返回首页

AdamAlter_2017-_为什么萤幕让我们变得比较不快乐_

So, a few years ago I heard an interesting rumor . 几年前,我听到了一个有趣的谣言。
rumor:n.谣言;传闻;v.谣传;传说;
Apparently , the head of a large pet food company would go into the annual shareholder's meeting with can of dog food. 似乎是,有一家大型 宠物食品公司的经理 带着一罐狗食去参加 年度股东大会。
Apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的;
And he would eat the can of dog food. 然后他吃掉那罐狗食。
And this was his way of convincing them that if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for their pets. 这是他以此说服股东, 如果这狗食对他而言够好, 那对他们的宠物一定也够好。
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
This strategy is now known as "dogfooding," 这个策略现在被称为 「使用自家产品」,(吃狗食)
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
and it's a common strategy in the business world. 是商業界常用的策略。
It doesn't mean everyone goes in and eats dog food, but businesspeople will use their own products to demonstrate that they feel -- that they're confident in them. 这策略不表示每个人 都得要试吃狗食, 而是商人要使用他们自己的产品, 来展现他们对于该产品 有足够的信心。
businesspeople:商人; demonstrate:vt.证明;展示;论证;vi.示威; confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
Now, this is a widespread practice, but I think what's really interesting is when you find exceptions to this rule,when you find cases of businesses or people in businesses who don't use their own products. 现在,这是一个十分普遍的做法, 但是我认为真正有趣的 是找到这个规则的例外, 就是当你找到企業或企業中的人 不使用自家产品的案例。
widespread:adj.普遍的,广泛的;分布广的;
Turns out there's one industry where this happens in a common way, in a pretty regular way, and that is the screen-based tech industry. 结果是有一个产業经常有这种现象, 且发生频率很高。 那就是以萤幕为基础的科技产業。
So, in 2010, Steve Jobs, when he was releasing the iPad, described the iPad as a device that was " extraordinary ." 当史帝夫·贾伯斯 在 2010 年发表 iPad 时, 他将 iPad 描述是 一个「超凡」的装置。
releasing:n.释放;松释动作;脱扣释放;v.释放;排放;(release的现在分词); described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) device:n.装置;策略;图案; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
'"The best browsing experience you've ever had; way better than a laptop , way better than a smartphone . 「你不曾拥有过的最佳浏览体验; 远胜过笔记型电脑, 远胜过智慧型手机。
browsing:v.随便看看;浏览;翻阅;浏览信息;(browse的现在分词) laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑; smartphone:n.智能手机;
It's an incredible experience." 它是一种不可思议的经验。」
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
A couple of months later, he was approached by a journalist from the New York Times, and they had a long phone call. 几个月后,一位 纽约时报的记者采访了他, 他们在电话上谈了很久。 他们在电话上谈了很久。
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式) journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
At the end of the call, the journalist threw in a question that seemed like a sort of softball . 在通话结束前, 那位记者问了一个问题, 感觉不痛不痒问题。
softball:n.垒球运动;垒球;
He said to him, "Your kids must love the iPad." 记者对他说:「你的孩子 肯定非常喜爱 iPad。」
There's an obvious answer to this, but what Jobs said really staggered the journalist. 这个问题的答案不言可喻, 但是贾伯斯的回答却让记者很吃惊。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; staggered:adj.错列的;吃惊的;v.蹒跚(stagger的过去式和过去分词);
He was very surprised, because he said, "They haven't used it. 记者非常讶异, 因为贾伯斯说: 「他们还没用过 iPad。
We limit how much technology our kids use at home." 我们限制孩子在家中 使用电子产品。」
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
This is a very common thing in the tech world. 在科技世界中,这非常常见。
In fact, there's a school quite near Silicon Valley called the Waldorf School of the Peninsula , and they don't introduce screens until the eighth grade. 事实上,离硅谷很近的一所学校 叫做半岛华德福学校。 他们不会让学生 在八年级以前接触到萤幕。
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地); Peninsula:n.半岛;
