的; cameraman:n.摄影师;照相师;摄影记者;
|
They wanted it messy , and we were happy to oblige . |
第五,场面乱成一团,这我们也非常乐意效劳。 |
messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的; oblige:v.迫使;(以法律、义务等)强迫;效劳;
|
The machine itself would start the music. |
第六,机器自己会开始播放歌曲。 |
So the machine would get started, it would travel some distance, reacting along the way, hit play on an iPod or a tape deck or something that would start playback . |
这样机器就启动了, 它会经过一段路程, 沿途进行各种反应, 启动一台iPod或卡带机 或者其它有重放功能的设备。 |
reacting:v.起反应;(对…)作出反应;回应;(react的现在分词) deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒; playback:n.[电视][广播]重放;录音重放装置;
|
And the machine would maintain synchronization throughout . |
第七,机器的全程运转与音乐同步进行。 |
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); synchronization:n.[物]同步;同时性; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
|
And speaking of synchronization, they wanted it to sync to the rhythm and to hit specific beats along the way. |
讲到同步进行, 他们特别要求机器必须与节拍同步, 并且全程的每一个拍子都要准确踩到位。 |
rhythm:n.节奏;韵律;
|
Okay. (Laughter) |
行。(笑声) |
They wanted it to end precisely on time. |
第八,他们要求运作过程要准时结束。 |
Okay, so now the start to finish timing has to be perfect. |
好,这样从开始到结束的时间就要分秒不差。 |
And they wanted the music to drop out at a certain point in the video and actual live audio from the machine to play part of the song. |
第九,他们还要求音乐暂停 在视频中某一特定时间点上, 然后由机器自带的音频来 播放歌曲的一部分。 |
audio:adj.声音的;录音的;
|
And as if that wasn't enough, all of these incredibly complicating things, right, they wanted it in one shot. |
好像这些都还不算什么, 尽管以上所有要求已经极其苛刻了,对吧, 他们还要求全程一镜到底。 |
complicating:v.使复杂化;(complicate的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Okay. |
好吧。 |
So, just some statistics about what we went through in the process. |
那么,下面这些数据 是从我们工作的过程中统计的。 |
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
|
The machine itself has 89 distinct interactions . |
机器本身有 89个不同的连锁动作。 |
distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的; interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数)
|
It took us 85 takes to get it on film to our satisfaction . |
我们演练了85次 为上镜头之后 能够令人满意。 |
satisfaction:n.满意,满足;赔偿;乐事;赎罪;
|
Of those 85 takes, only three actually successfully completed their run. |
在这85次演练中, 只有三次圆满完成运作。 |
We destroyed two pianos and 10 televisions in the process. |
我们总共弄毁了两架钢琴 和十台电视机。 |
We went to Home Depot well over a hundred times. |
我们往家得宝超市跑了不下100趟。 |
Depot:n.仓库;停车场;航空站;vt.把…存放在储藏处;adj.药性持久的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And we lost one high-heeled shoe when one of our engineers, Heather Knight , left her high-heeled shoe -- after a nice dinner, and returned back to the build -- and left it in a pile of stuff . |
另外我们还牺牲了一只高跟鞋。 那是当我们的一位工程师海瑟·奈特, 落下了她的一只高跟鞋——在一顿美妙的晚餐之后, 她回到工房—— 把鞋落在一堆杂物中。 |
high-heeled:adj.高跟的; Knight:n.(中世纪的)骑士;(英国)爵士(其名前冠以Sir);v.封(某人)为爵士; pile:n.桩;堆;摞;桩柱;v.堆放;摞起;叠放;放置; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And another engineer thought, "Well, that would be a really good thing to use" |
接着另一位工程师一想,“咦,这可以派上大用场。” |
and ended up using it as a really nice trigger . |
最后他就把它用作一个非常棒的启动装置。 |
trigger:n.触发器; v.触发;
|
And it's actually in the machine. |
它事实上就在机器中。 |
So what did we learn from all of this? |
那么我们从中学到了什么呢? |
Well, having completed this, we have the opportunity to step back and reflect on some of the things. |
