|
|
AJJacobs_2018S-_我踏上了一段旅程,去感谢让我早上能喝到一杯咖啡的人_
|
So, I don't like to boast , but I am very good at finding things to be annoyed about. |
我不喜歡自誇, 但我真的非常擅長找到惱人之處。 |
boast:v.自夸;自吹自擂;n.夸耀;夸口; annoyed:adj.恼怒;生气;烦恼;v.使恼怒;使生气;打扰;骚扰(annoy的过去分词和过去式)
|
It is a real specialty of mine. |
這是我的一項專長。 |
specialty:n.专业,专长;特产;特性;招牌菜;adj.特色的;专门的;独立的;
|
I can hear 100 compliments and a single insult , and what do I remember? |
當我聽見一百個讚美和一個侮辱時, 我會記得什麼? |
compliments:n.赞扬;问候;祝贺;v.赞美;钦佩;(compliment的第三人称单数和复数) insult:v.侮辱;辱骂;损害;n.侮辱;凌辱;无礼;
|
The insult. |
那個侮辱。 |
And according to the research, I'm not alone. |
研究指出,我並非獨一無二。 |
according to:根据,据说;
|
Unfortunately , the human brain is wired to focus on the negative . |
不幸的是,人類的大腦天生 就是會專注在負面的地方。 |
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
|
Now, this might have been helpful when we were cave people, trying to avoid predators , but now it's a terrible way to go through life. |
當我們還是穴居人時, 這點可能還算有幫助, 讓我們避開要捕食我們的動物。 但在現代,這是一種 很糟糕的生活方式。 |
predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
|
It is a real major component of anxiety and depression . |
它是造成焦慮和憂鬱的 一個主要因素。 |
component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
|
So how can we fight the brain's negative bias ? |
所以,我們要如何 對抗大腦的負面偏見呢? |
bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的;
|
According to a lot of research, one of the best weapons is gratitude . |
根據很多研究, 最好的方法之一就是感激。 |
gratitude:n.感谢(的心情);感激;
|
So knowing this, I started a new tradition in our house a couple of years ago. |
知道這一點之後,從幾年前開始, 我在我們家建立了一項新的傳統。 |
Before a meal with my wife and kids, |
在我和太太與孩子們吃飯前, |
I would say a prayer of thanksgiving. |
我會先說一段感恩的禱告。 |
Prayer is not quite the right word. |
禱告不算是正確的用詞。 |
I'm agnostic , so instead of thanking God, |
我是不可知論者, 所以我不是感謝上帝, |
agnostic:n.不可知论者;adj.不可知论的;
|
I would thank some of the people who helped make my food a reality. |
我是感謝一些讓我能吃到食物的人。 |
I'd say, "I'd like to thank the farmer who grew these tomatoes, and the trucker who drove these tomatoes to the store, and the cashier who rang these tomatoes up." |
我會說:「我想要感謝 種植這些蕃茄的農夫、 把這些蕃茄載到店裡的卡車司機, 以及為這些蕃茄結帳的收銀員。」 |
trucker:n.卡车司机;从事货车运输业者; cashier:n.出纳员;v.开除…的军籍;
|
And I thought it was going pretty well, this tradition. |
我以為這個傳統一直運行得挺好的。 |
Then one day, my 10-year-old son said, "You know, Dad, those people aren't in our apartment. |
接著,有一天,我十歲的兒子問: 「爸,你知道嗎,那些人 並不在我們的公寓裡。 |
They can't hear you. |
他們聽不見你說的。 |
If you really cared, you would go and thank them in person." |
如果你真的在乎, 你就會親自去謝謝他們。」 |
And I thought, "Hmm. That's an interesting idea." |
我心想:「嗯, 那是個很有趣的想法。」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
Now I'm a writer, and for my books I like to go on adventures. |
我是個作家, |
Go on quests . |
去探索。 |
quests:n.过关模式(游戏用语); v.探索;
|
So I decided I'm going to take my son up on his challenge. |
所以,我決定接受我兒子的挑戰。 |
It seemed simple enough. |