What's really interesting about the school is that 75 percent of the kids who go there have parents who are high-level Silicon Valley tech execs . 这间学校真正有趣的一点是, 75% 学生的家长 是硅谷的高阶技术主管。
high-level:adj.高级的;高阶层的;在高空的; execs:执行者;
So when I heard about this, I thought it was interesting and surprising, and it pushed me to consider what screens were doing to me and to my family and the people I loved, and to people at large. 所以当我听到这件事, 我觉得它非常有趣也令人惊讶。 它促使我开始思考萤幕 对我、我的家人、我爱的人、 以及对所有人有什么影响。
So for the last five years, as a professor of business and psychology , 所以,在过去五年, 身为一个商業和心理学教授,
psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
I've been studying the effect of screens on our lives. 我一直在研究萤幕对 我们的生活所产生的影响。
And I want to start by just focusing on how much time they take from us, and then we can talk about what that time looks like. 我想先谈谈 我们在萤幕上花多少时间, 接着我们可以再谈谈 那些时间的状况。
What I'm showing you here is the average 24-hour workday at three different points in history: 2007 -- 10 years ago -- 2015 and then data that I collected, actually, only last week. 我在这里呈现给各位看的 是三个不同时间点的 一般 24 小时工作日: 2007 年,十年前── 2015 年, 以及我上周才收集的目前资料。
And a lot of things haven't changed all that much. 很多东西的变化不大。
We sleep roughly seven-and-a-half to eight hours a day; some people say that's declined slightly , but it hasn't changed much. 我们每天大约睡 7.5 到 8 小时; 有些人说这数字稍微下降了, 但变化不大。
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; declined:v.减少;下降;衰弱;婉言拒绝;(decline的过去分词和过去式) slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
We work eight-and-a-half to nine hours a day. 我们每天工作 8.5 到 9 小时。
We engage in survival activities -- these are things like eating and bathing and looking after kids -- about three hours a day. 我们从事的维生活动── 像吃饭、洗澡、照顾小孩── 每天大约 3 小时。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; bathing:n.游泳,畅游;v.给…洗澡;洗澡;(bath的现在分词)
That leaves this white space. 剩下的是白色的这段,
That's our personal time. 那是我们的个人时间。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
That space is incredibly important to us. 这段时间对我们来说极重要。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
That's the space where we do things that make us individuals . 我们用这段时间做一些 使我们独特的事。
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
That's where hobbies happen, where we have close relationships, where we really think about our lives, where we get creative , where we zoom back and try to work out whether our lives have been meaningful . 我们用这段时间 进行嗜好,建立亲密关系, 真正思考我们的人生,产生创意, 思考反省 我们的人生是否过得有意义。
creative:adj.创造性的; meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
We get some of that from work as well, but when people look back on their lives and wonder what their lives have been like at the end of their lives, you look at the last things they say -- they are talking about those moments that happen in that white personal space. 我们在工作中有时也做这些, 但当人们在人生的尽头, 回顾他们的人生, 好奇他们的人生是怎样的, 他们最后说什么──
So it's sacred; it's important to us. 所以那是很神圣的, 对我们很重要的。
Now, what I'm going to do is show you how much of that space is taken up by screens across time. 我接下来要给各位看的, 在历史的不同时间点, 有多少个人时间被萤幕给占据。
In 2007, this much. 在 2007 年, 有这么多。
That was the year that Apple introduced the first iPhone. 这是苹果推出第一支 iPhone 的那一年。
Eight years later, this much. 8 年后, 这么多。
Now, this much. 现在,这么多。
That's how much time we spend of that free time in front of our screens. 那就是我们在萤幕前面 所花的闲瑕时间。
This yellow area, this thin sliver, is where the magic happens. 很狭窄的这个黄色区段, 就是魔力发生的时候。
That's where your humanity lives. 你的人性存在于这里。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
And right now, it's in a very small box. 现在,这个区块非常小。
So what do we do about this? 所以我们要如何处理这状况?
Well, the first question is: 第一个问题是:
What does that red space look like? 红色区段是怎样的?