完成了这项工程以后, 我们有机会退一步反思一下 其中的一些事情。 |
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑;
|
And we learned that small stuff stinks . |
我们领悟到琐碎小事会令人抓狂。 |
stinks:v.令人厌恶;发臭味(stink的第三人称单数);n.恶臭;讨厌的人(stink的复数);
|
Little balls in wooden tracks are really susceptible to humidity and temperature and a little bit of dust, and they fall out of the tracks, the exact angles makes it hard to get right. |
那些木制轨道上的小珠子 非常容易受 湿气,温度,和哪怕一点灰尘的影响。 它们从轨道上滚落 很难把握角度的精准度。 |
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 tracks:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;(track的第三人称单数和复数) susceptible:adj.易受影响的;易感动的;容许…的;n.易得病的人; humidity:n.[气象]湿度;湿气;
|
And yet, a bowling ball will always follow the same path. |
相反,一个保龄球就总可以顺利地通过同样的路径。 |
It doesn't matter what temperature it is, doesn't matter what's in its way; it will pretty much get where it needs to go. |
不管温度高低, 不管前面有什么阻碍; 它几乎都可以顺利到达目的地。 |
But as much as the small stuff stinks, we needed somewhere to start, so that we would have somewhere to go. |
但尽管那些琐碎的小东西会让人抓狂,我们还是需要找到一个起点, 这样才能知道该往哪走。 |
And so you have to start with it. You have to focus on it. |
所以你必须开始动手,必须全身心投入。 |
Small stuff stinks, but, of course, it's essential , right? |
琐碎小事让人头疼, 但是,当然,它不可或缺,对吧。 |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
|
What else? Planning is incredibly important. |
还学到什么了呢?计划是至关重要的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You know, we spent a lot of time ideating and even building some of these things. |
你知道,我们花了大量时间构思 甚至做了一些模型。 |
It's been said that, "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." |
有句话说得好:“纸上谈兵 不及临阵对敌。” |
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
|
I think our enemy was physics -- |
我认为我们的敌人是物理学。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
and she's a cruel mistress . |
它可是一位难伺候的主儿。 |
mistress:n.情妇;女主人;主妇;女教师;女能人;
|
Often, we had to pull things out as a result because of timing or aesthetics or whatever. |
我们往往不得不把一些东西去掉 为了保证时间或美观性等等。 |
as a result:结果; aesthetics:n.美学;美的哲学;
|
And so while planning is important, so is flexibility . |
所以计划很重要,灵活性也同样重要。 |
flexibility:n.灵活性;弹性;适应性;
|
These are all things that ended up not making it into the final machine. |
这些都是 没有入选最终成品的部分。 |
So also, put reliable stuff last, the stuff that's going to run every time. |
另外,要把可靠的部分放在最后, 也就是每次都能顺利运行的部分。 |
reliable:adj.可信赖的;可依靠的;真实可信的;可靠的;
|
Again, small to large is relevant here. |
这就与小件到大件的安排有关了。 |
relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
|
The little Lego car in the beginning of the video references the big, real car near the end of the video. |
在视频开头的小乐高玩具车 与视频结尾时 那辆大的真车相比, |
Lego:n.乐高积木(商标名); references:n.提到; v.查阅; (reference的第三人称单数和复数)
|
The big, real car works every time; there's no problem about it. |
大的真车每次运行都成功;没有任何问题。 |
The little one had a tendency to try to run off the track and that's a problem. |
但是,那架小车就很容易从轨道上溜出来, 这就成问题了。 |
tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; off the track:出轨;误入歧途;离题;
|
But you don't want to have to reset the whole machine because the Lego car at the end doesn't work, right. |
但是你肯定不愿意因为把小车子放在最后出了岔子 而重置整台机器。 |
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版;
|
So you put that up front so that, if it fails, at least you know you don't have to reset the whole thing. |