它似乎相當簡單。 |
And to make it even simpler, |
為了讓它更簡單, |
I decided to focus on just one item . |
我決定只把焦點放在一項東西上。 |
item:n.条款,项目;一则;一件商品(或物品);adj.又,同上;
|
An item I can't live without: my morning cup of coffee. |
我們生活不可缺的東西: 我早晨的一杯咖啡。 |
Well, it turned out to be not so simple at all. |
結果發現,它並沒有那麼簡單。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
This quest took me months. |
這項探索花了我數個月。 |
It took me around the world. |
它帶我走遍全世界。 |
Because I discovered that my coffee would not be possible without hundreds of people I take for granted . |
因為我發現,若沒有數百個 被我視為理所當然的人, 就不會有我的咖啡。 |
take for granted:认为…理所当然;
|
So I would thank the trucker who drove the coffee beans to the coffee shop . |
所以我要感謝開車 把咖啡豆載到咖啡店的卡車司機。 |
coffee shop:na.咖啡店;(一般的)小餐馆;
|
But he couldn't have done his job without the road. |
但若沒有道路,他就做不到這件事。 |
So I would thank the people who paved the road. |
所以我要感謝鋪路的人。 |
paved:v.(用砖石)铺(地);(pave的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
And then I would thank the people who made the asphalt for the pavement . |
接著,我要感謝做瀝青鋪路的人。 |
asphalt:n.沥青;柏油;v.以沥青铺;adj.用柏油铺成的; pavement:n.路面;人行道;石板铺的地面;
|
And I came to realize that my coffee, like so much else in the world, requires the combined work of a shocking number of people from all walks of life. |
我漸漸了解,我的咖啡, 和世界上許多東西一樣, 需要結合來自各行各業 非常多人的努力才能實現。 |
Architects , biologists , designers, miners , goat herds , you name it. |
建築師、生物學家、設計師、礦工、牧羊人,任何你能想到的。 |
Architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数); biologists:n.生物学家(biologist的复数); miners:n.[矿业]矿工(miner的复数);煤矿工人; herds:n.畜群;大量(herd的复数);人群;v.聚在一起;结交(herd的三单形式);
|
I decided to call my project "Thanks a Thousand." |
我決定把我的計畫命名為 「千分感謝」。 |
Because I ended up thanking over a thousand people. |
因為我最後感謝了超過一千人。 |
And it was overwhelming , but it was also wonderful. |
這計畫真的是讓人難以招架, |
overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词)
|
Because it allowed me to focus on the hundreds of things that go right every day, as opposed to the three or four that go wrong. |
因為它讓我能把焦點放在 每一天中順利進行的數百件事, 而不是出錯的那三、四件事。 |
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
And it reminded me of the astounding interconnectedness or our world. |
且它提醒了我, |
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) astounding:adj.令人震惊的;使大吃一惊的;v.使震惊;使大惊;(astound的现在分词) interconnectedness:n.互联性;
|
I learned dozens of lessons during this project, but let me just focus on five today. |
在這個計畫中,我學到了數十課, 但,今天讓我把焦點 放在其中五課就好。 |
The first is: look up. |
第一課:抬頭看。 |
I started my trail of gratitude by thanking the barista at my local coffee shop, |
我的感激之路始於 感謝我們當地咖啡店裡的咖啡師, |
trail:v.(被)拖,拉;疲惫地走,磨蹭;落后,失败;n.痕迹;踪迹;小路;路线; barista:n.咖啡师;咖啡吧员;
|
Joe Coffee in New York. |
我去的店是紐約的喬咖啡。 |
Her name is Chung, and Chung is one of the most upbeat people you will ever meet. |
她的名字叫鍾, 鍾非常樂觀。 |
upbeat:n.兴旺;上升;弱拍;adj.乐观的;上升的;
|