Now, of course, screens are miraculous in a lot of ways. 当然,现在的萤幕 在许多方面都是很神奇的。
miraculous:adj.不可思议的,奇迹的;
I live in New York, a lot of my family lives in Australia, and I have a one-year-old son. 我住在纽约, 我有许多家人住在澳洲, 我有一个一岁的儿子,
The way I've been able to introduce them to him is with screens. 我透过萤幕把家人介绍给儿子。
I couldn't have done that 15 or 20 years ago in quite the same way. 15 或 20 年前我就无法如此做。
So there's a lot of good that comes from them. 所以萤幕的确带来很多好处。
One thing you can do is ask yourself: 你可以做的一件事是,问问自己:
What goes on during that time? 在那段时间发生了什么事?
How enriching are the apps that we're using? 我们在使用的应用程式有多充实?
enriching:v.使丰富,充实;使饱含(某物);使富有;(enrich的现在分词)
And some are enriching. 有些是很充实。
If you stop people while they're using them and say, "Tell us how you feel right now," 如果你在别人使用应用程式时 阻止他们,并说: 「告诉我们,你现在感觉如何?」
they say they feel pretty good about these apps -- those that focus on relaxation , exercise, weather, reading, education and health. 他们说他们对于 这些应用程式感觉很好── 这些主要是放鬆、 运动、天气、阅读、 教育、及健康的应用程式。
relaxation:n.放松;缓和;消遣;
They spend an average of nine minutes a day on each of these. 对上述每一项,他们平均 一天会花上 9 分钟。
These apps make them much less happy. 这些应用程式 则让他们觉得比较不快乐。
About half the people, when you interrupt them and say, "How do you feel?" 当你打断人们并问: 「你感觉如何?」
interrupt:v.中断;打断;插嘴;妨碍;n.中断;
say they don't feel good about using them. 有一半的人会说他们对于使用 这些应用程式的感觉并不好。
What's interesting about these -- dating, social networking, gaming, entertainment, news, web browsing -- people spend 27 minutes a day on each of these. 有趣的是,这些是── 约会、社交网路、游戏、 娱乐、新闻、 网路浏览的应用程式── 这些每一项就会占用到人们 一天中的 27 分钟。
We're spending three times longer on the apps that don't make us happy. 我们花 3 倍长的时间在 不能让我们快乐的应用程式上。
That doesn't seem very wise. 这看起来不是很明智。
One of the reasons we spend so much time on these apps that make us unhappy is they rob us of stopping cues . 我们花这么多时间 在这些让我们不快乐的 应用程式的原因之一是, 这些应用程式夺走了 我们的停止提示。
cues:n.开端,线索;提示,关键;球杆;诱因(cue的复数形式);
Stopping cues were everywhere in the 20th century. 在二十世纪,停止提示还处处可见。
They were baked into everything we did. 我们所做的每件事当中都有。
baked:v.烘烤;焙;烤硬;灼热;(bake的过去分词和过去式)
A stopping cue is basically a signal that it's time to move on, to do something new, to do something different. 基本上,停止提示就是一个信号, 说:该是继续前进的时候了, 去做点新鲜事、不同的事。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
And -- think about newspapers; eventually you get to the end, you fold the newspaper away, you put it aside. 想想看报纸,当你看到最后, 你会把报纸折起来,放到一旁。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; fold:v.折叠;包;可叠平(以便贮存或携带);裹;n.褶;褶层;折叠部分;褶痕;
The same with magazines, books -- you get to the end of a chapter, prompts you to consider whether you want to continue. 杂志、书籍都一样: 你看到一个章节的结束, 它会提示性地问你是否要继续。
prompts:n.[计]提示;提示性语言(prompt的复数形式);
You watched a show on TV, eventually the show would end, and then you'd have a week until the next one came. 看电视上的节目,节目终究会结束, 你得要再等一周才会有下一集。
There were stopping cues everywhere. 停止提示在过去处处可见。
But the way we consume media today is such that there are no stopping cues. 但我们现今消费媒体的方式 就像是完全没有停止提示一样。
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
The news feed just rolls on, and everything's bottomless : Twitter, Facebook, Instagram , email, text messaging, the news. 新闻馈给滔滔不绝, 什么都是无限的: 推特、脸书、Instagram、 电子邮件、文字讯息、新闻。