所以你才把它放在最前面,即使它出错了, 至少你知道 你不需要全部返工。 |
Life can be messy. |
生活可能会 乱成一团。 |
There were incredibly difficult moments in the building of this thing. |
在建造这套机器的过程中,我们碰到过极其困难的时候。 |
Months were spent in this tiny, cold warehouse. |
我们在这间又小又冷的工房里花了几个月的时间。 |
And the wonderful elation that we had when we finally completed it. |
而最后我们兴高采烈地庆祝 圆满完成任务。 |
elation:n.兴高采烈,得意洋洋; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
So it's important to remember that whether it's good or it's bad, "This Too Shall Pass." |
所以,重要的是要记住,不管事情是好是坏, “一切都会过去”。 |
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And now to introduce their music video, we have OK Go. |
下面请欣赏 他们的音乐视频, 我们有请Ok Go。 |
OK Go: An introduction. Hello TEDxUSC. |
OK Go: 自我介绍。TEDxUSC你们好。 |
We are OK Go. |
我们是OK Go。 |
What are we doing? Oh, just hanging out with our Grammy . What what! |
我们在做什么?哦,在把弄我们的格莱美奖杯呢。怎么样,怎么样。 |
Grammy:n.留声机(等于gramophone);(外)祖母;老太太(等于grandmother);
|
It think we can do better than this. Hello TEDxUSC. |
我觉得我们能做得更好。TEDxUSC你们好。 |
We are OK Go. Have you read the "Natural Curiosity Cabinet ?" |
我们是OK Go。你们读过《自然奇珍》吗? |
Curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; Cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的;
|
I mean, "Curiosity" -- excuse me. |
我说的是,“奇珍”--不好意思。 |
Let me start again. |
我重来一边。 |
We need some more ridiculous things besides "The Cabinet of Natural Curiosities ." |
除了《自然奇珍》之外,我们需要一些更荒唐的东西。 |
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的; besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外; Curiosities:n.好奇心;求知欲;奇物;珍品;(curiosity的复数)
|
Tim's sundial hat. |
蒂姆的日晷帽。 |
sundial:n.日晷,日规;羽扇豆(产于美国东部);
|
Have you seen the new work they've done to the Waltz Towers? |
你们见过新建的瓦尔特塔吗? |
Waltz:v.跳华尔兹舞; adj.圆舞曲的; n.华尔兹舞;
|
Sorry, start again. |
对不起,重来。 |
(Barking) |
(狗叫声) |
Dogs. |
狗来了。 |
Hello, TEDxUSC. We are OK Go, and this our new video, "This Too Shall Pass." |
TEDxUSC,你们好。我们是OK Go, 这是我们新的音乐视频,“一切都会过去”。 |
[unclear] |
[不清楚] |
Kay, we can still do one better I think, yeah. |
凯伊,我觉得我们还能做得更好,对吧。 |
That one's pretty good. It's getting better. |
刚才那段还不错。有进步。 |
(Music) |
(音乐响起) |
? You know you can't keep letting it get you down ? |
?你知道你不该一直垂头丧气? |
? And you can't keep dragging that dead weight around ? |
?你不该总背负着沉重的累赘? |
? If there ain't all that much to lug around ? |
?如果没有什么让你踌躇不前? |
lug:n.支托;接线片;耳状物;v.用力拉或拖;
|
? Better run like hell when you hit the ground ? |
?那么跌倒之后你最好拼命奔跑? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? You can't stop these kids from dancing ? |
?你不能阻止孩子们的舞步? |
? Why would you want to? ? |
?为什么要这样做呢? |
? Especially when you're already getting yours ? |
?况且你已经得到了你应得的? |
Especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
? Cuz if your mind don't move and your knees don't bend ? |
?如果你思想保守,不肯屈服? |
? Well don't go blaming the kids again ? |
?就别再责怪孩子? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? Let it go ? |
?都忘了吧? |
? This too shall pass ? |
?一切都会过去? |
? Let it go ? |
?都忘了吧? |
? This too shall pass ? |
?一切都会过去? |
? You know you can't keep letting it get you down ? |
?你知道你不该一直垂头丧气? |
? No, you can't keep letting it get you down ? |
?不,你不该一直垂头丧气? |
? Let it go ? |
?都忘了吧? |
? This too shall pass ? |
?一切都会过去? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
? When the morning comes ? |
?当清晨来临时? |
(Cheering) |
(热烈欢呼) |