Big smiler , enthusiastic hugger . |
她總是帶著大大的微笑, 熱情地擁抱人。 |
smiler:n.微笑者; enthusiastic:adj.热情的;热心的;狂热的; hugger:n.劈理;极端派;拥抱者;
|
But even for Chung, being a barista is hard. |
但就算是鍾這樣的人, 做為咖啡師也很不容易。 |
And that's because you are encountering people in a very dangerous state. |
那是因為你會遇到 處於非常危險狀態的人。 |
encountering:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
You know what it is -- precaffeination. |
你們知道的——急需咖啡因的人。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
So, Chung has had people yell at her until she cried, including a nine-year-old girl, who didn't like the whipped cream design that Chung did on her hot chocolate . |
所以,鍾曾經遇過有人對她大吼, 包括一位九歲女孩, 她不喜歡鍾在她的熱巧克力上 做的鮮奶油拉花。 |
whipped:v.鞭打;鞭策;除去,抽出(whip的过去分词和过去式) hot chocolate:n.巧克力热饮;一杯巧克力热饮;
|
So I thanked Chung, and she thanked me for thanking her. |
所以,我向鍾表示感謝, 她謝謝我謝謝她。 |
I cut it off there. |
我就在這裡畫上句點。 |
I didn't want to go into an infinite thanking loop . |
我不想我們互相謝得沒完沒了。 |
infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; loop:n.循环;回路;环路;圈;v.使成环;使绕成圈;成环形移动;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
But Chung said that the hardest part is when people don't even treat her like a human being. |
但鍾說,最辛苦的部分是, 大家不把她當作人來看待。 |
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
|
They treat her like a vending machine . |
他們把她當成販賣機來看待。 |
vending machine:n.(出售香烟,饮料等的)投币式自动售货机;
|
So, they'll hand her their credit card without even looking up from their phone. |
他們把信用卡遞給她, 但視線都沒離開過他們的手機。 |
credit card:n.[经]信用卡;
|
And while she's saying this, I'm realizing I've done that. |
當她這麼說的時候, 我發現我也做過這種事。 |
I've been that a-hole . |
我也是那種混蛋。 |
a-hole:屁眼的缩写;混帐;
|
And at that moment, I pledged : when dealing with people, I'm going to take those two seconds and look at them, make eye contact . |
那一刻,我立下誓言: 在和人打交道時, 我要花兩秒鐘時間, 看著他們,做眼神交會。 |
pledged:v.保证给予(或做);正式承诺;抵押(pledge的过去分词和过去式) contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
|
Because it reminds you, you're dealing with a human being who has family and aspirations and embarrassing high school memories. |
因為那能提醒你, 你是在和一個人打交道, 他有家人,有抱負, 也有尷尬的高中時期回憶。 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数) aspirations:n.愿望; embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词)
|
And that little moment of connection is so important to both people's humanity and happiness. |
而那短暫的連結時刻, 對於人的人性以及快樂 都是非常重要的。 |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
Alright, second lesson was: smell the roses. And the dirt . And the fertilizer . |
好,第二課是: 聞聞花香。還有泥土。還有肥料。 |
dirt:n.污垢;尘土;下流话; fertilizer:n.[肥料]肥料;受精媒介物;促进发展者;
|
After Chung, I thanked this man. |
在鍾之後,我感謝了這個人。 |
This is Ed Kaufmann. |
他是艾德考夫曼。 |
And Ed is the one who chooses which coffee they serve at my local coffee shop. |
艾德在我當地的那間咖啡店裡, 負責選擇要用哪種咖啡豆。 |
He goes around the world, to South America , to Africa, finding the best coffee beans. |