bottomless:adj.无底的;深不可测的;难解的;取之不尽的; Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
And when you do check all sorts of other sources , you can just keep going on and on and on. 当你真的去查看各种其他来源, 你可以无止境地持续下去。
sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数) on and on:继续不停地;
So, we can get a cue about what to do from Western Europe, where they seem to have a number of pretty good ideas in the workplace . 关于要怎么做,我们可以 从西欧得到一个提示, 在西欧的工作场所 似乎有许多很好的点子。
workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
Here's one example. This is a Dutch design firm. 这里有一个例子。 这是一间荷兰的设计公司。
Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地;
And what they've done is rigged the desks to the ceiling. 他们的做法是把桌子 用绳锁吊在天花板上,
rigged:v.操纵,控制;(给船只)装帆;(秘密地)安装,装配;(rig的过去分词和过去式)
And at 6pm every day, it doesn't matter who you're emailing or what you're doing, the desks rise to the ceiling. 每天下午六点, 不论你在写电子邮件给谁、 不论你在做什么事, 桌子就会升到天花板上。
emailing:n.电子信函;vt.给…发电子邮件;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Four days a week, the space turns into a yoga studio , one day a week, into a dance club. 一周中有四天, 这个空间会转为瑜伽教室; 一周中有一天,转为跳舞俱乐部。
yoga:n.瑜珈(意为"结合",指修行);瑜珈术;联想可360°翻转的平板电脑; studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂;
It's really up to you which ones you stick around for . 由你决定你哪天想留下来。
stick around for:留恋;
But this is a great stopping rule, because it means at the end of the day, everything stops, there's no way to work. 这是一个很棒的停止规则, 因为它意味着,在一天结束时, 一切要停下来,绝对不做工作。
At Daimler, the German car company, they've got another great strategy. 德国汽车公司戴姆勒 有另一个很棒的策略。
When you go on vacation, instead of saying, "This person's on vacation, they'll get back to you eventually," 当你去渡假时, 他们不是说:「这个人去渡假了, 他们最终会回覆您的。」
they say, "This person's on vacation, so we've deleted your email. 而是说:「这个人去渡假了, 所以我们已删除了你的电子邮件。
This person will never see the email you just sent." 这个人永远不会看到 你刚刚寄来的电子邮件。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"You can email back in a couple of weeks, or you can email someone else." 「您可以几周后再来信, 或是您也可以写给别人。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so -- 所以──
(Applause) (掌声)
You can imagine what that's like. 你可以想像那样的状况,
You go on vacation, and you're actually on vacation. 你去渡假,而你也真正在渡假。
The people who work at this company feel that they actually get a break from work. 在这间公司工作的人会觉得 他们真的能从工作中休息一下。
But of course, that doesn't tell us much about what we should do at home in our own lives, so I want to make some suggestions. 但,当然,这并没有告诉我们, 对于我们自己在家时的人生, 要如何做是好, 所以我想做些建议。
It's easy to say, between 5 and 6pm, I'm going to not use my phone. 说我在下午五点到六点间 不会用手机是很容易的,
The problem is, 5 and 6pm looks different on different days. 问题是,在不一样的日子里, 五点和六点看起来也不太一样。
I think a far better strategy is to say, 我认为,更好的策略是说,
I do certain things every day, there are certain occasions that happen every day, like eating dinner. 我每天会做某些事情, 有些场合是每天都会发生的, 比如吃晚餐。
Sometimes I'll be alone, sometimes with other people, sometimes in a restaurant, sometimes at home, but the rule that I've adopted is: I will never use my phone at the table. 有时,我会独自一人, 有时,我会和别人在一起, 有时,我会在餐馆中, 有时,我会在家, 但我采用的规则是这条: 我绝对不会在餐桌上用手机。