他去世界各地,到南美,到非洲, 去找最好的咖啡豆。 |
South America:n.南美洲;
|
So I thanked Ed. |
所以我感謝了艾德, |
And in return, Ed showed me how to taste coffee like a pro . |
而艾德則教了我 如何像專家一樣品嚐咖啡。 |
pro:adv.赞成地;n.赞成者;赞成的意见;prep.赞成;
|
And it is quite a ritual . |
那是個很了不起的儀式。 |
ritual:n.仪式;惯例;礼制;adj.仪式的;例行的;礼节性的;
|
You take your spoon and you dip it in the coffee and then you take a big, loud slurp . |
你要拿起湯匙,把它浸入咖啡中, 接著你要喝一大口, 且要發出很大的啜飲聲。 |
dip:n.游一游; v.蘸; slurp:vt.出声地吃或喝;vi.出声地吃或喝;n.吃的声音;啜食声;
|
Almost cartoonishly loud. |
幾乎就像卡通裡的一樣大聲。 |
This is because you want to spray the coffee all over your mouth. |
這是因為你想要讓咖啡 噴灑在你整個嘴巴裡。 |
spray:n.喷雾; v.喷;
|
You have taste buds in the side of your cheeks, in the roof of your mouth, you've got to get them all. |
在你的臉頰內側都有味蕾, 嘴巴的頂上也有, 你要咖啡觸及它們全部。 |
buds:[植]芽;蓓蕾;未成熟的人(bud的复数);
|
So Ed would do this and he would -- his face would light up and he would say, "This coffee tastes of honey-crisp apple and notes of soil and maple syrup ." |
所以,艾德會這麼做, 而且他會—— 他的臉會亮起來,然後說: 「這種咖啡嚐起來有蜜脆蘋果的味道, 以及土壤以及楓糖漿。」 |
maple syrup:n.槭树汁;槭糖浆;
|
And I would take a sip and I'd say, "I'm picking up coffee. |
我會啜飲一小口,說: 「我嚐到咖啡。 |
sip:v.小口喝;n.一小口(饮料);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
It tastes to me like coffee." |
我覺得它嚐起來就像咖啡。」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
But inspired by Ed, I decided to really let the coffee sit on my tongue for five seconds -- we're all busy, but I could spare five seconds, and really think about the texture and the acidity and the sweetness . |
但,受到艾德的鼓舞,我決定真的 讓咖啡在我的舌頭上 停留五秒鐘—— 雖然我們都很忙, 但我能騰出五秒鐘, 真的去思考它的質地、酸度、甜度。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) spare:v.节约,吝惜;饶恕;分出,分让;adj.多余的;瘦的;少量的;n.剩余;备用零件; texture:n.质地;纹理;结构;本质,实质; acidity:n.酸度;酸性;酸过多;胃酸过多; sweetness:n.美妙;芳香;可爱;
|
And I started to do it with other foods. |
我開始在吃其他食物時也這麼做。 |
And this idea of savoring is so important to gratitude. |
這個品嚐的做法, 對於感激是非常重要的。 |
savoring:n.尽情享受;仔细品味;v.尝到(savor的ing形式);
|
Psychologists talk about how gratitude is about taking a moment and holding on to it as long as possible. |
心理學家說,感激就是 抓住那個瞬間, 盡可能留住它久一點。 |
Psychologists:n.[心理]心理学家(psychologist的复数形式); as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
|
And slowing down time. |
讓時間慢下來。 |
So that life doesn't go by in one big blur , as it often does. |
這樣,人生才不會像平常那樣, 模模糊糊地就過去了。 |
blur:v.涂污;使…模糊不清;使暗淡;玷污;n.污迹;模糊不清的事物;
|
Number three is: find the hidden masterpieces all around you. |
第三課: 在你身邊找找隱藏的傑作。 |
masterpieces:n.杰作;绝无仅有的人;
|
Now, one of my favorite conversations during this year was with the guy who invented my coffee cup lid . |
今年我最喜歡的對話之一, 對象是發明了咖啡杯蓋的那個人。 |
lid:n.盖子;(容器的)盖;vt.给…盖盖子;
|
And until this point, |
在那之前, |
I had given approximately zero thought to coffee cup lids . |
我幾乎從來沒有想過咖啡杯蓋。 |
approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于; lids:n.(容器的)盖,盖子;(lid的第三人称单数和复数)
|
But I loved talking to this inventor, Doug Fleming, because he was so passionate . |
但我很喜歡和這位發明家 道格佛萊明談話, 因為他充滿了熱情。 |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
|
And the blood and sweat and tears he put into this lid, and that I had never even considered. |
他放在這個杯蓋中的血汗及眼淚, 我從來沒有想過。 |
He says a bad lid can ruin your coffee. |
他說,不好的杯蓋 可以毀掉你的咖啡。 |
ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产;
|
That it can block the aroma , which is so important to the experience. |
它會阻擋香味, 香味對於咖啡體驗來說是很重要的。 |
aroma:n.芳香;
|
So he -- he's very innovative . |
所以他——他很擅長創新。 |
innovative:adj.革新的,创新的;
|
He's like the Elon Musk of coffee lids. |
他就像是咖啡杯蓋的伊隆馬斯克。 |
Elon:n.埃伦(可溶性显影剂粉末); Musk:n.麝香;麝香鹿;麝香香味;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
So he designed this lid that's got an upside-down hexagon so you can get your nose right in there and get maximum aroma. |
他設計的這個杯蓋 有個上下顛倒的六角形, 所以你可以把你的鼻子放到那裡, |
upside-down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的; hexagon:n.六角形,六边形;adj.成六角的;成六边的; maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的;
|
And so I was delighted talking to him, and it made me realize there are hundreds of masterpieces all around us that we totally take for granted. |
我很高興能和他談話, 那經驗讓我了解到, 我們身邊就有數百件傑作, 但都被我們視為理所當然。 |
delighted:adj.高兴的; v.使高兴; (delight的过去分词和过去式)
|
Like the on-off switch on my desk lamp has a little indentation for my thumb that perfectly fits my thumb. |
就像我的桌燈的開關, |
on-off:adj.开关的;n.开关; switch on:n.接通; desk lamp:桌灯,台灯; indentation:n.压痕,[物]刻痕;凹陷;缩排;呈锯齿状; thumb:v.翻阅;以拇指拨弄;作搭车手势;笨拙地摆弄;n.拇指;
|
And when something is done well, the process behind it is largely invisible . |
當一樣事物被做得很好時, 它背後的過程大部分我們都看不到。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
|
But paying attention to it can tap into that sense of wonder and enrich our lives. |
但多去留意它, 就能發掘出來驚奇感, 讓我們的生活更充實。 |
enrich:v.充实;使丰富;使富有;使富裕;
|
Number four is: fake it till you feel it. |
第四課:先假裝, 直到你能真正感受到。 |
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
|
By the end of the project, I was just in a thanking frenzy . |
在這個計畫到達尾聲時, 我陷入一種感謝的狂熱當中。 |
frenzy:n.狂暴;狂怒;暴怒;v.使发狂;使狂怒;
|
So I was -- I would get up and spend a couple hours, |
所以我——我會起床之後 花幾個小時的時間, |
I'd write emails, send notes, make phone calls, visit people to thank them for their role in my coffee. |
寫電子郵件,發送訊息, 打電話,親自造訪, 謝謝他們在我的咖啡中 所扮演的角色。 |
And some of them, quite honestly -- not that into it. |
而當中有些人,很老實說—— 對我的計畫沒那麼有興趣。 |
They would be like, "What is this? |
他們會說:「這是幹嘛? |
Is this a pyramid scheme , what do you want, what are you selling?" |
這是老鼠會嗎? 你要幹嘛?你想推銷什麼?」 |
scheme:n.计划;方案;体系;体制;阴谋;v.密谋;图谋;想;认为;
|
But most people were surprisingly moved. |
但大部分的人都出乎意料的感動。 |
surprisingly:adv.令人惊讶地;出乎意料地
|
I remember, I called the woman who does the pest control for the warehouse where my coffee is served -- |
我記得,我打電話給這名女子, |
warehouse:n.仓库,货栈;货仓;
|
I'm sorry -- where my coffee is stored. |