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
It's far away, as far away as possible. 它离我很远, 尽可以越远越好。
Because we're really bad at resisting temptation . 因为我们真的很不擅长拒绝诱惑。
resisting:adj.稳定的;坚固的;v.抵抗;忍住(resist的现在分词); temptation:n.诱惑;引诱;煽诱人的事物;
But when you have a stopping cue that, every time dinner begins, my phone goes far away, you avoid temptation all together. 但当你有了这条停止提示: 你就能够避免所有诱惑。 你就能够避免所有诱惑。
At first, it hurts. 一开始,会很痛。
I had massive FOMO. 我有严重的错失恐惧症。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I struggled . 我会挣扎。
struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
But what happens is, you get used to it. 但你会渐渐习惯它。
get used to:开始习惯于
You overcome the withdrawal the same way you would from a drug, and what happens is, life becomes more colorful, richer, more interesting -- you have better conversations. 你克服退缩的方式和克服毒品一样, 结果会是,人生 变得更多采多姿、更丰富、 更有意思── 你会有更好的对话,
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; withdrawal:n.撤退,收回;提款;取消;退股;
You really connect with the people who are there with you. 你真正与在你身边的人连结。
I think it's a fantastic strategy, and we know it works, because when people do this -- and I've tracked a lot of people who have tried this -- it expands . 我认为这是个极棒的策略, 我们知道它可行, 因为当人们这么做── 我追纵过很多尝试这么做的人── 它会扩展。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 tracked:v.跟踪;追踪;(track的过去分词和过去式) expands:v.展开; (expand的第三人称单数)
They feel so good about it, they start doing it for the first hour of the day in the morning. 他们对此感觉十分良好, 让他们开始在早晨起床后的 第一个小时就这么做。
They start putting their phones on airplane mode on the weekend. 他们开始在周末 将手机的飞安模式开启。
airplane:n.飞机;
That way, your phone remains a camera, but it's no longer a phone. 这么做,手机会有照相功能, 但就不再是手机了。
It's a really powerful idea, and we know people feel much better about their lives when they do this. 这是个效力强大的点子, 我们知道当人们这么做时, 他们对自己人生的感觉就更好了。
So what's the take home here? 所以我们从中学到什么重点?
Screens are miraculous; I've already said that, and I feel that it's true. 萤幕很不简单,我已经说过这点了, 且我认为真的是如此。
But the way we use them is a lot like driving down a really fast, long road, and you're in a car where the accelerator is mashed to the floor, it's kind of hard to reach the brake pedal . 但我们使用萤幕的方式, 车的油门一踩到底, 很难去踩煞车。
accelerator:n.油门;催化剂;[机]加速装置; mashed:v.捣烂,捣碎(食物);(mash的过去分词和过去式) pedal:v.踩踏板;骑车;n.踏板;脚蹬子;adj.脚的;脚踏的;
You've got a choice. 你有个选择,
You can either glide by, past, say, the beautiful ocean scenes and take snaps out the window -- that's the easy thing to do -- or you can go out of your way to move the car to the side of the road, to push that brake pedal, to get out, take off your shoes and socks, take a couple of steps onto the sand, feel what the sand feels like under your feet, walk to the ocean, and let the ocean lap at your ankles. 比如你可以选择 从美丽的海景旁边滑过, 从窗户拍照──那很容易办到── 或是你可以选择特别把车移到路边, 踩下煞车, 走下车, 脱掉你的鞋子和袜子, 在沙子上走几步, 感受一下脚下沙子的感觉, 走向海洋, 让海洋围绕着你的脚踝。
glide:n.滑翔;滑行;滑移;滑音;vt.滑翔;滑行;悄悄地走;消逝;vi.使滑行;使滑动; snaps:n.纽扣; v.猛咬;
Your life will be richer and more meaningful because you breathe in that experience, and because you've left your phone in the car. 你的人生会更丰富、更有意义, 因为你呼吸着那经验, 也因为你把手机留在车上。
Thank you. 谢谢各位。
(Applause) (掌声)