對不起——我是指 儲存我的咖啡的倉庫裡。 |
And I said, "This may sound strange, but I want to thank you for keeping the bugs out of my coffee." |
我說: 「這可能聽起來很奇怪, 但我想要謝謝你 讓蟲子遠離我的咖啡。」 |
bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数)
|
And she said, "Well, that does sound strange, but you just made my day." |
她說:「嗯,聽起來的確很怪, 但你讓我十分開心。」 |
And it was like an anti-crank phone call. |
這就像是一種反騷擾電話。 |
And it didn't just affect her, it affected me. |
受到影響的不只是她,還有我。 |
Because I would wake up every morning in my default mood , which is grumpiness , but I would force myself to write a thank-you note and then another and then another. |
因為每天早上起床, 我通常情緒很不好, 但我會強迫我自己寫一張感謝字條, 然後再寫一張,再寫一張。 |
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛; grumpiness:乖戾;暴躁;坏脾气;
|
And what I found was that if you act as if you're grateful, you eventually become grateful for real. |
我發現,如果你在行為上 先假裝你很感恩, 最終,你會真的變得很感恩。 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
The power of our actions to change our mind is astounding. |
透過我們的行為來改變 我們的心的力量是很驚人的。 |
So, often we think that thought changes behavior, but behavior very often changes our thought. |
通常,我們會認為, 思想能改變行為, 但行為經常會改變我們的想法。 |
And finally , the last lesson I want to tell you about is: practice six degrees of gratitude. |
我想告訴各位的最後一課是: 練習六度感激。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
And every place, every stop on this gratitude trail would give birth to 100 other people that I could thank. |
在這條感恩之路上, 每個地方,每個停靠站, 都會產生出另外一百個 我能夠去感謝的人。 |
give birth to:产生,造成;生孩子;
|
So I went down to Colombia to thank the farmers who grow my coffee beans. |
所以我跑到哥倫比亞 |
And it was in a small mountain town, and I was driven there along these curvy , cliffside roads. |
那是一個山區小鎮, 我搭車前往, |
curvy:adj.弯曲的;曲线美的(等于curvaceous); cliffside:n.悬崖之边或面;
|
And every time we went around a hairpin turn the driver would do the sign of the cross. |
每次車開過一個髮夾彎, 駕駛就會畫一個十字。 |
hairpin:n.簪;束发夹;夹发针;
|
And I was like, "Thank you for that. |
我心想:「謝謝你這麼做。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑聲) |
But can you do that while keeping your hands on the wheel ? |
但你在這麼做的時候, 能不能把雙手放在方向盤上? |
wheel:车轮,转动
|
Because I am terrified." |
因為我好怕啊。」 |
But we made it. |
但我們到了。 |
And I met the farmers, the Guarnizo brothers. |
我見到這些農夫,葛瓦尼佐兄弟。 |
It's a small farm, they make great coffee, they're paid above fair-trade prices for it. |
那是個小農場, 他們種的咖啡很棒, 他們能賣到比公平交易價 高一點的價格。 |
fair-trade:vt.按公平规则进行贸易;adj.订最低价格的;
|
And they showed me how the coffee is grown. |
他們帶我去看咖啡怎麼種出來的。 |
The bean is actually inside this fruit called the coffee cherry . |
豆子其實是長在果實中, 這種果實叫做咖啡果。 |
cherry:adj.上品;卓越的;樱桃色的;n.樱桃;樱桃树;樱桃色;
|
And I thanked them. |
我感謝了他們。 |
And they said, "Well, we couldn't do our job without 100 other people." |
他們說:「若沒有另外一百人, 我們也無法完成這些工作。」 |
The machine that depulps the fruit is made in Brazil , and the pickup truck they drive around the farm, that is made from parts from all over the world. |
用來去除果肉的機器是巴西製的, 而他們在農場中 開來開去的收成卡車, 組成零件來自世界各地。 |
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家); pickup:n.收集,整理;小卡车;拾起;搭车者;偶然结识者;
|
In fact, the US exports steel to Colombia. |
事實上,美國出口鋼鐵到哥倫比亞。 |
exports:n.出口商品;输出额;
|
So I went to Indiana, and I thanked the steel makers. |
所以,我去了印第安納州, 感謝了製造鋼鐵的人。 |
And it just drove home that it doesn't take a village to make a cup of coffee. |
我更清楚了一件事, 要泡一杯咖啡, 需要的不只是一個村子的人, |
It takes the world to make a cup of coffee. |
要做一杯咖啡, 需要的是全世界的人。 |
And this global economy , this globalization , it does have downsides . |
這種全球經濟,這種全球化, 它也有不好的面向。 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; globalization:n.全球化; downsides:下降趋势;消极面,缺点(downside的复数);
|
But I believe the long-term upsides are far greater, that progress is real. |
但我相信,長遠來看, 好的面向絕對大勝, 進步是真的。 |
long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看; upsides:adv.半斤八两;n.上边;正面(upside的复数);
|
We have made improvements in the last 50 years, poverty worldwide has gone down. |
在過去五十年間,我們做出了改善, 全世界的貧困已經下降了。 |
improvements:n.改善;改进;改善的事物;(improvement的复数) poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
|
And that we should resist the temptation to retreat into our silos . |
我們應該要抗拒誘惑, 不要縮回到自己的小圈圈。 |
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; temptation:n.诱惑;引诱;煽诱人的事物; retreat:v.撤退;退却;后退;退缩;n.撤退;退却;退缩;退避; silos:n.筒仓;粮仓;贮仓(silo的复数);
|
And we should resist this upsurge in isolationism and jingoism . |
我們應該要抗拒孤立主義 和侵略主義的高漲。 |
upsurge:n.高潮,高涨;vi.涌起,高涨; isolationism:n.孤立主义; jingoism:n.侵略主义;沙文主义;武力外交政策;
|
Which brings me to my final point. |
這就帶到了這場演說的 最後一個論點。 |
Which is my hope that we use gratitude as a spark to action. |
那就是,我希望我們 以感恩引發行動。 |
spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星;
|
Some people worry that gratitude has a downside. |
有些人擔心,感恩有不好的一面。 |
That we'll be so grateful, that we'll be complacent . |
擔心我們會太感恩而感到自滿。 |
complacent:adj.自满的;得意的;满足的;
|
We'll be so, "Oh, everything's wonderful, I'm so grateful." |
我們會變成:「喔, 一切都很美好,我好感激。」 |
Well, it turns out, the opposite is true. |
結果發現,事實完全相反。 |
The research shows that the more grateful you are, the more likely you are to help others. |
研究指出, 你越是懂得感恩, 你越有可能去協助他人。 |
When you're in a bad state, you're often more focused on your own needs. |
當你處在不好的狀態時, 你通常比較會把焦點 放在你自己的需求上。 |
But gratitude makes you want to pay it forward. |
但感恩讓你想要把它再傳出去。 |
And I experienced this personally . |
我有親身的體驗。 |
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
|
I mean, I'm not Mother Teresa, |
我並不是德蕾莎修女, |
I'm still a selfish bastard a huge amount of the time. |
大部分的時候, 我仍然是個自私的渾球。 |
But I'm better than I was before this project. |
但我已經比在這個計畫 之前的自己更好了。 |
And that's because it made me aware of the exploitation on the supply chain . |
那是因為這個計畫讓我知道了 供應鏈上的剝削壓榨。 |
exploitation:n.开发,开采;利用;广告推销; supply chain:n.供应链;
|
It reminded me that what I take for granted is not available to millions of people around the world. |
它提醒了我,全世界 有數百萬人得不到 那些我認為理所當然的事物。 |
Like water. |
比如水。 |
Coffee is 98.8 percent water. |
咖啡有 98.8% 是水。 |
So I figured I should go and thank the people at the New York reservoir , hundreds of them, who provide me water, and this miracle that I can turn a lever and get safe water. |
所以我想我應該要去 謝謝紐約水庫的人, 這數百人提供水給我, 造成了我轉一下控制桿 就有安全用水的這個奇蹟。 |
reservoir:n.水库;蓄水池; miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例; lever:n.杠杆;控制杆;v.用杠杆撬动;把…作为杠杆;
|
And that millions of people around the world don't have this luxury and have to walk hours to get safe water. |
而全世界各地有數百萬人 都無法享受這樣的奢華, 他們得要走數小時的路 才能取得安全用水。 |
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的;
|
It inspired me to see what I could do to help people get more access, and I did research and found a wonderful group called Dispensers for Safe Water. |
這鼓舞了我,讓我想試試看 能否協助人們更容易取得用水, 我做了些研究, 發現了一個很棒的團體, 叫做「安全用水發放者」。 |
Dispensers:n.药剂师;配药员;药剂分配器(dispenser的复数);
|
And I got involved . |
我參加了。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
And I'm not expecting the Nobel Prize committee to knock down my door, but it's a baby step, it's a little something. |
我並不期待諾貝爾獎委員會 會來我家敲門, 但這是一小步,它是有意義的。 |
Nobel Prize:n.诺贝尔奖; committee:n.委员会; knock down:adj.最低的;可拆卸的;不可抵抗的;压倒一切的;n.打倒的一击;混战;降低;
|
And it's all because of gratitude. |
這全都是因為感恩。 |
And it's why I encourage people, friends, family, to follow gratitude trails of their own. |
這就是為什麼我會鼓勵 人們、朋友、家人, 循著他們自己的感恩之路走下去。 |
trails:n.山径;踪迹(trail的复数)vt.拖尾(trail的第三人称单数);
|
Because it's a life-transforming experience. |
因為那是一種會轉變人生的體驗。 |
And it doesn't have to be coffee. |
不一定要是咖啡。任何東西都可以。 |
It could be anything. |
|
It could be a pair of socks, it could be a light bulb . |
可以是一雙襪子,可以是一個燈泡。 |
light bulb:n.灯泡;
|
And you don't have to go around the world, you can just do a little gesture , like make eye contact or send a note to the designer of a logo you love. |
你不需要跑到全世界, 你可以只要做出一點表示, 比如做到眼神交會,或是發個訊息 給你喜愛的商標的設計師。 |
gesture:n.手势;姿势;示意动作;表示;v.做手势;用手势表示; logo:n.标志;
|
It's more about a mindset . |
比較重要的是心態。 |
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
|
Being aware of the thousands of people involved in every little thing we do. |
要知道我們所做的每一件小事, 都涉及到數千人。 |
Remembering that there's someone in a factory who made the fabric for the chairs you're sitting in right now. |
要記得,在工廠有某個人做了布料, 才會有你現在所坐的椅子。 |
fabric:n.织物;布料;(社会,机构等的)结构;
|
That someone went into a mine and got the copper for this microphone so that I could say my final thank you, which is to thank you. |
有某個人進入礦坑 我才能夠說我最後的感謝, 就是要謝謝你們。 |
copper:n.铜;铜币;警察;adj.铜(制)的;(紫)铜色的;v.用铜板[铜皮]盖[包]; microphone:n.麦克风;传声器;话筒;
|
Thank you a thousand for listening to my story. |
「千分感謝」你們傾聽我的故事。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |
(Cheering) |
(歡呼) |